Should the 3DS die?

• Thread starter VirtulJordan
  • Start date
VirtulJordan

VirtulJordan

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
Nothing but good things have come from the Nintendo Switch. With great releases and promising titles coming in the near future, it seems the Switch is off to an amazing start. But with the Switch being a console/Mobile hybrid, should it be the system to replace the 3ds? This topic has been brought up countless times since the Switch's release, and people seem so excepting to the fate of the 3DS. I myself have already found my awnser...........no, the 3ds should not die yet.

There are countless reasons why the 3DS should continue on, and it's not hard to find them. 1 such reason is the 3DS was Miyamoto's dream realized. Miyamoto's true goal for handheld systems was making a system that could play games in 3D. An attempt for this was made with the Gameboy Advance, but that attempt ended in failure. It wasn't till after the DS that Miyamoto got the system he spent years trying to perfect, so why let it die so soon?

Another reason is how many 3DS's have been sold. So far the 3ds has outsold every large gaming console and handheld to date. It was a massive success and to stop making games for it would be foolish as there is still a lot of money to be made from the system. Which leads me to my next reason, making games. Nintendo has multiple teams for each console. So for instance, Nintendo would have a Zelda team that works on handhelds, on a Zelda team that works on consoles. 1 argument for Nintendo to cut 3DS support is so Nintendo would have a bigger staff to work on the Switch, but that's the problem. As Eiji Aonuma stated when working on Breath of the Wild, having the 3ds Zelda team work on BOTW just wouldn't work, as the 3ds Zelda team has a different method of working than the console team. So nothing would really change as far as Nintendos staff.

Another reason is side games. Sure the Nintendo Switch can have big games like Mario Oddysey, Metroid Prime 4, and so on. But can't the 3DS keep making smaller games like A Link Between Worlds or Mario and Luigi Dream Team? It's great for the Switch to handle much bigger games, but nothing's wrong with having the 3DS support smaller games as it hurts no one.

I could go on and on about it but the point stands that there's no good reason to let the 3DS die so soon. But that's just my opinion. What about the rest of you? Do you think the 3DS should die yet?

I don't think the 3DS/2DS will die any time soon, it was even stated that the Switch wasn't intended to replace the 3DS/2DS.

The 3DS/2DS still has a very large backing behind them, and Nintendo still backs them, and that's evident from this new 2DS which is coming. Even with all these games coming for it, it's not going to die for quite a while. Even then, it'll only die when the people think it's dead.

Like you said, Miyamoto wont let go of it that easily, the 3ds was a step in technology and it was a great achievement. It's going to be up to the players by when it dies, but I highly doubt that that'll happen anytime soon.

Reactions: Gamer4647, VirtulJordan and Mikaya
I hope they will make new functionnalities(if they don't, the consoles will become "old" in people's minds), but still let the main idea and let it retrocompatible with Nintendo DS cartridges. And if they could also let Miiverse live but in a better way, or doing something very similar and available for every N3/2DS family consoles.

Reactions: VirtulJordan
I think there's still a lot of life left for the 3DS. As long as Nintendo keeps making titles for it, it will survive. I don't think game production will stop anytime soon for the handheld. Hopefully online services will last for a long time as well, as multiplayer games such as Smash 3DS, Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS/Moon/Sun and MK7 (among other titles) are nothing without it. The console itself was revolutionary and too good to ditch (at least with the current gaming situation, I haven't been completely sold on the N3DS).

Honestly, just looking at the first party titles coming out for the 3ds, it's clear the end is coming sooner than people would like to think. The only major 3ds title releasing this year is Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and maybe Hey! Pikmin if you count that (and as a separate genre spinoff, I don't.)
Nintendo has a history of saying that consoles will live together, then killing them off slowly in a couple years. We were told that the Gameboy and the original DS line could live together, but clearly, that didn't happen. The same has happened many other times. At best, I can see the 3ds living until the end of 2018, where it will die slowly and quietly.
There's no truly good reason to keep it alive much longer anyways. With big selling franchises like Pokémon, which is arguably the biggest handhold seller, moving to the Switch after the end of this year, the main point of the 3ds is gone. The portability is taken up by the switch, and with the 2ds, no game can fully utilize the 3d without alienating the userbase. Focusing all efforts to create great games for the new system would be the smartest strategy, especially because the system is selling out as soon as it gets on store shelves. Keeping the 3ds alive until stock is consistent is probably Nintendo's actual plan.
(sorry if this is jumpy; I wrote it inbetween splatoon matches on my switch.)

Reactions: Mikaya and VirtulJordan
I don't think the 3DS should die at all.Even though the 3DS had been out for 6 years you'd think they might stop but they shouldn't.Nintendo should at least stay with the 3DS so they can make more games for it.Plus you never know they could add an update for the 3DS so it could be compatible and they both can play maybe Pokemon or Super Smash Bros. Now Super Smash Bros. would be good for the Switch to have it so you can battle each other on different systems.It would kinda be like playing Super Smash Bros. With both the 3DS and Wii U.

Honestly, just looking at the first party titles coming out for the 3ds, it's clear the end is coming sooner than people would like to think. The only major 3ds title releasing this year is Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and maybe Hey! Pikmin if you count that (and as a separate genre spinoff, I don't.)
Nintendo has a history of saying that consoles will live together, then killing them off slowly in a couple years. We were told that the Gameboy and the original DS line could live together, but clearly, that didn't happen. The same has happened many other times. At best, I can see the 3ds living until the end of 2018, where it will die slowly and quietly.
There's no truly good reason to keep it alive much longer anyways. With big selling franchises like Pokémon, which is arguably the biggest handhold seller, moving to the Switch after the end of this year, the main point of the 3ds is gone. The portability is taken up by the switch, and with the 2ds, no game can fully utilize the 3d without alienating the userbase. Focusing all efforts to create great games for the new system would be the smartest strategy, especially because the system is selling out as soon as it gets on store shelves. Keeping the 3ds alive until stock is consistent is probably Nintendo's actual plan.
(sorry if this is jumpy; I wrote it inbetween splatoon matches on my switch.)
2 things though. 1. Miyamoto spent years trying to make the 3DS, ever since the GBA. So he won't let it die so soon. And 2. The New 2DS just released this year, why release a new version that's gonna die out soon? I say it has atleast 2 years left in its life.

Reactions: Chronal
2 things though. 1. Miyamoto spent years trying to make the 3DS, ever since the GBA. So he won't let it die so soon. And 2. The New 2DS just released this year, why release a new version that's gonna die out soon? I say it has atleast 2 years left in its life.
Nah maybe more than that you never know what could happen

1. People spend years making new things. Steve Jobs probably spent years designing the first IPhone. Nintendo probably also took a long time to make the Switch be fully realized, as it shares many concepts with the Wii U. But technology changes and evolves. Keeping a 6 year old handheld alive for years and years is just using up resources.

2. The DSi XL was released in 2009. The 3ds was released in 2011. I see the New 2ds XL being like the DSi somewhat. It's the final iteration of the system, giving the signal that it's coming close to a close. The fact that Nintendo has cancelled production on the regular New 3ds just this past week, I can only see the 3ds having 2 years of life left, which is why I think it will die at the end of 2018, letting 2019 have game developement teams focus solely on the Switch.

Reactions: VirtulJordan and Alegria
I agree with @pk-espuur about what's going to happen. That's not what I'd want, but... when you see how soo the servers of Pokémon gen4 and remake gen2; and the server of gen5 and gen5-2 stopped working... you can fear that... even the badge arcade, that didn't begin with Nintendo 3DS console, isn't updating anymore...

Reactions: Chronal and VirtulJordan
1. People spend years making new things. Steve Jobs probably spent years designing the first IPhone. Nintendo probably also took a long time to make the Switch be fully realized, as it shares many concepts with the Wii U. But technology changes and evolves. Keeping a 6 year old handheld alive for years and years is just using up resources.

2. The DSi XL was released in 2009. The 3ds was released in 2011. I see the New 2ds XL being like the DSi somewhat. It's the final iteration of the system, giving the signal that it's coming close to a close. The fact that Nintendo has cancelled production on the regular New 3ds just this past week, I can only see the 3ds having 2 years of life left, which is why I think it will die at the end of 2018, letting 2019 have game developement teams focus solely on the Switch.
Did you not read through my whole post? Nintendo is not using up any resources that can be spared. They have an entire system of teams set up for the 3DS, a team that would only make things harder if they were switched over to the Nintendo Switch production of games. As Eiji Aonuma said, having the 3DS Zelda team switch over to help work on Breath of the Wild would only slow down production as the 3DS team has a different way of making games. Nothing is being wasted by having the 3ds living to make small side games. Also as I just said the 3ds has atleast 2 years of life left, possibly more.

Reactions: Dark Link
Nothing is being wasted by having the 3ds living to make small side games. Also as I just said the 3ds has atleast 2 years of life left, possibly more.

*sigh* Knowing Nintendo habits about that, they will probably end with 3DS this year...let me give you another exemple: Dragon Quest 9's server unlocked quests and updated a shop (not DLC for actual money, but just some bargain and exclusive clothings for in-game money). They could let the server since all the datas are actually in the cartrige and unlockable by connexion with another player or by a cheat device. It doesn't need a lot of ressources. But when I started the game, the server was already down, it's my brother who did a 2player game with me so I got it, but my shop won't update anymore so there are a lot of items I will never have, unless I cheat.

if they just let Nintendo 3DS family like that it will "die". and the New Nintendo 2DS is actually looking like the end.
But they could do new consoles with new things, and, I hope, with retrocompatibility.

Reactions: Chronal
*sigh* Knowing Nintendo habits about that, they will probably end with 3DS this year...let me give you another exemple: Dragon Quest 9's server unlocked quests and updated a shop (not DLC for actual money, but just some bargain and exclusive clothings for in-game money). They could let the server since all the datas are actually in the cartrige and unlockable by connexion with another player or by a cheat device. It doesn't need a lot of ressources. But when I started the game, the server was already down, it's my brother who did a 2player game with me so I got it, but my shop won't update anymore so there are a lot of items I will never have, unless I cheat.

if they just let Nintendo 3DS family like that it will "die". and the New Nintendo 2DS is actually looking like the end.
But they could do new consoles with new things, and, I hope, with retrocompatibility.
Again you still ignore what I said in my post. While the DS was a good system, the 3DS is the system Miyamoto spent years trying to make. Considering that the 3DS uses online features much more and much more indepth than the DS, they won't let it servers die out as fast as the DS. I mean the DSI shop didn't even sell any major games for the system, it was all just little indie games.

Again you still ignore what I said in my post. While the DS was a good system, the 3DS is the system Miyamoto spent years trying to make. Considering that the 3DS uses online features much more and much more indepth than the DS, they won't let it servers die out as fast as the DS. I mean the DSI shop didn't even sell any major games for the system, it was all just little indie games.
I don't ignore what you said. I just see what I know about Nintendo and sadly, I don't see why they would let it work so long... it's already old enough for the "video games standards".

I don't ignore what you said. I just see what I know about Nintendo and sadly, I don't see why they would let it work so long... it's already old enough for the "video games standards".
At this point, even Pokémon games, which have never really been all that intense, are pushing the system to it's limits. The hardware has aged to a point where moving on from the system is inventible. And as I mentioned, Miyamoto probably spent years trying to perfect other consoles. The idea for the Switch was clearly around from the conception of the Wii U; I assume the technology wasn't there yet and with the uncertain future of technology Nintendo didn't want to reveal their plans for it yet. I love my 3ds to death, but I understand it's time to admit the end for the system is drawing near.

Reactions: Alegria
Yep.

The 3DS is already an aged, compromised console that, although it has a great install base, will soon fully run out of steam, and no new model will fix that.

Meanwhile, the Switch is their fancy new console with a great start, lots of potential and superior hardware, plus more versatility. They should capitalize on that in the long term and put more resources on it.

Well not technically since many people sometimes are New to the device and might think it's still well it still is because Nintendo hasn't come up with another 3ds product since the "New" 3ds xl in 2015 although the "New" 2ds xl came out last month it's still technically alive because Nintendo is still making new games for the 3ds. Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon a game that many pokemon players and fans buy is coming out November 17 2017 and many people are going to get so possibly the Nintendo "3DS" might last until 2019 Spring or Fall sadly what do you guys think?

Personally I think the 3ds should die. Very few games are coming out on it now, and it has become an underpowered device. The only really major system seller left to come out on the 3ds is Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon. The new 2ds xl is here because nintendo is trying to get a few more buys before the really end the systems lifespan with the pokemon games. Gamefreak are making a core pokemon game for the switch which really says something, especially since they are normally very late to start making their games on the next system. Not only that, but the switch is a far superior compared to the 3ds. Most people would just buy a switch especially as the 3ds is over 6 years old. Nintendo is literally competing with themselves over the better portable (note I am aware the switch is a home console first, but that's not what goes through people's minds). Nintendo is also going to lose a few switch sales, especially around christmas, where a parent might buy their kid a 3ds instead of a switch because it's cheaper.

but does the switch have all what the 3ds has? like the different communications (local, IR, wireless, internet), captors the game needs for things like Bravely Default's amazing cutscenes in Augmented Reality, they need camera, motion captors (well I suppose the joy con do it), things like that...
plus... I personally don't compare exactly a touch screen to a... item to move in front of a screen... it's not the same action, you see what I mean?

and come on, I didn't call the Nintendo 2ds names because of the fact that's it's not a pocket device and the screens and buttons aren't protected since you can't fold it... all that to be happy of an expensive, bigger 1 screen, and no way you don't shorten your joy con's life if you just put them in your pocket, not like foldable consoles that protect them (and even the 3ds's buttons are pretty weak compared to good old consoles's ones! Game Boy devices had strong buttons, but now they seem to have problems so much faster!)

Back