Kids with technology?

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
I can´t say anything about that I never got a Smart Phone and now I don´t want to buy one
But I think you shouldn´t give a smartphone/tablet to a Kid that´s younger than 13

Smartphones destroy necks, it's a shame to see kids with them ;__;

When I walk in the streets, I often bump into zombies stopping randomly to watch their text messages, and I'm the one who should be sorry, according to them... *sigh*

I think before giving a device like that to a kid/teen, some education is needed on the parents' side to raise awareness about what it can cause and all. Then it should be supervised at the beginning, until the youngster is mature enough to be left alone with it.

I dislike seeing kids with smartphones nowadays, I mean it's fun to have something to do when out and bored but now it's even affecting gaming - you see kids emulating Pokemon on their phones while badmouthing Nintendo and playing the new fad minigame.

I think its okay for kids to play on tablets. While still not a substitute to a parent teaching a kid, tablets/smartphones can be used as a tool to help them learn new things. Heck, I have a cousin with an iPad loaded with nothing but educational apps.

Of course parents should not forget to also teach moderation/self-control. After all, too much of something is rarely ever good.

I have. One time I saw a kid with a 3ds and his older brother with a Psp vita. When I saw what they were playing, the young guy was playing Mario kart 7 and the old guy was playing Need for speed.

I agree...I a parent buying their three year old a IPhone 6...what's a three year old going to do with a expensive phone? Aside from break it...I mean I get if it's one of those phones that two buttons one for 911 and the other for home or parent but nothing advanced like IPhone.

There is many inappropriate things on the Internet that even I quickly flee from that will appear if you misspell a website name...that's why I try to never misspell sites.

And not to mention they call people or answer the phone to strangers.

I'm not too worried about Ipads for kids or kindle because you can put timers on them and parental controls blocking sites.

Though honestly I think the only tech little kids (five or younger...I'll even say six) should stick with handheld game systems (namely nintendo).

But I also think that if they pass a 'test' then they could get one.

the test being if they see a number they see a number that isn't familiar don't answer, if they see mom or dads number and they answer then they can get one.

Technology is a great tool, and I believe with proper guidance children will benefit from using it. It really is up to the parent to monitor and control whatever their child is doing even if they are in physical sight.

I was raised by a single parent and had a babysitter called "The Television" and I came out just fine. Laptops/Smartphones/Tablets are the relative equivalent of that experience or lack of.

I am a happy parent of a six month old bundle of cuteness, but personally if my child is not able to explain to me how a computer works, then I will not allow him to even touch that kind of technology. (No, the motherboard is not the board that mom stands on. jk.)

I can talk about this issue all day and in more intricate detail, but I'm lazy so.... yeah.

It annoys me hard though nothing I can really do about it. My little sister has a tablet designed for toddlers and she treats it like absolute garbage, throws it around and stuff.

I've seen plenty of kids in stores with tablets and smartphones (one time I saw a kid that was young enough to be sitting in the front of the cart playing on an iPad, I was like wat) and I really just don't understand how people can hand over their expensive devices like that. I've let my sister play my old Gameboy before but never anything new.

It annoys me hard though nothing I can really do about it. My little sister has a tablet designed for toddlers and she treats it like absolute garbage, throws it around and stuff.

I've seen plenty of kids in stores with tablets and smartphones (one time I saw a kid that was young enough to be sitting in the front of the cart playing on an iPad, I was like wat) and I really just don't understand how people can hand over their expensive devices like that. I've let my sister play my old Gameboy before but never anything new.

You see, that's the point I was getting at, younger children and toddlers have yet to develop appreciation for valuables. Do you think your sister would know the difference in value of her toddler tablet and an Ipad with a similar color protective case? Value is so hard to define though, because everyone has a different take on it. I can only suggest that you ignore how others conduct themselves and take the time to show your sister what you value and what she may value in the future.

Back