Youtube buys Twitch for $1 billion

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
telegrapgh.co.uk says:
YouTube has reportedly spent $1 billion on Twitch, a site allowing viewers to watch each other playing video games.

The site, which lets users stream live footage from Xbox and PlayStation 4 games, boasts around 45 million monthly users. During peak hours, Twitch receives more traffic worldwide than Facebook and Amazon, reports have said.

Webcam images of players appear superimposed on top of their live gameplay, allowing them to chat and interact with fellow gamers.

Unnamed sources said the purchase would be announced shortly, according to Variety magazine.

Should the deal go through, it would be the most significant in YouTube's history, which was purchased by Google for $1.65 billion back in 2006.
What do you guys think? Is it a good thing that Google bought Twitch? Or was Twitch better off without Google? In my opinion, this is a great decision by Google. Google will hopefully integrate some social media into Twitch alongside to allow more communities to connect.

Twitch isn't really known. So, buying Twitch will probably make it more popular. But, the sad part about it is that it will become one of Google's Properties, and if we get the same layout as Youtube for comments... That would be bad.

Also, I hope that they'll keep the live streaming service, as well as the IRC. So, they should probably 'split' Youtube, and have Youtube on one side, Twitch on another.

Reactions: milesose
Twitch isn't really known. So, buying Twitch will probably make it more popular. But, the sad part about it is that it will become one of Google's Properties, and if we get the same layout as Youtube for comments... That would be bad.

Also, I hope that they'll keep the live streaming service, as well as the IRC. So, they should probably 'split' Youtube, and have Youtube on one side, Twitch on another.
twitch isn't as well known as Youtube, but it sure is pretty popular with gamers.
I agree, they should split Youtube and Google. They would have a not very obvious Google-like trace, and would make the website look better.

Perfect, because both sites stream videos. Twitch is still pretty popular. Also, it gets more traffic than fb? that's really something. I think it's a good move. YT will turn Twitch into something bigger and better.

Google is starting to have a huge monopoly on everything.

This will probably result in more viewers on twitch and overall, more income for streamers.

If Google were smart they wouldn't change anything with Twitch and let it run independently. If they try and apply their strict YouTube rules, everyone will go to a different streaming site which will end up hurting Google.

I want TWITCH to have Twitch, not YouTube!

Twitch has been purchased huh pretty bad they were making some good pal of cash after all but Nintendo must have feared that Twitch will steal the famous from Youtube.

Twitch has been purchased huh pretty bad they were making some good pal of cash after all but Nintendo must have feared that Twitch will steal the famous from Youtube.

Why would Nintendo fear Twitch ? I mean, just like YouTube, it's a way to get free advertising for them.
And, I doubt that Twitch would have beaten Youtube, since Twitch is dedicated to video games only, as far as what I have seen.

Back