Youtube COPPA is affecting almost EVERYTHING

• Thread starter Jisenku
  • Start date
J

Jisenku

I have an obsession with Tesla >.<
Towns Folk
Info from Chadtronic:
FTC Press Conference: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/audio-video/video/ftc-press-conference-settlement-google-youtube

This is an excerpt from the COPPA rules applying to what counts as "For Kids"
1574123290180.png

This is a HUGE thing that's going on right now, and every Youtube content creator needs to know about it. Basically, anything that is "appealing to children" or anything that is eye-catching is now known as "For Kids" and if labeled wrong, people can get fined up to $42,000.

1574123757425.png
Also, any audio content thats popular (wait what?) can be considered targeting for kids... this is so disgusting and horrible.

What do you think?

Change.org petition: https://www.change.org/p/youtubers-and-viewers-unite-against-ftc-regulation

I probably will quit Youtube

Last edited:
Reactions: TerraKnight
This mixed with the new ToS that'll come in in Dec, it's a double hit that I think, unless changed, will actually take out youtube. I fully understand protecting children online, youtube is terrible when it comes to that, but effectively taking out creators and putting them in a position where they are 100% liable for their own videos and making them confused and scared about what the hell to do is not right. I presume most people will just move to much more mature content, which isn't the best because children will just continue to watch it.

This also affects way more than just youtube as well by the way hence why the words "web site" is used, not YouTube.

Reactions: TerraKnight and Jisenku
There should least be an instruction on how to label your video. Still pretty unfair.

Reactions: TerraKnight and Jisenku
Basically, anything that is "appealing to children" or anything that is eye-catching is now known as "For Kids" and if labeled wrong, people can get fined up to $42,000.
I've seen a video on how driving drunk has a smaller fine than this. (Excluding any possible Jail time, etc.)
This is the video in question.
That's all I wanted to say here.

Reactions: Jisenku
So update on this. Youtube is actually far into the wrong themselves here. They've decided to ignore and try and hide the fact that there's actually a 3rd category, one which is exempt from COPPA and it is things that have a general audience. Stuff that both adults and kids enjoy.

This video explains it in a bit more detail. Youtube seems to just have a thing for juggling live hand grenades it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: Yumi Chi and Jisenku
Thank you, Youtube! They answered a lot of questions and made the FTC make the rules way more clearer

Back