Zankyou no Terror: A Review

• Thread starter Soleil
  • Start date
Soleil

Soleil

That fabulous Suicune lover
Towns Folk
343297993_orig.jpg

Okay, before I start anything, I want to get two things out of the way.
Number one, yes, I cried a little at the end. Be quiet, can you blame me? Number two, this is my first review, take it easy on me.
So, let's begin. Zankyou no Terror, also known as Terror in Resonance or Terror in Tokyo, is a psychological thriller that took the indie anime community by storm. It took me a while to buckle down and watch this beast, but when I did, I realized I was missing out on this beauty for months. Zankyou no Terror is a short little guy, only 11 episodes, but dang, I don't think my head could take anymore than that.
To watch this correctly, you'll need to put yourself into the right mindset. A mature mindset that doesn't necessarily need everything explained to connect the dots. It has no foul language that I can remember, but this anime is definitely for an older audience. So, I made a cup of hot cocoa on a dark night, prepared myself, and ended up binging the whole thing.
Enough of the intro, let's get down to the meat!
This story follows the tale of two... anti-protagonists? Anti-heroes? Villains? Ah, forget it. The two main characters are Seven and Twelve, clever young terrorists striking fear into Kanto, Tokyo, and its surrounding regions. They send mysterious videos to the police, calling themselves Spinx. An odd detective for an odd pair, Shibazaki tries to discover and sole the riddles of the Spinx. (Heh.)
The whole story revolves around discovering what these boys plan to do, and why they are doing it, Which, honestly, makes for a really interesting story. It has a very odd atmosphere throughout the story, a mood I like to call the 'eye of the hurricane' atmosphere. No matter how hectic the plot gets, there's always a sense of calmness, with a slight sense of unease. Heck, the most they break from that atmosphere is during twelve's flashbacks.
However... This doesn't come without its hiccups. Remember how I told you this anime doesn't explain everything? It doesn't explain a heck of a lot. There are some holes and unreasonable plot places that seem out of place in this show. I'd explain, but spoilers would occur, so I'll just leave it at that.
However, the animation is a treat, the voice acting is a treat, the music is a treat... And the characters are a treat. Oh yes, the characters. The characters are all very well fleshed out, and believable. Some of the side characters are a bit iffy, but I can let that slide.
If this anime sounds like your kind of thing, go for it! I loved it. However... Keep a Youtube tab open with a cute puppy video. Trust me. And some tissues, too.

Last edited:
Back