Breath of the Wild Zelda U: Gameplay reveal

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
According to computerandvideogames.com,
Nintendo used the The Game Awards in Las Vegas to show off brand new gameplay footage of the new Legend of Zelda game bound for Wii U.
image_321402_620.jpg

The video features Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma giving a demonstration of the new game, due out next year.

Anomie shows link exploring an enormous open world. He sets a waypoint which appears on a map of the world in the Gamepad touch screen before setting off towards his objective, riding Epona on the way.

The Bow was also glimpsed, along with the ability to launch yourself off the back of Epona and shoot arrows in mid-air via a slow-motion sequence that gives you the time to aim your shots.

Several details on the installment have emerged since gameplay footage was shown at E3 2014.Multiplayer is a possibility, while series director Eiji Aonuma has confirmed the game will featurefewer tutorials.

While the game has yet to be given an official title, Nintendo says it will release in 2015 exclusively for Wii U.
Here is a video showing the gameplay:

Here is a zoomed in video of the gameplay:

What are your opinions? Do you like how the game looks? What do you think about the huge world, the new features and items? Let me know in the replies below!

Reactions: Marc
I have a question. How large is the world compared to previous Zelda games on consoles?

From what I've listened to in the video, it's large. I hope there is an easier way to travel rather than walking or riding horses. I'm pretty sure there is because you won't want to spend 20-30 minutes to reach a certain destination >.<

I like that it's possible to ride a horse in the game and jump off while shooting an arrow. What I want and still am hoping for is the ability to make the horse raise its two front legs and rise up like how they do it in the movies (television), :oops:

^ That'd be a cool addition (which isn't really necessary).

I have a question. How large is the world compared to previous Zelda games on consoles?

From what I've listened to in the video, it's large. I hope there is an easier way to travel rather than walking or riding horses. I'm pretty sure there is because you won't want to spend 20-30 minutes to reach a certain destination >.<

I like that it's possible to ride a horse in the game and jump off while shooting an arrow. What I want and still am hoping for is the ability to make the horse raise its two front legs and rise up like how they do it in the movies (television), :oops:

The world, simply put, is as big as a major Battlefield or ArmA III map. There are so many places to explore, and I am 100% sure that they will add a form of speed travel. The sailcloth seems really fun to use, and it looks like you can go pretty far with it, assuming you jumped from high enough.
If you noticed, they say that there is an auto collision avoidance system on the horse; you can leave the control stick in a woodland, and the horse will keep riding without bumping into trees, even if they come into it's path.
I think that since the game will require major use of the horse, they would most likely add an attack where the horse stands up and stomps hard, crushing enemies under it. It would be a great feature.
The graphics look so beautiful. I want a Wii U nao :cry:

According to what I have heard, this map will be huge, similar to the one a sandbox game would have. I think they have tried (or are trying) to make legend of zelda more like a sandbox game rather than being linear. Honestly I don't think many people would like to spend time trying to reach a far away location, maybe they grab some Neburis form Skyward sword to travel long distances

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/miyamoto-discusses-scope-of-legend-of-zelda-wii-u-/1100-6424281/
This link should cover your questions/concerns well. To summarize, they mention that the Twilight Princess map is the size of what only one area of the map would be. Furthermore, regarding your concern that you brought up, it looks like they've taken that into account and are making it more manageable by breaking the game into chunks to facilitate shorter game sessions as needed (which would imply you wouldn't necessarily need to ride Epona allll the way across the map every time).

According to what I have heard, this map will be huge, similar to the one a sandbox game would have. I think they have tried (or are trying) to make legend of zelda more like a sandbox game rather than being linear. Honestly I don't think many people would like to spend time trying to reach a far away location, maybe they grab some Neburis form Skyward sword to travel long distances
The move to a sandbox game wouldn't be surprising given that they've already made Link Between Worlds nonlinear in that you can complete the dungeons in any order. Given the huge scope of this game's map, we might see something similar

I hope they return a way to travel similar to the bird statues in Skyward Sword, otherwise the game's traveling would be to tedious.

I also hope the horse has a way of finding you, because if it doesn't and you lose it >.<

But so far this looks like a great game though and I'm looking forward to the release.

I hope they return a way to travel similar to the bird statues in Skyward Sword, otherwise the game's traveling would be to tedious.

I also hope the horse has a way of finding you, because if it doesn't and you lose it >.<

But so far this looks like a great game though and I'm looking forward to the release.
Console Zelda games have always had a fast travelling option (ocarina songs in OoT, Song of Soaring in Majora's Mask, Twilight Portals in TP, Ballad of Gales in WW, Bird Statues in SS). Given the map will be even bigger than before, I'm sure some method will be available to us.

Riding a horse around and jumping off to shoot arrows at foes. I personally enjoy exploring and this seems awesome. I like how they brought back the sailcloth because that was really cool in Skyward Sword.

Riding a horse around and jumping off to shoot arrows at foes. I personally enjoy exploring and this seems awesome. I like how they brought back the sailcloth because that was really cool in Skyward Sword.
Funny you should mention the sailcloth. What I found interesting about that from the trailer is that it means that we're probably not going to be seeing the magic bar (again) given how the sailcloth in Zelda U seems to work nearly identically to the way the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker does. I guess gravity is going to literally be the only limit to the usefulness of the sailcloth haha

Back