Nintendo Switch's playtime limit is 9,999 hours per game

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Someone actually got over 9,999 hours in a single game recorded on their Nintendo Switch and reported the information. Now we know the limit the software counts per game is 9,999 hours. If you cross that limit, the Nintendo Switch will no longer record further playtime.

Can't believe someone got that much hours in a single game.

• Informative
Reactions: Alex.Dips, Starry Windy and Samster
I can't believe that the Switch doesn't support over 9,999 hours

How come? There must be a limit.

The number can't go on forever.
Aww... thought it could... oh well!

cant wait for them to add support for more hours in scientific notation lmao

What game was it?

What game was it?
According to the news, it was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Fair enough that it's one of the launch games for the Switch.

Nintendo has always had these weird limits on their numbered digital things. Only 300 icons allowed on the 3DS HOME Menu, only 1000 badges available to put on said Menu at a time, etc. I know they do it primarily for storage reasons, but gameplay hours? That's pretty bad. A number like that takes little to no data to record, that counter should be in the 10,000's by this generation.

Reactions: 28142
The main feature in update 10.0 will be the option to record more playtime, because from what I've seen they don't add anything in their software updates anymore...

Nintendo has always had these weird limits on their numbered digital things. Only 300 icons allowed on the 3DS HOME Menu, only 1000 badges available to put on said Menu at a time, etc. I know they do it primarily for storage reasons, but gameplay hours? That's pretty bad. A number like that takes little to no data to record, that counter should be in the 10,000's by this generation.

Yeah there's no reason why it'd be capped to such a low number like that. If they claim storage, then that's just stupid. If they claim that they never thought anyone would play a game for that long, then that's more stupid lol.

Reactions: Danominator
Yeah there's no reason why it'd be capped to such a low number like that. If they claim storage, then that's just stupid. If they claim that they never thought anyone would play a game for that long, then that's more stupid lol.

not many people are gonna get THAT many hours playing normally,if any at all anyway,

not many people are gonna get THAT many hours playing normally,if any at all anyway,

you would be very suprised

Reactions: AricAttack
I know I've went over 1000 hours in Pokémon but nothing else. Good to know but if the Switch has a long lifespan they should update it in the future to amend it.

I'm pretty surprised that Nintendo is limiting the Nintendo switch playtime recording to 10,000 hours per game. I honestly thought it was infinite. Though I find it hard to even get to 10,000 hours in one game. My splatoon 2 game is almost at 600 hours and ive had the game for almost 3 years. I know a person with 2,000 hours in splatoon 2 (He's a professional player) and I find that a lot. 10,000 hours is a lot of hours. O_O I can't imagine reaching 10,000 hours in a game. I probably have that much on splatoon 1 but idk. I'll have to look soon. Maybe 5,000 hours I have on there lol.

I saw this in an article this past week. I’m convinced that the person left their Switch on non-stop, never putting g in sleep mode or leaving the game. That’s over 400 days, so how else would they have gotten to that high of a mark? It’s apparent that they were testing to see the maximum hours, not actually playing. Breath of the Wild is big, but not that big.

9999 seems like a good maximum though. It isn’t really feasible that you could legitimately play something for that long.

A streamer would get that easily if he is determined to stream the same game all the time cause even my friend got over 1100 hours of playtime in 1.5 years even though he only plays on weekends so it is very much possible if theey play all 7 days

Someone actually got over 9,999 hours in a single game recorded on their Nintendo Switch and reported the information. Now we know the limit the software counts per game is 9,999 hours. If you cross that limit, the Nintendo Switch will no longer record further playtime.

Can't believe someone got that much hours in a single game.
I hope they change this on Version 10.2.0 of the firmware. smh, can't believe that NINTENDO would be reporting false info :mad: :mad: :mad: . Just kidding, I totally understand, but I hope the extend it soon, cuz quarantine isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and people are playing video games now more than ever!

I found out that screenshots have a similar numerical limit. 10,000 is as many as you can capture regardless of free space.

Note: that is only for screenshots and not screenshots + videos total.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artisan
Back