Do you think children under 8 years old should own cellphones?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
If I’m being honest here, I think it’s reallllllly weird to let a child 8 or under have a real cell phone. IMO, they aren’t old enough to full comprehend what a cell phone can do, and they’re for sure not old enough to use and own one. If anything, let the kid use your phone to play games every once in a while, don’t give them their own personal mobile device!

Reactions: Mikaya
An 8 year old having a phone is often prone to disaster.

Bringing it to school is definitely what they would do, and kids can be huge jerks sometimes, and thus it gets stolen.

I could sum up more examples of this, but I'm just gonna say no, they shouldn't OWN cell phones. As for just playing on their mom's phone, eh, go for it. I don't see the harm unless it limits the mom from doing things she needs to do on her phone.

Reactions: AricAttack
Nope, especially modern smartphones: sum the fact they can be used to get photos/videos really easy to share and the ''cruelty'' some kids tend to have and you get even more cases of bullying; they can get in contact with all sorts of creeps and don't know how to deal with them - or recognize them altogether - since it's difficult even for adults; they're a general form of distraction during classes and teachers already struggle to have them interested; finally, children tends to take not such a good care of their belongings, so for many of them they would be reduced to trash the first week of use. :nailbiting:

They only reason a parent would want to give to their young one a phone would be for calling them or the emergency service, so one of those kid/elderly-friendly phone should be enough.

TL;DR: parents, buy your children this beauty:
nokia_3310_blue_mobile-phone-technology-news_hero.jpg
;)

Reactions: Hibiki_Kuze, AricAttack and Mikaya
Yeah I think it's really weird letting an 8 year old have their own phone. It's basically guaranteed to get lost or broken in the first week or two. It's probably better to wait until they really need it, like when they get a bit older.

Reactions: AricAttack
if i was a father, i wouldnt give one to my children until they are 10 years old, but i would let them play on my phone or consoles

also I wouldnt let him to have it in school and i would configure to have some preventions

My girlfriend had this discussion a couple times and we ended up agreeing with each other on it. So here is our take on it.

We won't give our kids a cellphone until they are at least 13. And even than it will be programmed to only call 911 or us (mom and dad)., and maybe the school as well.
so ... ¿they woulnd´t able to talk to their friends and/or agreing to do things with them?
thats is very overprotective, to not say it would be too much control over someone that at that age can have enough intelligence on how to use a cellphone withouth dangers

So I'd say yes to be honest but it depends on the age and maturity of the kid, and also what they do. If they go to a lot of after school clubs, or out of school clubs, go round friends' houses a lot. Then I would probably give my kid a phone because it's an easy way of contacting me.

The phone wouldn't be crazy expensive though, or anything flash. Something like a nokia 105. Cheap, basic, does what a phone should do. Wont spoil the kid, if it breaks it's not a massive deal, and will be less addictive for them. I mean heck, I think I can pick up that model for like just under £30 sim free atm so.

Reactions: Theresia and Shiny
Definite no from me. I've never seen a kid the age of 12 and under use a cellphone for anything other than games. During school times it's just a distraction as kids just play games in class. The only time it's used as an educational device is for being a calculator, which is something you can just buy for 3$ instead.

The argument that it's for "safety" is honestly not that great. Seriously, the chance that a kid is going to get lost or hurt and needs this cell phone isn't great, because it's something that parents are supposed to teach their kids. Cell phones and tablets are ways for parents to avoid parenting, for their ease. And no, children don't need to have a cell phone to get a call when they're at school, the parent can just contact the office.

Honestly, I just feel like parenting with most (not all) parents in the past 2 years has become lackluster. Cell phones are becoming a problem in classrooms, as well kids are getting glued to their screens in general. I get that some kids want to play games sometimes, so parents should either let them play on their own phone, or get them a home console. Letting them have something they can take, use and hide in a learning environment is not a good idea. And the idea of keeping a child safe with a cell phone doesn't make much sense as your child is most likely only going to be going to school and being at home the whole time. As for kids that actually do go outside, either supervise them or actually teach them how to be safe and to not do dumb mistakes.

I feel like cellphone addiction is a problem that is affecting alot of people, myself included. I dont believe kids should get cellphones till theyre 12-13. I feel like kids dont really require a cellphone and it would be better for them to be stimulated playing with boardgames or toys/puzzles rather than apps. Maybe im a little biased though , because I only got a cellphone around grade 11-12.

Back