Do you think guns should be in games with magic and swords?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Oh, also, Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. Nuff said

Reactions: 18 and 25110
I think this heavily depends on the nature of the game. If it has the kinda storyline and mechanics that will keep it balanced and not ruin the atmosphere of the game then sure! But if its just some random thing thrown in it can wreck the feel of a game. Imagine like a fantasy/magic game with all fanciful stuff, and then randomly guns are thrown in with no reference to technology or any backing/justification for them in that universe, just horrible x.x

Oh, also, Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. Nuff said
Devil May Cry. :D

Frozeng, I love you.

Reactions: Blue Knight
Completely depends on the storyline and the setting. In Etrian Odyssey Untold for instance, guns fit perfectly into the story. If you are planning to make a Harry Potter like game though, then it's a definite no. I have also seen weird cross-overs like magical guns and gun-swords and I can't say I'm too fond of those. In particular gun-swords. If it can shoot bullets, why attach a blade? If it's for close-combat, why make it a gun?!

In particular gun-swords. If it can shoot bullets, why attach a blade? If it's for close-combat, why make it a gun?!
So it can be used for both. This makes perfect sense in games like God Eater, where the monsters move so quick and get in and out of close range so frequently. In God Eater tho, the same weapon can morph into a gun or a blade :D It's cool.

It makes sense in real life too:
Yugoslavian-PAP-M59-66-(SKS)-bayonet-extended.jpg

Ahh for real, reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 with the main character (Squall) using a weird but cool weapon called a gunblade. It did so well that tons of people cosplay it and he even made his way into the Kingdom Hearts series. I get the whole inability for guns to mesh with magic well but it does work out sometimes. In a really cool anime called Outlaw Star that used to come on Toonami and Adult Swim they had guns that used "castor shells" which infused with magic

I have seen it work, it's more fancy looking guns, with magical bullets, not really realistic guns from a shooter. look at bayonetta, she uses guns. (amog the swordfighters in smash for example)

In my opinion, the concept of having both guns and swords within a game is something that is quite Japanese in origin, but it doesn't tend to sit well with an American audience ( except in the case of Star Wars). Thus, a game containing both guns and swords might not sell as well internationally.

Yeah, I know a few games that do it, especially Nippon Ichi games. Atlus also seem to do it as well.

Personally, I think it's cool. They're all forms of weaponry and a diverse cast should include of them. It gets boring to go through a game that's strictly fantasy and never includes any elements of steampunk or sci-fi in any of the areas or classes. I absolutely loved the steampunk-themed necropolis area in Etrian Odyssey V.

Giving my Necromancers guns in Disgaea 4 is fun. I can let them raise armies of the dead while pumping lead into cyborgs. I mean, Disgaea is mainly fantasy but there's a lot of sci-fi too, especially in Disgaea 5, which is part of why I love the games so much.

More games need to mix steampunk with high fantasy. It works so well. Nippon Ichi and Atlus' various games prove how utterly effective it is, it's wonderful.

Also coming to mind since I know of more games now, Blazblue's anime crossover fighting game (BBTAG) did that as really an excuse to animate more kinds of moves. It really only makes sense in these types of games because if you wanted move diversity and the like more options means more flashier and clever combat. If I were to pick a way to attack though I'd just kick the crap out of people with the power of anime schoolgirl Chie.

If you were in say an RPG guns can beat out other weapons in all ways but accuracy.

Reminds me of Rimelands: Hammer of Thor too if you replaced the hammer with a sword, which they did but you could hardly see it also different text is the only way I'd know. The classes basically gave Magic mixed skills and Gun and Hammer worse/better range/defense.

Back