Do you think video games cause violence?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Lots of old men on the news are quick to bring up the subject.

I think they feel like putting a video game with violence in a kid's hand incites them to pick up a gun and start shooting people around them for whatever reason. Not just in kids but teenagers and adults as well because it's not just school shootings.

How do you feel about people saying things like this? Do you think violent video games promote violence?

Reactions: Samster
You realise there have been multiple studies at this point which have disproven this myth, and instead actually proved the opposite. If you don't have an addiction to games (which is a genuine thing regardless of what you might think, and it can be incredibly damaging), then it actually does a lot more good then bad. Improves communication skills, reflexes, teamwork skills, logic solving, all sorts. Even brainless shooters like CoD or CSGO involve teamwork, communication, reflexes, all kinds of different skills.

However, it again goes back to the mental health discussion. If games do lead a kid to go pick up an actual gun and copy the games, then that is more of an indication of both the parents and the mental state of the kid. Games don't do it by themselves. If you can't distinguish reality and fiction, then you shouldn't be playing games or anything like that without supervision or whatever. Also, parenting is a thing which most parents seem to forget nowadays which would help a lot in these kinda cases.

Reactions: Samster and KalTurahk
no

Movies, books, TV shows, radio, and magazines have never had this effect and neither will games. Not even VR. End of story.

Reactions: Samster
Tbh, this is just what the media runs to when they don’t want to face a problem (like the recent El Paso mass shooting in the U.S.) head on. They just pull the whole 'there’s no bad people in this world, something must be driving them to do it' excuse, which sickens me to my core.

So, in short, NO.

No. They don't understand video games. They're dumb.

Does fighting over who goes on the XBOX first count?

Reactions: AricAttack
Does fighting over who goes on the XBOX first count?
Depends on the fight

It can cause aggression but violence? Naw

Sure, the likelihood of violence around the world may have increased around the same time video games were first released. However, this a pure coincidence because people's motives for violence grows as weapons enhance over time. Video games never directly cause violence as, usually, characters are put in non-realistic situations and simply can't reenact those exact actions in the real world.

Reactions: 28142
The closes thing to violence for me is getting angery and screaming around for a while before I just log off. But it my opinion no, it does not cause violence. And about the school shooting part it's probably from depression, bullying, personal things at home etc.

Actually, beating the absolute crap out of a person in a video game actually keeps my violence in check, like seriously, if I don't get out my rage in that sort of way, it will lead to me bottling it up, then exploding in a second. That's why beating training dummies to death is the best way to get your anger and frustration out! Thanks, VR!

Actually, beating the absolute crap out of a person in a video game actually keeps my violence in check, like seriously, if I don't get out my rage in that sort of way, it will lead to me bottling it up, then exploding in a second. That's why beating training dummies to death is the best way to get your anger and frustration out! Thanks, VR!
yeah, but beating real people up is more fun and lifelike than dumb vr. (just kidding, please don't hurt anybody.)

• Funny
Reactions: Mizunil and Jisenku
Ive heard that animal crossing causes strong feelings of hate towards raccoons.

• Funny
Reactions: Trazzers
Ive heard that animal crossing causes strong feelings of hate towards raccoons.

I can attest to this.

Raise your hand if you've ever been personally victimized by Tom Nook

Reactions: Deepak
I can attest to this.

Raise your hand if you've ever been personally victimized by Tom Nook
Actually, Tom Nook's loan is really fair, has no interest, and you don't have to pay it off until you feel like it.

Reactions: 28142
Actually, Tom Nook's loan is really fair, has no interest, and you don't have to pay it off until you feel like it.
Tom Nook > any other multimillion dollar companies

Reactions: Jisenku
Tom Nook > any other multimillion dollar companies

94c.png

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Reactions: Jisenku
i dont believe they do but what i do believe is it all depends on what kind of game a kid is playing and how they are raised by there parents alot of violence comes down how a child was raised most of the time so if u combine the 2 people just assume

In all honesty, yes, I do believe videogames can cause violence, same as films, music, and every other media form. However, the sheer majority of games will not cause violence. Kirby is not going to convince kids to become domestic terrorists and neither is Sonic, Rayman, and so forth.

The key here lies in the glorification of violence. Games like Manhunt supposedly have a system that rewards players for how brutally they kill their opponents. This caused quite a ruckus a while ago after they pushed to get Manhunt 2 banned after it was supposedly linked to a gruesome murder in the UK. Of course, this was vastly blown overboard, and I've heard the copy of the game was instead found to belong to the victim rather than the aggressor.

I'm not saying Manhunt here is an offender here. In fact, as I have said, videogames do not cause violence so easily. It requires a number of factors. First of all, the desire for violence must already exist within the player, and it must be presented in a way that must specifically be appealing to them. These two factors are already largely outside of what a game developer intends with their works and the former is more or less entirely impossible altogether.

If a game developer, however, was to specifically evoke feelings of extreme aggression in their works - such as portraying a sympathetic serial killer as the main character - it becomes closer and closer to causing violence if the player is already unstable. Moreover, there are plenty of tricks to make to player violent, all psychological and, again, largely outside of what a game developer intends to do. The goal of a game developer is not to invoke violence.

This does not mean a malicious person would not be able to achieve so. If they had the knowledge and opportunity, they could easily create a game that causes the audience to have thoughts of violence, but this is not something yet achieved with any videogame. The media often takes the idea overboard when they speak of violence in videogames.

All in all, it's entirely possible that videogames can cause violence, but not how people often think. The idea needs to already be there in the player's mind and cannot come to light at all unless the game presents violence in a way that is appealing to them. Kirby, Sonic, Rayman, et cetera do not cause violence. I have not played Halo or GTA but I highly doubt those games will lead kids to start bloody revolutions either. The idea is taken out of hand in modern journalism.

Back