Most Underrated/Under-Appreciated Nintendo games ?

• Thread starter mrlmaokun
  • Start date
mrlmaokun

mrlmaokun

I am the chosen one.
Towns Folk
What games do you think need more recognition or unfairly disregarded ?

Personally I think Pokemon Ranger - Shadows of Almia is a heavily overlooked game. It was a lot of fun and the missions in the game made it all the much more fun. There was DLC for Darkrai for DPPt too haha. On top of that the story was really good as well. I hope it gets a sequel on the 3DS, really liked the PR series.

latest

Eh I thought the original Ranger was better. And that's not nostalgia because I played Shadows of Almia first, but I do agree that both are overlooked.

I think Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I mean a lot of people played it, cuz it's Mario, but a lot of people preferred Superstar Saga/the main series over it, whether it be nostalgia or just what they think, I don't know. But I liked the game.

Also Pokemon Platinum is probably the most hated main series Pokemon game. Besides gen 5 I guess

Reactions: Moon Rain and MindzEye
Would "Nintendo game" apply to third-party games on Nintendo consoles?

If so, Fighter's Destiny is a rad N64 tournament-type fighting game I know you haven't heard of. The strategy behind it
was a bit deeper than I expected it to be.

If not, I'm betting everyone's already forgot WarioWare DIY. I felt like such a genius programming "happy birthday" messages, rockin' music tracks, and the occasional mini-game. (Although I never got to buy the expansion for Wii.)

Sometimes I think Pokemon Art Academy may count as one, because it may be getting overlooked for some because of being associated with Pokemon, one of the well-known Nintendo franchise, but I'm sure it's gonna be a treat to anyone who wanted to draw and is a fan of Pokemon for sure. :)

Sometimes I think Pokemon Art Academy may count as one, because it may be getting overlooked for some because of being associated with Pokemon, one of the well-known Nintendo franchise, but I'm sure it's gonna be a treat to anyone who wanted to draw and is a fan of Pokemon for sure. :)
Eh, the reason I didn't buy it is because I can draw Pokemon with a pencil and paper. If there's something that made Art Academy special I don't really see it.

Then again I may just be proving your point

Reactions: Mikaya and MindzEye
Eh, the reason I didn't buy it is because I can draw Pokemon with a pencil and paper. If there's something that made Art Academy special I don't really see it.

Then again I may just be proving your point
There are a few differences I've heard of: deeper zoom-in, a freer color mixing system, BG templates, more tools,
I think I even heard there was a select tool...
But I've never played it, nor do I think it'd improve my style.

There are a few differences I've heard of: deeper zoom-in, a freer color mixing system, BG templates, more tools,
I think I even heard there was a select tool...
But I've never played it, nor do I think it'd improve my style.
That sounds kinda cool but I think I will stick to normal drawing

But I've never played it

I would pick up Pokemon Art Academy if I ever get it. As a kid I loved drawing Pokemon but after a while the pencil and paper stopped appealing to me, it never came to life like the beautiful tablet drawn ones I saw every day on DeviantArt. It used to frustrate me a lot that I deleted my account lol; but Art Academy is definitely something I can use to achieve that. Who knows, it might spark that interest in art I lost all those years ago. I definitely agree it's an under-appreciated title, niche, but very unappreciated.

but very unappreciated.
Ya missed a few good parts of my above comment! I'm editorially offended! :pompus:

Reactions: MindzEye
Eh I thought the original Ranger was better. And that's not nostalgia because I played Shadows of Almia first, but I do agree that both are overlooked.

I think Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I mean a lot of people played it, cuz it's Mario, but a lot of people preferred Superstar Saga/the main series over it, whether it be nostalgia or just what they think, I don't know. But I liked the game.

Also Pokemon Platinum is probably the most hated main series Pokemon game. Besides gen 5 I guess
Okay, here i go:
1) Ok, never played origanal, no comment
2) Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa back it up here, aside from the occasional critic ive heard tons of people call partners in time the best in the series or second best (usually Bowsers inside story>partners in time=dream team>superstar saga), if anything superstar is thought to be the worst due to no double jump + worse bro moves.
3) platinum is better than diamond and pearl, and fans love those, so i think it's harsh to say "hated the most". If anything, ruby and saphire were heavily bashed on by fans for crappy pokemon sprites and overcomplicating the game with natures and abilitys. But yeah, black and white were the worst

Aside from that, i feel white 2 (pokemon) is most underrated due to being in the same generation, and being the not so sequel sequel of said bad games.

Eh I hear tons of love for gen 3. Not as much as gen 1 but look ok the "favorite Pokemon game" thread. Tons of people say RSE was best.

I haven't looked much into the Mario thing but most of the RPGs don't stand out as much as the regular platformers. Would Paper Mario count? Cuz that one seems popular ish

I would say the Call of Duty DS games. Or pretty much games ported on the DS like Need for Speed. While it's not entirely the same as the console counterparts, they are rather fun when you got use to it. I remember having fun playing CoD: MW Mobilized and just slaughtering everyone with the ÀK-74. Absolutely OP.

Mine would be Kirby Air Ride, it went under the radar and was seriously criticized when it was noticed, but I absolutely loved it's simple yet fun gameplay, the awesome music and most of all the incredibly EPIC City Trial.

Truly, it deserved more love ;-;

Mine would be Kirby Air Ride, it went under the radar and was seriously criticized when it was noticed, but I absolutely loved it's simple yet fun gameplay, the awesome music and most of all the incredibly EPIC City Trial.

Truly, it deserved more love ;-;
D'ya even see the madness in the "Kirby Air Ride, Yea or Nay" thread?
Sad thing is, that's probably one of the only threads on 3DSpedia that even mentions the game. ...:cry:

D'ya even see the madness in the "Kirby Air Ride, Yea or Nay" thread?
Sad thing is, that's probably one of the only threads on 3DSpedia that even mentions the game. ...:cry:
The one made by BlazingPhoenix right? Yeah, I was in that one xD he bashed the game pretty bad, called it "easy" then showed "proof" of it's supposed lack of challange by posting a video.... With all CPUs at level 1 /facepalm

YES another thread where I can talk about the underappreciatedness of Zero Escape :p
Both games are amazingly amazing, and saying that you don't like visual novels is no excuse because there also are a lot of escape-the-room parts. Money isn't an excuse either because I feel like 50% of the time Virtue's Last Reward is on sale in the eShop for €12,50 :greedy:

The World Ends With You is kinda underappreciated, but it has a small cult following and it's also a pretty old game now so it's no wonder that it's not that popular anymore .-. Please make a sequel someday Nintendo, I still have faith in you ;-;
5 years ago I could've also said Fire Emblem, but after Awakening it finally got the recognition it deserved :cat:

YES another thread where I can talk about the underappreciatedness of Zero Escape :p
Both games are amazingly amazing, and saying that you don't like visual novels is no excuse because there also are a lot of escape-the-room parts. Money isn't an excuse either because I feel like 50% of the time Virtue's Last Reward is on sale in the eShop for €12,50 :greedy:

The World Ends With You is kinda underappreciated, but it has a small cult following and it's also a pretty old game now so it's no wonder that it's not that popular anymore .-. Please make a sequel someday Nintendo, I still have faith in you ;-;
5 years ago I could've also said Fire Emblem, but after Awakening it finally got the recognition it deserved :cat:
Oh, TWEWY got and iOS/Android port, much more polished than the DS version, so there's no excuse not to play it :3 the gameplay is unique, as is the plot so...

Reactions: Moon Rain and MindzEye
I think that one of the most underrated Nintendo series is the Legendary Starfy. It was quite a big hit when it came to the Americas, so I don't see why Tose stopped making them as soon as they expanded their demographic. It was an excellent game, even if it was kind of short.

There's so many hidden gems that get overlooked in Nintendo's catalogue, like the Mario and Luigi series, and I've heard Chibi Robo is another cult classics as well.

For me, a general rule of thumb is that the more obscure a game is, the more niche it is. Often a cult classic.

Given how many games Nintendo have come out with over the years, I firmly believe there must be plenty out there with that level of niche appeal, only ever focusing on their mascot franchises instead because that's what sells.

Oh... personally, I loved Super Pokemon Rumble a lot, which seemed to get cast aside and forgotten as yet another Pokemon spin-off. I loved it. Really fun beat-'em-up, and the origami artstyle was really nice before Nintendo begun making a habit to turn half their spin-offs into some kind of artstyle based on crafting materials or styles.

Even then, the origami was really cool. And the gameplay was fun - simple, yet addictive. Wish they'd make a Switch sequel.

Back