Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Quad-Core

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Alex

Alex

#1 Communist
Towns Folk
Before you say to google it, I'm too lazy. And I want to hear your thoughts.

I'm buying a Gaming PC very soon (Hopefully this friday) and I want to know whether a Dual-Core or Quad-Core processor is more suitable for gaming. I know Quad-Core is better for multitasking, but I don't have millions of things open at once, and the Dual-Core is a good £40 cheaper.

I've also read that Dual-Cores are apparently more suited to gaming, for some reason. I didn't look too much into it. So my question to you, fellow forumer of 3DSPedia is: "Should I buy a Dual-Core or Quad-Core processing computer?"

Well, Quad-Cores are always better, but Dual-Core also delivers nice performance at a smaller price.
For example, my APU is a Dual-Core, and I can run games like Skyrim, Portal 2 and Team Fortress 2 without any noticeable lag (on High configuration, I never play on Ultra, I find this pointless, since they're simply resized textures :hilarious:!)

As for the multi-tasking, this is a small argument. There's only a few programs as of today (PhotoShop, 3D Animation Software, FormatFactory...) who support multi-threading. I doubt that games also multi-thread that much too.

So, take the one you want the most.

Well, Quad-Cores are always better, but Dual-Core also delivers nice performance at a smaller price.
For example, my APU is a Dual-Core, and I can run games like Skyrim, Portal 2 and Team Fortress 2 without any noticeable lag (on High configuration, I never play on Ultra, I find this pointless, since they're simply resized textures :hilarious:!)

As for the multi-tasking, this is a small argument. There's only a few programs as of today (PhotoShop, 3D Animation Software, FormatFactory...) who support multi-threading. I doubt that games also multi-thread that much too.

So, take the one you want the most.
I'm probably going to get the Dual-Core, and use the extra money to buy a monitor or three, but considering the fact that new, more demanding games will come out, how easy is it to replace a processor with a Quad-Core?

I'm probably going to get the Dual-Core, and use the extra money to buy a monitor or three, but considering the fact that new, more demanding games will come out, how easy is it to replace a processor with a Quad-Core?

It's all a question of "socket". Your motherboard only accepts processor compatible with its sockets.

Example: I want to upgrade to a Quad-Core too (that's true), but my current CPU/APU is an AMD A4-5150M.
So, I'll check what kind of socket it uses (in my case, it's a FS1r2 Socket), then, I'll search for any kind of processor who also use that socket (in my case, the A10-5750M is compatible with my laptop).

If the socket is the same, then, it's compatible!
Simple as that!

It's all a question of "socket". Your motherboard only accepts processor compatible with its sockets.

Example: I want to upgrade to a Quad-Core too (that's true), but my current CPU/APU is an AMD A4-5150M.
So, I'll check what kind of socket it uses (in my case, it's a FS1r2 Socket), then, I'll search for any kind of processor who also use that socket (in my case, the A10-5750M is compatible with my laptop).

If the socket is the same, then, it's compatible!
Simple as that!
Well, that sounds simple enough. I'll probably upgrade to Quad-Core on it when I have enough money, have upgraded to a 3gb Graphics Card and 16gb Ram, and I have three monitors. So.. when I have another £500 or so. Thanks a lot :p

Reactions: D4rkDragon
If you don't want to spend the extra 40 pounds and still have performance similar to that of a Quad-Core, you should buy a Dual-Core CPU with Hyperthreading. What Hyperthreading does, is recognizes your CPU cores as 2x the number of Cores actually present, with a significant performance boost. My advice is to get a CPU with no more than 4 cores, as most games are optimized for Dual/Quad core CPUs, and the extra cores will actually bottleneck the performance.
Replacing a Processor is as easy as lifting the flap, sliding it out and locking a new one in.
PS: Tell me when you get your PC :)

Reactions: Alex
You should choose quad core for more better gaming experience an not to forget the speed when running the graphic

You should choose quad core for more better gaming experience an not to forget the speed when running the graphic

Err... I don't want to crush your argument but... Graphics are processed by the GPU (Graphic Card), not the CPU.
And also, as I said, while Dual-Core is starting to be implemented everywhere, some games support Dual-Core but not Quad-Core, making it useless for the moment...

True dat. I've decided to get Dual-Core, anyhow. If need be, I'll upgrade to Quad-Core in the future.

True dat. I've decided to get Dual-Core, anyhow. If need be, I'll upgrade to Quad-Core in the future.
Also, make sure you get a Dual-Core with Hyperthreading! It gives a significant performance boost.

You should get Quad-Core because there's four instead of two.

Source: numbers

Seriously though, I don't really know much about this stuff and you've already made up your mind. I got a Quad-Core processor and idek what it does lmaooooo

You should get Quad-Core because there's four instead of two.

Source: numbers

Seriously though, I don't really know much about this stuff and you've already made up your mind. I got a Quad-Core processor and idek what it does lmaooooo
Lol that's such a waste. If you don't do multiple tasks at once, Dual-Core would be better than Quad-Core. I do rendering, texturing and I also use a Flight Sim at a same time, that requires a lot of extra processing power. My Dual-Core CPU with Hyperthreading can handle that.

Lol that's such a waste. If you don't do multiple tasks at once, Dual-Core would be better than Quad-Core. I do rendering, texturing and I also use a Flight Sim at a same time, that requires a lot of extra processing power. My Dual-Core CPU with Hyperthreading can handle that.

In that case, I'll be doing editing, rendering, gaming and other various stuff at once. I'll use it somehow lmaoo

Reactions: 532
In my case, it's pure Gaming. The core I have on the PC I ordered isn't hyperthreading, as it just came with it, but it is pretty good, working at 3.9ghz, and 4.1ghz overclocked. But, everything in the PC is subject to change, so it may get upgraded to a hyperthreading one in the future.

In my case, it's pure Gaming. The core I have on the PC I ordered isn't hyperthreading, as it just came with it, but it is pretty good, working at 3.9ghz, and 4.1ghz overclocked. But, everything in the PC is subject to change, so it may get upgraded to a hyperthreading one in the future.
Okay. I use my PC for Rendering and gaming, and a Dual-Core CPU can handle that quite well.

Dual- Core CPUs are sort of outdated for PC gaming. It doesn't mean you wouldn't get by, but Quad- Core, Hexa- Core, and even Octa- Core are more preferred for CPU intensive applications.

Dual- Core CPUs are sort of outdated for PC gaming. It doesn't mean you wouldn't get by, but Quad- Core, Hexa- Core, and even Octa- Core are more preferred for CPU intensive applications.

Yep, but games and applications are not optimized for Hexa/Octa-Core CPUs, so, it's kinda pointless for the moment to have one. Also, Dual-Core isn't that outdated; it can still run some recent games (excepted Watch Dogs et games like that, but I have heard not so nice things about the PC version...), and indie games (who doesn't require cashing too much in components...)

Well of you plan on running pc games like gta 4 and skyrim, I would reccomend quad core. Trust me, dual core processors are horrible for playing games.

Well of you plan on running pc games like gta 4 and skyrim, I would reccomend quad core. Trust me, dual core processors are horrible for playing games.

Wait, GTA IV ? Are you talking of the game that figures on the list of the "Worst Optimized Games of the Video Game History" ? (The game isn't bad, but its optimization is. Lazy developers that don't know how to port a game from a console to a PC. Eww.)
As for Skyrim... It's a LIE. My laptop (who is a dual-core) make it run smoothly @60FPS on High. So, Quad-Core is suggested only if you want to use Ultra.

Trust me, Dual-Core Processors still have good days before being thrown out of the market. Also, one thing: The 3DS is a dual-core handheld :p.

Yep, but games and applications are not optimized for Hexa/Octa-Core CPUs, so, it's kinda pointless for the moment to have one. Also, Dual-Core isn't that outdated; it can still run some recent games (excepted Watch Dogs et games like that, but I have heard not so nice things about the PC version...), and indie games (who doesn't require cashing too much in components...)

I'm not saying dual-core is some ancient technology, but for cutting edge performance quad-core is the way to go (simply more processing power). I have a dual-core processor on my computer and I can play most games on low to medium settings. Dual-core is definitely not bad- it's an affordable way to play games.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Back