Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE

Help Donkey Kong and his friends save their home from arctic invaders,the Snowmads, in their coolest adventure yet.

You can play with:
  • Diddy Kong- leaps into action once again to help Donkey Kong. His jetpack allows him to float over danger.​
  • Donkey Kong- This banana-loving, barrel-bashing hero is ready to take on the Snowmads—with a little help from his friends.
  • Dixie Kong- She may be new to this game, but Dixie Kong is a big help with her special spinning ponytail move.
  • Cranky Kong- Cranky Kong can use his cane to bounce on spikes and other hazards. Time his jumps just right and you can reach all-new heights.
  • Snowmads- These ice-lovin' marauders come from the northern seas—and they're not giving up DK Island easily.
- I also heard rumours about Funky Kong being in this game too, not sure because it hasn't been officialy announced-

1370986524-3.jpg

WiiU_DKCountry_scrn02_E3resized.jpg

ss7.jpg

Donkey_kong_tropical_freeze_boxart.jpg

Will you be getting the game?

This game will be released on February 21,2013

I'm playing DKC Returns 3D to tide me over until this releases - I love the camera angles!

Reactions: Bugalet
I might consider getting this game. The screenshots look really amazing haha Also, I kinda find it interesting that they're including Cranky Kong as a playable character in this one.

Reactions: Reece
The publication awarded Retro Studio’s latest title Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze a impressive 9.25. Interestingly, they also awarded Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition exactly the same score, 9.25. You can see all the review scores in the latest edition of Game Informer, below.

• Donkey Kong TF – 9.25
  • Tomb Raider Definitive – 9.25
  • FF Lightning Returns – 7
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 – 6.0
  • Broken Age Act 1 – 8.5
  • Bravely Default – 8
  • The Banner Saga – 8.5
  • OlliOlli – 8
  • Danganrompa – 8.5
  • Dr. Luigi – 8
  • Repubilque – 7.5
  • Dragon Ball Z Battle of Oz – 7
  • Joe Danger Infinity – 8
  • Nidhoog – 8
  • Fable Anniversary – 8
DK Tropical Freeze: summary:

• Seems like generic worlds, ice, beach, jungle but “the variety is amazing”
  • Ride minecarts through saw mills, dash through a forest with a raging fire, etc.
  • Great difficulty balance, bonus stages are a bit ridiculous in difficulty though that is expected.
  • Water levels return, are very fun, better to control with analog stick than d-pad. For some reason you have to access the menu to pick one or the other.
  • Dixie and Cranky add new moves that work best to reach certain collectibles or specific platforming challenges. Rotating barrels allow you to select the best Kong for the job.
  • “Local Co-op is as much a mixed bag as the first installment.”
  • 6 worlds instead of 8 in the last game. But each level is larger. Reviewer says it rather have a smaller collection of the best levels Retro can make than a more bloated game with less quality levels and that is exactly what this game does.

Pre ordered.

Pre ordered.
I bet you'll have tons of fun, let us know what you think bout the game when your done :)

I bet you'll have tons of fun, let us know what you think bout the game when your done :)
Will do.

I'm *hoping* to download this on release, but if I don't I'll probably be getting a PlayStation 4 and a few games instead. Only time will tell!

This is the Disc Art for the game, I think it looks great.

donkey_kong_country_topical_freeze_disc_art.jpg

One thing I heard about this game, is that it has long loading times, "Over 20 seconds to load a single level? Good thing this game looks #Outstanding and will be worth it #DKCTP" a Youtube user commented on the video below:

The disc art does look great! Load times can be bothersome, but hopefully the loading screens have something fun to distract us it they're overly long. I hope the game has a real manual and not just digital.

More reviews of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze have just come through. Online gaming publication Destructoid gave Donkey Kong’s latest 2D adventure a perfect 10/10. This clashes with GameSpot who awarded the game a 6/10 and EDGE and Eurogamer who both awarded the game 7/10. Here’s an extract from the review.

It’s an incredibly crafted platformer with an HD sheen and an insane attention to detail, and any fan of the genre owes it to themselves to experience it. With the addition of control options to the already proven formula, Retro Studios’ rendition of Donkey Kong is pretty much flawless.

What do you all think about the review?

Reactions: Beast
The Donkey Kong games that I've played always gave me a challenge. Chances are I might get Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, but before I make the final decision, I have to finish Wind Waker and 3D World first (haven't been playing on my Wii U much lately so I don't think I'll get the game on its release).

The disc art looks nice and from what I've seen, the game does indeed look like a 10/10 game, :love:

Reactions: Bugalet and Reece
The game looks like a very fun and pick up and play platformer. I don't have a Wii U so I cant really play it, but i am really a fan of platforming games and this looks like it is going to be a hit game.
Oh Gosh, the graphics are amazing. The water and everything are really awesome. Nintendo is really putting their hard work into this.

The game looks like a very fun and pick up and play platformer. I don't have a Wii U so I cant really play it, but i am really a fan of platforming games and this looks like it is going to be a hit game.
Oh Gosh, the graphics are amazing. The water and everything are really awesome. Nintendo is really putting their hard work into this.
Yeah, they sure did. I even remember this one video where they were talking about how much effort they put into Donkey Kong's fur and how that took up a lot of space lol I wonder if this will be DKCR's DKC: Diddy Kong's Quest (aka the really awesome sequel)

Yeah, they sure did. I even remember this one video where they were talking about how much effort they put into Donkey Kong's fur and how that took up a lot of space lol I wonder if this will be DKCR's DKC: Diddy Kong's Quest (aka the really awesome sequel)
Hmm.... I don't think so because they will have to redesign the world a bit but hey, you know Nintendo's willpower and determination to get things done (In a good way :))

Hmm.... I don't think so because they will have to redesign the world a bit but hey, you know Nintendo's willpower and determination to get things done (In a good way :))
Well the new world IS entirely different from the one in Donkey Kong Country Returns. As far as I'm aware, this is the result of Donkey Kong crash landing in this other location and exploring. It may not be K. Rool's island, but it's still different places nonetheless. The new island worlds hold some promise

Reactions: 532
I respect opinions if they are informed and articulated well. That said, I don't think the GameStop reviewer was the right choice for the DKC review. They should have selected a staff member with more platforming skill.

As a part time reviewer myself, sometimes you need to be honest and admit when a you aren't the right choice to review a particular game. A while back I was reviewing a game that seemed good on paper, but I just wasn't having fun with it. Do I knock the game cause the genre just wasn't my thing? Eventually I had another reviewer take a look at it - and sometimes I've passed on games all together for similar reasons.

Bottom line, if you have a hard time with challenge, the DKC games aren't ones you should be reviewing, especially for a large site. Stick to the NSMB games, and let someone else take a look at it - someone whose skills better match what the designers have done.

This is the European Launch Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze trailer, it looks so much better than what the NA had to offer.

Donkey Kong is always a fun series, I'll be it hair rippingly frustrating if you're bad at the game :p

Too good. Music, graphics and level design are amazing. Best platformer I've played and years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dargsidan, Bugalet and (deleted member)
Back