Zero Escape : Virtue Last Reward Review

• Thread starter BrianXcalibur
  • Start date
BrianXcalibur

BrianXcalibur

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Well, this will be my first review here (and anywhere, really). Okay, so not long ago I finally decided to order this game from a local seller, and of course it never manage to disappoint me! :D

By the way, on to the review...

Zero-Escape-Virtues-Last-Reward-Review-Topper.jpg

Virtue Last Reward basically was a sequel to the famous 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 doors in NDS which then turned into "Zero Escape" series (as they would like to expand the franchise, likely). The game started with much "what the heck" moment, as much similar to it's predecessor, 999. Actually, this is a Visual Novel kind of game, (similar to Phoenix Wright in terms of genre, with visual novel and puzzle theme used) but with a hell lot better than the prequel in terms of text length. 999 consisted of like 90% text per dialogue, while VLR managed to reduce 'em to be more acceptable (for those who isn't a fan of VN kind of game)

The game itself has 24 Endings (including all Bad Endings, which was actually necessary before you can pursue the real route), and a total of 9 character route. This, actually is one of the upgrades made from the prequel, as 999 needs to be beaten completely (from scratch) 6 times, before you get all of the endings, VLR introduced a whole new way, a FLOW chart. This chart saved a hell lot of times, since you can literally "jump" from one arc to another arc freely. But of course, the game itself will force you to do that, if you arent paying attention to details. Wait, did I forgot to mention, you need a lot of notes? Well the game gives you 2 blank pages to write a note for (Yeay!). This feature really helps you to get the true End (as you will need to finish all other arcs, before finally be able to finish the true end)

The most interesting part of the game would be the NONARY GAME (heck.. it sounds a lot like Z***Jr. :eek:). The game itself (as what Marc has, the ally-betray one) is quite mindbreaking... as you cant really predict your opponent moves (Betray or Ally), even if you read all of the text, you should always trust your guts!

Well, overall, I was really satisfied with the game :D (really hope for the last, the third, but looks like it wont be here any time soon...:()
It gives a lot of understanding to the first part, 999. It's better to play 999 first, but, playing VLR first cant hurt, but it wont be any fun knowing all the spoilers if you decided to try 999 :p

IMPORTANT POINTS :
  • Average playthrough should be around 30-40hrs (as I managed to perfectly finished it in 40hrs or so. ;))
  • The 3DS suffers a hedious bug... that VITA Ver. did not... A save destroyer bug-kind of crash :woot: Well... all you need to do is DONT SAVE at any puzzle chamber (espercially the PEC, and Crew Quarters). I never get a single bug in my game though :sneaky:
  • Major Spoilers to 999 if you havent played, and interested to play them
  • VLR actually gives a "better" Bad End then 999... (The Axe End really bothers me a lot... its quite unexpected... :sorry:)
  • The ability to jump through timeline, the FLOW chart, really helps in terms of beating the game (as this feature helps us prevent being bored before finishing every route)
  • Oh yeah, the 3D effect didnt turn out to be that good btw, nothings special happens (if you compare it to ALBW's 3D effect)
FINAL WORDS :
Zero Excape : Virtue Last Reward is a must have for those thinkers, and mind-confusing puzzle lovers out there! While this is a dark kind of puzzle game, VLR was excellent in every aspect! o_O Well, thanks for reading my review, a feedback would be nice since this is my first game review :oops:

Reactions: Moon Rain, D4rkDragon and Marc
Nice review. I enjoyed reading it.

I'd be curious to hear more details about the content that earned the game an M rating, and if you think it deserves it. The last visual novel type game I played was the new Phoenix Wright, which I felt should've been rated Teen.

Reactions: BrianXcalibur
Personally, I really enjoyed reading the review. Although after the first couple of paragraphs, I kind of lost my interest. That's probably because of the hundreds of smiley faces hiding out in there, but although they're a little distracting to the eye, they don't take away from the review at all. I'd even go as far as to say that this is better than most of the official reviews on this site.

Good job! :thumbsup:

Well, I'll also give it a try if I get the chance. Having played 999 on the DS, I was also bothered by the Axe Ending. And if this one has less text than 999, it's a plus. Though I like Visual Novels, 999 was really full of text.

Then, I guess I'll be familiar with that game if I try it. Finally, 24 endings ?!?! That's a damn lot, guess the game want us to use the FLOW chart a lot, then!

Thanks for all your feedbacks @TAG @Dexter @D4rkDragon ! Much appreciated:D

Actually, I think this game got the 'M' rating mainly because of some blood in it. But really, this is nothing if you compare to the Bad End in 999 (it's quite gore imo...)

Yepp, if you consider a Bad end as an end too, it will be a lot, but the good point is (actually forgot to write about it) you can just skip all the text if you have been there (like before the route branched, so you wont be forced to read it all again, only make the other choice and continue to your desired route)

Reactions: D4rkDragon and TAG
Thanks for all your feedbacks @TAG @Dexter @D4rkDragon ! Much appreciated:D

Actually, I think this game got the 'M' rating mainly because of some blood in it. But really, this is nothing if you compare to the Bad End in 999 (it's quite gore imo...)

Yepp, if you consider a Bad end as an end too, it will be a lot, but the good point is (actually forgot to write about it) you can just skip all the text if you have been there (like before the route branched, so you wont be forced to read it all again, only make the other choice and continue to your desired route)

Np man.

Also, if you go into this game not knowing what to expect, and not knowing about the flow chart, it is a pain and a half. I started the game without having any prior knowledge of the game or the series, and during my first play through, a character died and the game ended. Needless to say, I was utterly confused because the game took me back to the beginning. I had no clue there was a flow chart and ended up having to go through the same puzzles again just so I could get back to the point I was at and make a different choice. I felt pretty stupid about it when I found the Flow Chart.

So yeah, if you're going to play the game, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. :p

well.. you seem... unfortunate..?
i can imagine, how you been puzzled by the game, and just forced to play through the beginning, AGAIN...

btw did you finished the game? the last part (after you unlock all the archive in hard mode), is quite... well.. interesting? (dont have the word to describe it)

This is really one of the best 3DS games out there. I got it a few months ago in the eShop for 12,50 dunno why it was so cheap. It's definately more than worth the money, I have at least 50 hours playtime. I recommend playing 999 first, because it's like not reading the first book of Harry Potter. It's rated 16, which I can understand, but it's not that I was completely traumatized after playing :p. I consider it a bit as a book, since the story is SOOOO GOOD! :cat:I was completely mind-blowned at many points and when I finished it the first thing I did was googling 'zero escape 3 release' so I find out that it's 'facing funding issues' and I was like NOOOOOOOOO! :cry:But then I found out about Operation Bluebird, who are trying to convince the makers to create Zero Escape 3, so I made a kind of fan-art drawing of Clover, because they're going to make a book with fanart to send to the makers, and I reeeaaally hope they will put my drawing in it :) https://www.facebook.com/operationbluebirdze3

well.. you seem... unfortunate..?
i can imagine, how you been puzzled by the game, and just forced to play through the beginning, AGAIN...

btw did you finished the game? the last part (after you unlock all the archive in hard mode), is quite... well.. interesting? (dont have the word to describe it)

I did finish it. I can't lie, the ending more than knocked me on my back. I could have never seen that coming.

well, yeah, the news about the third game really disappointing @Moon Rain ..
But they never open up about their sells worldwide, which doesnt make sense since the main reason they stop the third is because the second didnt get many good respond... :eek:

Well yeah, that will be more confusing if you havent played the first game @Dexter

It's because Zero Escape series is not famous in Japan (but turned out differrent in West). I'm following the Zero Escape creator in Twitter. That's why Spike Chunsoft are having difficulty to fund this series.

Well yeah, that will be more confusing if you havent played the first game @Dexter

Well, what shocked me was the protagonists revelation, the rest was a little surprising, but nothing compared to that.

Back