Zork. Has anyone here played this?

• Thread starter NintendoCosmos
  • Start date
NintendoCosmos

NintendoCosmos

I made Resetti's Bad list.
Banned User
I've played this back in the 80's. There wasn't any picture/graphics. It's a typing RPG. You type stuff like this,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User: Go left:

Zork: Going left

User: GO left again

Zork: Can't go left any further.

User: Go North

Zork: Going North, There is a sword left on the ground.

User: Grab the Sword.

Zork: Don't know what Grab the Sword means

User: Pick up the Sword

Zork: Picked up the Sword

User: Equip the sword

Zork: Can't eqiup this sword. Sword is rusted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's old school RPG gaming right there.

Played it since it was always hailed as the game that started a genre. Didn't really enjoy since I kept on getting eaten by grues

Sounds fun! I'm going to check I there is an online version of it. (If yes I'll play it of course!) How old is that game? It sounds ancient (in game time that is). Also for what console was it originally made? o_O

I would play it, but I hear it raises likeliness of being eaten by a grue
Oh and to answer your question @PersonSP , it was an old computer game. I think it was on a floppy disk

I would play it, but I hear it raises likeliness of being eaten by a grue
Oh and to answer your question @PersonSP , it was an old computer game. I think it was on a floppy disk
I already read the whole wikipedia page ;) I played it for about half an hour but then I got slightly bored, the concept is great and back then it must have been the single most awesome game around, but right now I'd love to see a similar game but with better word and sentence recognition (google translate was open source right? Let's use that!) and a ore exciting plot. After all without the visuals to charm you, all the greatness of the game has to be in the story.

I already read the whole wikipedia page ;) I played it for about half an hour but then I got slightly bored, the concept is great and back then it must have been the single most awesome game around, but right now I'd love to see a similar game but with better word and sentence recognition (google translate was open source right? Let's use that!) and a ore exciting plot. After all without the visuals to charm you, all the greatness of the game has to be in the story.

Back then graphics weren't everything. It's either a word type game or very pixel graphics. This was done for the very old pc's back in the day. It's all about using your imagination, that's what video games are truly made for... You can have the best graphics in the world for a game. But the game would suck. It's always not about the game play. It's all the stuff you can do in the game and the stuff you unlock that makes a game great. Take a look at the NES game The Legend of Zelda for the NES. You start out with a tiny shield. You walk into the cave on the first screen to get a sword. You can gather tons of items in the game to make you stronger, And the story is perfect. I would like to see another 8-Bit style Zelda game again, but have it much much larger more dungeons, more items. like the first game. Back then developers would just render some of the enemies in different colors.

I remember playing this, I remember getting stuck and helplessly lost in the woods :confused:

I remember playing this, I remember getting stuck and helplessly lost in the woods :confused:
There were woods?
Dang now I have to replay the game.

Yeah, I kept getting lost there and ending up at clearing...:(

Yeah, I kept getting lost there and ending up at clearing...:(
I got stuck in the room with elvish sword. I forgot the description of the room so i had no idea what was in the room anymore:facepalm:

I got stuck in the room with elvish sword. I forgot the description of the room so i had no idea what was in the room anymore:facepalm:

I know right, it's easy to stuck in that game

I know right, it's easy to stuck in that game
Jup and then I read a tutorial which kind of ruins the game.:confused:

Try pick up sword........Yeah.....I was around when all that started......let me say why go back?? It usually came down to trying different things to see what the response was. I haven't played it since they came up with games with graphics.....if you can find Kings Quest or Space Quest.....I highly suggest those much more fun!

I played it but mainly in a Call of Duty game, where you could get off a chair in the main menu and go play Zork on a computer that was in the room.

I have not, but I think next time you should make this thread in the PC Gaming area.

@Spinnerweb (correct me if I'm wrong)

Reactions: 18
I have not, but I think next time you should make this thread in the PC Gaming area.

@Spinnerweb (correct me if I'm wrong)

This is a Role Playing Game. It's the pioneer. the first RPG game that came out. So it belongs in here.

This is a Role Playing Game. It's the pioneer. the first RPG game that came out. So it belongs in here.
The Role Playing forum is for Role Playing, not Role Playing games (Kinda confusing xP)

The Role Playing forum is for Role Playing, not Role Playing games (Kinda confusing xP)

This is a video game site & forum.. Since this game doesn't have any graphics and it's all text. It belongs in here. Also I just viewed a few threads on the Role Playing forum here. And there are video game Role Playing.. Good thing it's not the Adult role playing games, that married people like to do....

This is a video game site & forum.. Since this game doesn't have any graphics and it's all text. It belongs in here. Also I just viewed a few threads on the Role Playing forum here. And there are video game Role Playing.. Good thing it's not the Adult role playing games, that married people like to do....
Well, anything non-gaming is in the pedia playground, also an admin agreed so yeah ;p

And any adult roleplay would be removed and the people actually participating banned (or warned, depends on how detailed or bad)

Anyway, let's stay on topic :3

Back