What other languages do you speak?

• Thread starter ninjaclown
  • Start date
ninjaclown

ninjaclown

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
Since Nintendo is a Japanese brand, do any of you speak Japanese?

I have been learning how to read, write, and speak Japanese for about two years now. It's a really fun language. I had this aversion to learning how to write kanji. Being a native English speaker, writing characters seemed totally weird to me. Now I actually enjoy it. It's kind of therapeutic.

Any other languages you guys/gals speak?

I’ve been wanting to learn Japanese for a while, but haven’t had the time for it. I mean, I know a few words, like hello in Japanese is Kanichiwa, but unless you want to hear me say that a million times a day, I gotta go make time to learn it. I’ve been wanting to learn Japanese mainly because I LOVE Japan, and I’m crazy for certain animes that don’t have English Dubs, so I’ve been trying to learn what they’ve been saying. You know, stuff like that. I’m hoping to dedicate a little bit of time during the summer to this.

Reactions: Duffy
I use DuoLingo sometimes to try and learn more Japanese but I mostly am just an english speaker. I don't know enough words in any other language to consider myself able to speak another. :) I have taught myself the basic kana for Japanese though so I can kind of sight read as long as there's no Kanji.

I too am learning Japanese, but I also know an okay amount of Spanish too, as I did it in school, and that is one of the only places I ever seem to go on holiday

I tried to learn Japanese, but I gave up a little... tough I still remember quite some words.
My native is French, I speak Dutch, English (I bet you didn't guess it!), Spanish, and I tried German, but... well it's a whole story.
At school, when I was 15 or so, and since I took the modern languages option, I had to choose for a third language after Dutch and English, and I knew there was German, I wanted to try. But I was the only one out of the... 10 or so students who were in that option, who wanted German instead of Spanish. So... there I was... when I finished this school, I kept on the languages so I could try German, but I quickly realized it was "too much", and my vocabularies were mixing up in my mind... I just couldn't learn properly German because I was replacing words here and there with words in Spanish or English...

I can speak and write and listen English; I can speak and listen Mandarin but writing ehhhhh; and finally (for some reason after 4 years of high school) speaking, writing and listening Spanish has "clicked" for me, albeit still needing some practice and translation to a minimal.

Japanese is pretty useless for me where I live and I haven't really tried any other language so that's that.

Oh yeah, I am also learning Klingon...

Reactions: Alex.Dips and Alegria
What barriers did you guys/gals find stopped you from continuing to learn a language? In my experience, people are afraid to make mistakes in a second language even though their native language isn't "perfect". For example, if you say something to me in my native language and I didn't hear it - I would say, "Sorry, I didn't hear what you said, can you say it again?". This is something that sometimes doesn't carry over into a second language.

One of my biggest problems is making time to actually sit down and practice. DuoLingo can help quite a bit and has a lot of reminders you can set so it nags you to do it but most of the time I still wind up ignoring them.

I'm pretty happy just knowing the Kana for the most part to begin with though, since I can at least sort of sight read and then translate from there.

Reactions: Dowhat?
I know English, French, Kannada, Telugu and some amount of Hindi. India doesn't let you be monolingual

• Funny
Reactions: Alex.Dips
Im still learning about these acronyms. I try to learn more but so many end up being profanity all over and the ones i expected to be profanity were actually useful acronyms. Hopefully i will learn the good ones

Next year I’m going to start taking Japanese in school:). I’ve been practicing simple stuff but nothing really concrete besides watashi wa amerikan desu:eyes:

Last edited:
Some say mys first language is trash talk. But to those people I say "well it's definitively not English if you judge by how good I am at that" so maybe they are right but trash talk isn't really a language it's more of an art.

I mainly speak English but I do know Spanish, would like to learn either Italian or Japanese.

I mainly speak English but I know French too. I can read it but I can hardly speak it.

Usually I speak Indonesian, but I can also speak Hokkian (a Chinese dialect) because it runs on the family, being part of Chinese heritage. I can read English, and still learning more on Mandarin language. And I managed to read and understand some of the Japanese letters, too.

i also speak spanish (i was born and live in spain)
i learned english more with videogames in english than in the school
altrougth if you dont know the basics using videogames to learn is useless

Usually I speak Indonesian, but I can also speak Hokkian (a Chinese dialect) because it runs on the family, being part of Chinese heritage. I can read English, and still learning more on Mandarin language. And I managed to read and understand some of the Japanese letters, too.
That's like Trilingual/Quadlingual + what ever else you are learning

I'm able to partially speak German due to it being my school's LOTE choice.
I only know the basics and some other stuff too.

I can speak uwu! OwO it goes a wittwe something wike this. I'm not 100 pewcent suwwe what i'm doing, buwt i think this is a wanguwage... Maybe? UwU

Reactions: FuredeRika
Back