Do you think schools need better methods of teaching?

• Thread starter 3823
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
In most of my classes, we always read from textbooks and answer questions. I always think of better ways to learn stuff and I wonder why schools don't try it too. I think money is an issue and they probably don't prioritize education like they do to war funding and stuffz. .-.​

Anyways, question is, Do you think schools need better methods of teaching? If so, what are they?

Mine would be,
  • On math tests, they should provide the answer and we should get credited for knowing about the process and showing the work correctly.
  • History class should have less bias. ;-;
  • My English class needs to be more interactive, as in hands on. .-.
  • I think more visuals should be incorporated into teaching.

Reactions: Mykaelochi, Shin, Frisk and 5 others
Hmm My classes and school are great though :O

Only my science class ocassionally makes us read from textbooks and answers the questions from them. If I had textbooks for every class I wouldn't learn much.

On my Math tests, usually 1 or 2 questions are like that. I don't want every question to be like that though because it would be too easy to figure out >.<

My Social Studies class has no bias but I see why you wouldn't want that :d I would think that they are biased to the girls though.

My English teacher is THE BEST. She tries so hard and has such great thoughts. If by interactive you mean writing a story or doing the things you learn, we have plenty of those.

I think that my classes have too much visuals, because there is a picture, maybe every 3 or 2 questions xD

Overall I have confrimed that our schools are the complete opposite of each other xD

Reactions: 3823
Overall I have confrimed that our schools are the complete opposite of each other xD

Welcome to high school. ;-;

I might skip High school ;-;
This is off-topic.

Don't do it. D:
You'll regret it. Getting a Diploma is really important and it opens up a lot of possibilities in the future. It's like a minimum requirement ;-;

Reactions: Jyoster134 and 532
This is off-topic.

Don't do it. D:
You'll regret it. Getting a Diploma is really important and it opens up a lot of possibilities in the future. It's like a minimum requirement ;-;
I didn't mean it but after what you said, high school seems depressing

I didn't mean it but after what you said, high school seems depressing
All schools are different. You don't know for sure.

Anyhoo, another idea,
  • Flashcards >.> I dunno why teachers don't use them. They're fun.

All schools are different. You don't know for sure.

Anyhoo, another idea,
  • Flashcards >.> I dunno why teachers don't use them. They're fun.
Flashcards work better than textbooks, I agree. Plus you actually remember the information.

My science teacher is scary and makes us do a single topic thing over and over, so I got the information beaten up into my head >.< but at least it works :p

Well I can say that some of my teachers do their lessons pretty different from others . Like my Science Teacher it's pretty much a quiz every class on the lesson :p I think there should have been something more innovative than just that every time .

My math teacher teaches just fine with some things like videos and games and work that is taught well , but other than that Science Teacher , it's pretty ok :p

I totally agree about the math test thing! It cuts down so much time on checking. It's so frustrating to do all the work (which takes me a long time as is, since I work slowly) then have to check it, only to figure out it's wrong. At least if the answer is there I'll know right away something is up. A lot of the marks come from actually showing the work anyways.

I think, for me, I just wish classes were more... not necessarily interactive, but did a better job repeating the information, you know? I remember in eighth grade for the first 15 minutes of class we would answer five to eight questions on things we learned previously in that unit. It helped to make the information stick. I know I did very well in science that year.

Also, personal preference, I wish my teachers wouldn't force presentations and speaking in class. I have had English & History classes which had zero presentations and others that had a ton. I have also received report cards where the comment literally said, "So & so would have done better, had she contributed more to class." like bro. You know I know the information. Don't dock me marks for not saying my answers out loud. ;-;

Reactions: TheYESDragon and 3823
I went to school in one of the top counties in the nation so I'd say my experience was pretty good but still, there seems to be an achievement gap. I think the education system needs to give exams that actually reflect what is being taught in the classroom.

Hell yeah. This is a topic that has a lot to be said about it, but I'm busy at the moment so I'll only read the answers :D.

And I'll have to disagree about math's tests having the answers written down. They should teach you how to check if the answer is right and to think if the answer you got is possible (sometimes you get something impossible as an answer like a negative number for an area/volume and you should know that something is bad about that), but solving a problem when you already have the answer makes you (or at least in my case) isn't a really good practice because you end trying anything mindlessly until you get to that number :p.

Yes, schools should have different teaching methods. That was one of my main qualms and problems with school when I was growing up because things got boring and, in response, I stopped paying attention, which affected my grades.

What do you mean by history being less biased? History is generally told by the "winners", if it so applies. It's hard for history to not be biased because the truth has been lost/distorted by time and there are circumstances that don't allow us to understand the viewpoint of the other players in history. I do agree, though--if you mean what I think you mean. We have to learn from history to not repeat it and, in order to do that, we must know both sides of the story. History is one of my favorite subjects as well as Language Arts so I don't have too many qualms :}

As for math... I hate math lol I've never been good at it but I think that's just me. If explanations were more clear and fun, I probably would've done better.

Mine would be,
  • On math tests, they should provide the answer and we should get credited for knowing about the process and showing the work correctly.

On math tests, I prefer finding the answer myself. This year in Pre-Calculus we did verification of trigonometric identities, which is sort of like what you described. The question would state that one trig expression was equal to another expression, and you would basically have to use what you know of trigonometry to prove that they were equal. I don't know if I'm doing a good job of explaining it, so here's what a problem would look like:
Proving_Trig_Identities.PNG
Basically, you either knew how to prove it instantly, or you had no idea. These types of problems were really difficult for me. I feel like when you are asked to find the answer yourself, you can use everything you know to work out the solution, so I prefer this personally.

I agree history should be less biased, but it's basically impossible to teach history without bias, so it would be hard to do.

I think my school does a good job with your last two points, but I'm sure there are schools that struggle with this type of thing, so it's always something that can be improved.

One of the main problems my school has is that we have to many students and not enough teachers, but they can't fix this problem without money. Some of my classes have upwards of 30 students, when ideally, one class should not have more than 15.

To compare, I'll use my Math class and my English class. In Math, where we have 34 students, the teacher is constantly bombarded with questions by at least 10 different students, because they don't understand the various ways we are being taught how to solve the problem. We go through this process 10 times in a class period, each time we have my math teacher explaining how to do it in a different way, literally covering all angles before we can move on. Sometimes the lesson isn't finished before the bell rings, causing us to have homework where we occasionally aren't sure how to solve some of the last few problems. Our teacher doesn't know half of our names, and is never sure which students have problems learning in what way. He's trying his hardest, I can tell that, but some of his other classes have close to 40 students and it's hard to keep them all straight in his head.

English, however, has a class with 13 students in it. His other classes have about the same amount. My teacher knows all of us by names, and even by nicknames. When we start class, there are two students that learn best in a different way than the rest of us do. Our teacher noticed this and Incorporated it into his lessons. When it's hard to incorporate it into the lesson, he'll teach the majority way first and then go help the two others individually their way. It's a much tighter-knit class where everyone succeeds, and most of class has test scores in the 97th percentile or above. But I do not feel as if our teacher is teaching us to the tests, as he keeps things very hands on, lets us write about fandoms, considering I turned in at least 5 assignments where I talked about Mother 3, asks the class whether we want to move on to Shakespeare or stay on the poetry unit, because he knows that we can get through Shakespeare pretty quick if need be and saw how the class loves reading poetry. Grammar is Incorporated in to free-writing assignments, which allows individuals to be more creative. I can go on about how I like how he teaches, but that would take too long.

The main difference here is how many students they have to remember. My math teacher has too many students to keep track of, which doesn't allow him to personally connect with any of them, while my English class is more personal, and my teacher understands exactly what each student will be able to do, and how they best learn.

In most of my classes, we always read from textbooks and answer questions. I always think of better ways to learn stuff and I wonder why schools don't try it too. I think money is an issue and they probably don't prioritize education like they do to war funding and stuffz. .-.​

Anyways, question is, Do you think schools need better methods of teaching? If so, what are they?

Mine would be,
I feel like they need to stop teaching to the test and yeah us real world stuff

I feel like they need to stop teaching to the test and yeah us real world stuff
That typo tho. :hilarious:
This is one of the rare times that I completely agree with Cob. Most schools don't teach you how to pay bills/taxes, finance, and other real life stuff like that. There's a YouTube video that I absolutely love that's called "Don't Stay in School" that touches on this topic in form of a rap. It hits pretty deeps for me and many other people.

That typo tho. :hilarious:
This is one of the rare times that I completely agree with Cob. Most schools don't teach you how to pay bills/taxes, finance, and other real life stuff like that. There's a YouTube video that I absolutely love that's called "Don't Stay in School" that touches on this topic in form of a rap. It hits pretty deeps for me and many other people.
yo I love Don't stay in school. Also, what do you mean by "rare times"

yo I love Don't stay in school. Also, what do you mean by "rare times"
It's rare that I completely agree with you, but that's for another time. :p

It depends on the type of learner. For instance, people learn visually, while other learn by themselves (like me), or people who needs someone else to teach it to them. I tend to learn better from reading a text book for some odd reason. The trick is to somehow get interested into what you are reading, though that can be quite hard.

Back