How Long Will The 3DS Last?

• Thread starter G MAN
  • Start date
G MAN

G MAN

NYEH HEH HEH!
Towns Folk
The 3DS has been out for a while, and I was wondering how much longer it can go. Having a long-lasting system is great in my opinion, because you don't feel pushed to buy the newer one. However, the 3DS appears to be slowly but surely dying out. Nintendo can't keep selling them forever, and I'm wondering how long it'll be until they give it up for something new. A year? 2 years? 3? Who knows? Anyways, I wanted to know you guys' estimate as to how long it will last. Are you excited for the new opportunities, or do you not want to let go?

Im thinking another 3 years give or take

I'd be surprised if it lives to see 2018. I give it until midway 2017.

If the NX turns out to be a handheld device than mid way through 2017 would make sense. But if it isn't than maybe end of 2018

2017 or 2018 i would say.

Yeah, I'm thinking 3 years. It has sold a lot, even though not nearly as the original DS but it's super pouplar. It's slowly dying but it's still a good time to pick it up and play it. It's a really good consle and it doesn't have any competition. (Sony Refuses to support the vita anymore)

I'd say about 3 to 4 years, until the NX starts to get some good games. The 3DS really popular console and sold really well compared to how the Wii U did, though, 2017 might be when the last few games will be released. I'd be pretty surprised if Nintendo still kept the multiplayer servers open though after the NX launches for a while.

My 50 cents will be for 2020.

Even if the 3DS is replaced for a newer console next year (more likely in 2018), there will be more titles for the handheld.

I mean, next year is 2017 and both the PS3 and Wii are still getting new titles (even if the latter are mostly shovelware)

Well, just think about it: the GameCube was made in 2001 and people are still playing it and speed-running games on it! It isn't even close to being dead! So basically what I'm saying is that the 3ds will last a long time (maybe even forever :) )! And like always, make sure to have a absolutely great day, bye :)

I'd be surprised if it lives to see 2018. I give it until midway 2017.
@Pepy550 told me Nintendo will stop pushing system updates for it in 2018 ><

Although the 3ds is an amazing system (One of the best of all time IMO) sadly I dont think it will last much past 2018-2019 as then it will be 7-8 years old, which for any console is not a bad lifespan. Also Nintendo has said that the Switch will not be a replacement for the 3ds, but that something will replace the 3ds in the future, so if the Switch is coming out in 2017 march sometime, then we cant expect a new handheld console from them that year and most likely not the next year as well so that it can get a good start. When Nintendo announces a new handheld other than the 3ds and switch I think it will be in late 2018- 2019 sometime and come out in 2020.

Then in 2022 when Nintendo makes the nerve gear like next home console the 3ds will be fully discontinued and the internet service will be stopped or at least severely reduced.

Reactions: Jisenku
Well, the 3DS is a very popular and successful system. And with Miitopia coming out soon, I expect the 3DS to last a few more years. *TEAM LITTEN*

Even though many games would die out, the 3ds would still be alive because of games like Sun/Moon. Those games are surely ti last at least 3-4 years. Most likely, this is what might keep the 3ds and many of the other games still alive!

It mainly depends on when a new console with new games come out and when Nintendo decides to shut all 3ds online servers and focus on the new ones. My guess is 2019-2020.

Reactions: FoxMcCloud4302
To be honest I will be happily play the 3ds for a long time at least if the online service is up.

Reactions: Blue Knight
It mainly depends on when a new console with new games come out and when Nintendo decides to shut all 3ds online servers and focus on the new ones. My guess is 2019-2020.
Honestly, that's what I would say. Judging that there is a lot of games planned for 3DS, the 3DS will continue for a while. The Nintendo Switch will have to try hard to die out 3DS, since it still has a successor console, the New Nintendo 3DS/ XL, so there will have to be some extent on the 3DS life span. I just hope that it does not die out really fast, especially with Sun & Moon coming out. (Around the 17th)

Well long, but gameboy will always be the greatest

Reactions: Jisenku
Well long, but gameboy will always be the greatest
GBA could play Super Mario World and Mario Bros. both. 3DS cannot... wut?

GBA could play Super Mario World and Mario Bros. both. 3DS cannot... wut?
*cough*NES and SNES VC*cough*

Back