Checking IVs of Pokemon is important for IV breeders and competitive battlers. This guide shows you how to unlock the IV judge in Pokemon Sun/Moon so you can check the IVs of your Pokemon easily. Sun/Moon has improved IV checking compared to previous gen games.
How to unlock the IV Judge
- Use Charizard to fly to Paniola Ranch on Akala Island.
- Put two Pokemon that can breed in the Pokemon Nursery and start collecting eggs.
- Hatch 30 eggs.
- Fly to the Battle Tree on Poni Island.
- Talk to the guy in the blue shirt (NPC) near the PC.
An additional function should now be installed on your PC. This allows you to check the IVs of your Pokemon. Unfortunately, the IV Judge will disappear, however, you do not check IVs through him.
How to check IVs in Pokemon Sun/Moon
- Go to any PC (eg. Poke Center PC) and find the Pokemon you want to check IVs for.
- On the bottom screen of your 3DS, you should find a button titled “Judge”. Click it.
You should now see the IVs of your Pokemon.
The screenshot above shows a Typhlosion with outstanding potential and an IV spread of 31/x/31/31/31/31. It has perfect IVs in every attack except for its attack stat, which has decent potential.
To get a better idea of how much IVs a specific stat has, you can use the list below as reference :
- Best = 31 IVs
- Fantastic = 30 IVs
- Very Good = 26-29 IVs
- Pretty Good = 16-25 IVs
- Decent = 1-15 IVs
- No Good = 0 IVs
An IV calculator is an alternative method of finding exact IV points for Pokemon stats. Have a battle where all Pokemon are set to level 50 without the Pokemon having any EVs and type out its stats in an IV calculator to find out the exact IVs.