What other languages do you speak?

• Thread starter ninjaclown
  • Start date
Native English speaker but my birth mother raised me from being born half speaking in French all the time - then my primary school & secondary school forced french upon me so I'd say I can somewhat hold basic conversations in it. I also was in a mostly french community online a few years ago and learnt a lot of slang which has sort of messed up my way of speaking french :n-omg:
I've also been on holiday to france countless times with family and I absolutely love the culture & practising speaking it.
Currently considering picking up again from where I left off studying for GCSE and maybe take that exam in a few years. Would be a shame to waste all my time and effort learning it. (even if I'll have to go back and properly re-learn it to get rid of my internet slang) At the moment I'm doing some refreshers on duolingo baha.

This year from being a weeb I caved in and started to take Duolingo a bit more seriously and started Japanese. Still just learning the Hiragana tho and can only really say a couple of basic words and phrases. Very fulfilling / funny to actually go out now and be able to read some Japanese characters in shops & understand occasional words / phrases in anime. Along with french above I wanna take the Japanese GCSE and hopefully going to get some study books & lessons for xmas from my parents.
My dream for the near ish future is to take Business with Japanese in University and then have a year out studying in Japan.

In secondary school they also forced Latin, I dropped it after a year (((really regret it))) but now sort of picked it back up again and do the occasional duolingo lesson of it. Mystery and horror games seem to love over using simple latin phrases so might be fun to actually learn the language.

I also very briefly started learning Hebrew inspired by my step-family practicing Judaism (not that they can properly speak hebrew though other than the religious ceremonial phrases), haven't got very far with it and with the other 3 I'm trying to learn, I prioritise this one the least.

Reactions: Jisenku
In secondary school they also forced Latin, I dropped it after a year (((really regret it))) but now sort of picked it back up again and do the occasional duolingo lesson of it. Mystery and horror games seem to love over using simple latin phrases so might be fun to actually learn the language.
Besides being used in the occasional game or two, it's also good because a lot of English words have their roots in the Latin & Greek language, so it wouldn't hurt to try if you would want to expand your English vocabulary.

• Informative
Reactions: FuredeRika
I speak english. I learned latin at school for 2 years in 7th and 8th grade. But i’ve forgotten most of it by now. And I learned french at school in 9th and 10th grade. I still remember a moderate amount. And after I found out that the japanese switch online had shin megami tensei and fire emblem, I started to learn japanese on duolingo. I got through hiragana, katakana basica and a bit of kanji but it got harder as i progressed. I have stopped learning japanese for now cuz of school and stuff but i’ll continue sometime in the future.

Reactions: Jisenku and FuredeRika
I speak English as my primary language, as it was the first i learned. I took Spanish 1 & 2, but can only say a few basic things......i can understand some of it tho, but not like when they speak crazy fast XD. i can also speak piglatin :pepe2:

Reactions: Deepak
Back