Is the switch joy con drift really THAT bad?

• Thread starter Deepak
  • Start date
Deepak

Deepak

Professional procrastinator
Towns Folk
So im sure you all know about the joy con drift issue. And its actually pretty common among switch users. So what i wanted to know is whether its as bad as everyone makes it sound. I mean, can it ruin games entirely? (Like super smash bros or animal crossing).

My left joycon started drifting a bit not long after I got my switch. From what I’ve heard, it starts small like that but it can eventually get really bad, making games very hard to play.

My left joycon started drifting a bit not long after I got my switch. From what I’ve heard, it starts small like that but it can eventually get really bad, making games very hard to play.
Have you found games hard to play?

So im sure you all know about the joy con drift issue. And its actually pretty common among switch users. So what i wanted to know is whether its as bad as everyone makes it sound. I mean, can it ruin games entirely? (Like super smash bros or animal crossing).
Both of my two left Joy-Cons started drifting a few months ago. I read a bunch of articles online. I even considered buying a repair kit at some point! But then I tried recallibrating the stick on my green left joy con. It was sort of brand new. I bought the green left joy con about four months ago at the time, do the drifting problem isn't that severe I would say. So after I recallibrated the green left joy con, the joy con drift was fixed! I tried recallibrating it several more time just to be safe. The blue left joycon however, the one that came with my Nintendo Switch, had a severe case of joycon drift. No matter how many times I recallibrate, the stick always inputs up no matter what. It's kind of annoying, so I replaced it with the green left joy con. I used the green left joy con all the during hand held play ever since. A couple days later, and I watched this video that said using WD-40 may fix the joy con drift on my blue left joy con. Luckily, I had some WD-40 over at the hardware store, so I bought some. On the way home, I was thinking if I just wasted some money, that I should've just bring it to a repair shop, which was more reliable, but expensive. Plus, if I had took it to the repair shop, the warranty will be voided. Not that it matters, as the warranty was going to expire in a few months anyway. (or a year, I don't know, I left the warranty over at my friend's house, as we played smash bros. immediately after I bought the splatoon colored Joy-Cons and my pro controller. He says "I'll find it when I do spring cleaning") But after I applied the WD-40, the joy con drift was fixed! Sure, it felt a bit slippery at first, but after a few weeks, the feel went back to normal. When I joined the forum, Sky told me that Joy Con drift was in every Joy Con, so I concluded that I'm lucky it didn't happen to me yet. But as for my Joy-Cons situation right now, they're feeling better than ever! I never stopped using the green left joy con as my default joycon for handheld play, because when I put back the blue left joy con, it just feels weird now. So I now play with green and red Joy-Cons all the time.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my red right joy con (the one that came with my switch along with the blue left joy con) experience minor joy con drift, but after I recallibrated it, it's fine now. For the pink right joy con that came with the green left joy con, it felt off one time, not sure if it was joy con drift, but I recallibrated it just in case. After I recallibrated it, the pink right joycon felt fine.

Reactions: Deepak
Yea it's pretty bad. It's a full on hardware fault caused by them cheaping out, It's not a random issue that can happen in some. Lubricants and stuff can mask the issue for varied amount of time (unless the drifting is cause by another reason for now).

I only really started noticing my left joycon drifting when it started reaching the stupidly bad levels. Tried to calibrate it the best I could but nothing helped much. I would be playing a game like cat quest 2 and I'd just be constantly walking around the place, made the game basically unplayable since I would be constantly moving and in that game, there's no pressure sensitive walking, meaning it's always at full speed.

After trying to get new controllers I got a 3rd party pro controller and a new set of joycons. Those all worked perfectly fine. So I said to myself at this point, I have a pair of backup joycons, why not try and fix my drifting one? I ordered a couple of replacement sticks off of amazon since I already had the tools and when they came I followed a guide and sucessfully replaced the stick. Was a ton easier then I thought it'd be, even with my kinda shaky hands I didn't break anything. After replacing it I went in to calibrate it and I was incredibly suprised by how unusuable the new stick was with the calibration I had to use for the broken one, it was just everywhere. Seems like I kept calibrating it and the issue was small enough that that would "fix it", and it was only until calibration couldn't do anything anymore is when I finally noticed.

I've now got 2 perfectly working sets of joycons + a spare new stick ready to replace if/when needed. I looked as well at the stick that was broken and I can verify the hardware issue, the grooves where present and they where deep as hell.

Yea it's pretty bad. It's a full on hardware fault caused by them cheaping out, It's not a random issue that can happen in some. Lubricants and stuff can mask the issue for varied amount of time (unless the drifting is cause by another reason for now).

I only really started noticing my left joycon drifting when it started reaching the stupidly bad levels. Tried to calibrate it the best I could but nothing helped much. I would be playing a game like cat quest 2 and I'd just be constantly walking around the place, made the game basically unplayable since I would be constantly moving and in that game, there's no pressure sensitive walking, meaning it's always at full speed.

After trying to get new controllers I got a 3rd party pro controller and a new set of joycons. Those all worked perfectly fine. So I said to myself at this point, I have a pair of backup joycons, why not try and fix my drifting one? I ordered a couple of replacement sticks off of amazon since I already had the tools and when they came I followed a guide and sucessfully replaced the stick. Was a ton easier then I thought it'd be, even with my kinda shaky hands I didn't break anything. After replacing it I went in to calibrate it and I was incredibly suprised by how unusuable the new stick was with the calibration I had to use for the broken one, it was just everywhere. Seems like I kept calibrating it and the issue was small enough that that would "fix it", and it was only until calibration couldn't do anything anymore is when I finally noticed.

I've now got 2 perfectly working sets of joycons + a spare new stick ready to replace if/when needed. I looked as well at the stick that was broken and I can verify the hardware issue, the grooves where present and they where deep as hell.
so would a game like smash bros (which has pressure sensitive walking i think) be ruined entirely cause of drift?

so would a game like smash bros (which has pressure sensitive walking i think) be ruined entirely cause of drift?

It would have been much more difficult, possibly not fully unplayable but certainly wouldn't have been a fun time. Pokemon was hard to play as well, I kept walking into pokemon or into trainers.

I first got it when trying to sneak along a cliff in Dragon Quest Builders 2. That was impossible, it kept making me fall off and have to start again, so I guess it depends on the game.
I had it again on another joy-con while playing Fortnite with the kids, that wasn't so bad to begin with, but it got progressively worse. 7 year old insisted it wasn't a problem for him on Minecraft. I am sure it was, he just didn't want to use the replacement controller while it was sent away for repair.

Have you found games hard to play?

Not yet. At this point it’s just a slight creep to the right that I usually just notice while playing Animal Crossing.

I got drift on my left joycon and I only had issues with my cjaracter randomly running left in some games, 5ml of rubbing alcohol fixed it and I havent had any issues since. Really bad drift could probably make alot of games unplayable so I'm glad I fixed my drift as soon as I noticed it.

I have gotten joycon drift in all 3 pairs I have purchased. I also have mild use with them lol

it mostly is annoying with games like Pokemon when i'm trying to fly on the map, or animal crossing will sometimes do whatever it wants

I guess i have been super lucky with my switch cause i have never experienced the joycon drift luckily. perhaps its because i have the lets go pikachu/eevee switch? perhaps that newer model fixed the joycon drift? im not sure but i have had it since the lets go games came out and so far i haven't experienced any joy con drifting

Reactions: SmugWolff
perhaps that newer model fixed the joycon drift?
I've got a newer model and had drift with it, drift is more a use thing, if you use they joystick alot the it will start to drift because of nintendos choice in hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: Eevee
Mainly the reason the joycon has drift is cause of dirt inside of the stick. Pretty much basic hardware flaws. I'm pretty surprised Nintendo of America gotten sued over this issue making it where the joycon repairs for drift is now free. It's honestly pretty easy to fix or lesson the joycon drift. You basically clean the inside of your joycons stick with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Mainly keep your console clean for it to work properly. I do agree drift is a pain in the but tho honestly.

Reactions: Mizunil
Its terrible >_>
I've sent in a joycon when they were doing free repairs, the same joycon is drifting terribly again, and I don't even use the switch that much so idk. It mainly ruins smash and splatoon for me, but since its the right joycon it doesn't really effect games like ACNH since its just the camera angle, but still annoying.
You basically clean the inside of your joycons stick with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Mainly keep your console clean for it to work properly. I do agree drift is a pain in the but tho honestly.
Ty for the tip, I'll try this out ^

Ty for the tip, I'll try this out ^

Lube is only going to help for a bit. There's 2 kinds of the drift, one which is caused by dirt which can be fixed with cleaning, the other is the inherantly flawed hardware that will eventually wear down and be forced to replace. The latter, cleaning it might help a small bit but not for long.

• Informative
Reactions: ShyGuy64 and Mizunil
yes its that bad!! especially for FPS! i really do hate drifts lol

It's really annoying in acnh, especially when ur trying make a path, planting or catching things. Recently was trying to play Pikmin 3 deluxe with my gf but it was just unplayable cause having ur cursor where u want to be is very crucial to the gameplay.

Reactions: Mizunil and Deepak
Lube is only going to help for a bit.
Yeah that’s exactly what ended up happening, I did the q-tip + rubbing alcohol and it got rid of the drift for only a few days. It did reduce a little but the drift will probably come back fully within another few days if I keep playing

Reactions: 28142
So quick update:
I have drift on both sticks but they both behave differently. On my right stick, its the usual drift case. It slowly moves up when im not touching it. But its VERY slight and it happens pretty rarely. It doesnt affect gameplay for me tbh. Because splatoon doesnt have any movements for r stick moving up/down and for smash bros, the stick doesnt drift far enough upwards to register as an attack. And as for my left stick, thats the weird case. It all works normally, but when I tilt it right allthe way, it doesnt register it properly. So if i push it right like 9/10ths of the way, its all fine, but push it a bit more and the system registers it as me not touching the stick. So this doesnt affect me either too much. Sometimes, when running in smash bros, my character suddenly slows down, but thats actually helpful because it confuses the opponent :p .

So here's another question I have: Does it get worse? Is it possible that my drift will stay in the current situation which i'm ok with? Or will it become way worse to the point that i cant play my games anymore?

Reactions: Duffy
Back