Possible Controller Designs?

• Thread starter Slayerpon Tatsu
  • Start date
Slayerpon Tatsu

Slayerpon Tatsu

The Nopon King of EXP and Hater of Ignorance
Banned User
So we are all talking about the console, it's hardware, and design right? But I think we are missing something important: what type of controller will support it? And what will be some problems for it. For me personally, I think of course, Wii remotes, pro controllers, and possibly classic controllers will be compatible. The only problem I see, is if they'll make an "NX" line of controllers, where the NX pro controller is totally different from the Wii u pro controller or a different controller entirely, like the gamepad. Problems I see with a new controller however is the size, since many didn't like the gamepad at first and was difficult to get used to. My second problem, is the button layout. This may not seem like a lot, but relearning a new button layout really annoys me, especially when they use the same buttons just in a different format. Finally, shoulder buttons and durability of the controller. Will the shoulder buttons be sticking out and easy to break? Or hidden and sturdy?

There just might be multiple types of controllers for this console, kinda like a gamepad/pro controller thing, but hopefully better thought through. Controller durability towers over looks, imo; Gamepad is pretty durable, yet there's not even a comparison when a GC controller is put into the equation lol. L and R buttons on the GC controller were top tier! :p My hope is that Nintendo can make a 'universal controller', so to speak: Easy to pick up and feels great for at least 70% of people that use it. I also seriously hope that the 'uniqueness' of the NX won't kill this aspect of the console. xP

There just might be multiple types of controllers for this console, kinda like a gamepad/pro controller thing, but hopefully better thought through. Controller durability towers over looks, imo; Gamepad is pretty durable, yet there's not even a comparison when a GC controller is put into the equation lol. L and R buttons on the GC controller were top tier! :p My hope is that Nintendo can make a 'universal controller', so to speak: Easy to pick up and feels great for at least 70% of people that use it. I also seriously hope that the 'uniqueness' of the NX won't kill this aspect of the console. xP
A universal controller would be nice. Also would be nice if we could use GameCube adapter or the pokken exclusive controller (if the console is backwards compatible). I just hope shoulder buttons aren't too stiff. I like my lose and squeaky buttons :p

I never actually thought about what they might do for the controller. As far as ports are concerned, there's probably gonna be a Wii Remote, Pro Controller, and maybe a GC port. As far what new controller they may introduce, I think it may follow the traditional ABXY on the Right, D-Pad on the left, Home Start and Select (or + and -) in the middle, with shoulder buttons.

I have no real hopes for what the controller will be like, but if it follows the traditional format then it shouldn't be a problem getting used to.

Reactions: Slayerpon Tatsu
I never actually thought about what they might do for the controller. As far as ports are concerned, there's probably gonna be a Wii Remote, Pro Controller, and maybe a GC port. As far what new controller they may introduce, I think it may follow the traditional ABXY on the Right, D-Pad on the left, Home Start and Select (or + and -) in the middle, with shoulder buttons.

I have no real hopes for what the controller will be like, but if it follows the traditional format then it shouldn't be a problem getting used to.
I dunno. Innovative might me the Dpad is on the right side the buttons are on the left and the joy sticks are wherever. Maybe the Z button will return

I dunno. Innovative might me the Dpad is on the right side the buttons are on the left and the joy sticks are wherever. Maybe the Z button will return
If that happens the we call upon the return of GC games as VC for the NX

A universal controller would be nice. Also would be nice if we could use GameCube adapter or the pokken exclusive controller (if the console is backwards compatible). I just hope shoulder buttons aren't too stiff. I like my lose and squeaky buttons :p
Didn't even know there was a pokken exclusive controller :panda:

I'm fairly sure there will be plenty of controller options for the NX, just have to find the one that suits you the most. I've slowly gotten used to stiff shoulder buttons tbh, but I wouldn't mind and loose-hinged shoulders on the NeXt controller. :jimlad:

If that happens the we call upon the return of GC games as VC for the NX
They'll most likely have the hardware and software for it so let's hope we do have those games on VC. Inb4 twilight princess on virtual console for NX

Didn't even know there was a pokken exclusive controller :panda:

I'm fairly sure there will be plenty of controller options for the NX, just have to find the one that suits you the most. I've slowly gotten used to stiff shoulder button tbh, but I wouldn't mind and loose-hinged shoulders on the NeXt controller. :jimlad:
Sadly the Pokken controller will only be useable for player 2, so it kind of sucks ;-;. But maybe we'll have controller customization too

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like if the NX had a controller that's like the SNES. I played Mega Man X on an actual SNES at a video game convention and it feels smooth. The controller feels nice, the button layout was perfect for my muscle movements, and it felt light. So, Nintendo, for your new controller, make it feel like a SNES controller. The SNES has the best games, so I hope the NX will be as good as the SNES and its controller.

I'd like if the NX had a controller that's like the SNES. I played Mega Man X on an actual SNES at a video game convention and it feels smooth. The controller feels nice, the button layout was perfect for my muscle movements, and it felt light. So, Nintendo, for your new controller, make it feel like a SNES controller. The SNES has the best games, so I hope the NX will be as good as the SNES and its controller.
I love the SNES controller layout. But if Nintendo intends on having more buttons and a different layout then I guess that won't be happening anytime soon =p
But as long as it feels comfortable in my hands I have no complaints.

I love the SNES controller layout. But if Nintendo intends on having more buttons and a different layout then I guess that won't be happening anytime soon =p
But as long as it feels comfortable in my hands I have no complaints.
I agree, I enjoy the SNES controller however, many prefer using a control stick over a d-pad now. As well as having four shoulder buttons. I doubt Nintendo couldn't handle adjusting it but it would be pretty awkward at that point

I feel there will be a LOT of backward compatibility for the NX. They'll probably keep the Wii Remotes and the Wii U Pro Controller. They may even keep the Wii U Gamepad. I would also really enjoy it if some games had the ability to use a 3DS as a controller like in Super Smash Bros for Wii U. But if they're going to have a new controller, I'd like it to have a screen like the Wii U mostly because my TV I use to play is overall crappy. I'm thinking a bit like a mini Gamepad, about the size of the N3DS XL that way if it is a hybrid console, it will be fairly portable.

I feel there will be a LOT of backward compatibility for the NX. They'll probably keep the Wii Remotes and the Wii U Pro Controller. They may even keep the Wii U Gamepad. I would also really enjoy it if some games had the ability to use a 3DS as a controller like in Super Smash Bros for Wii U. But if they're going to have a new controller, I'd like it to have a screen like the Wii U mostly because my TV I use to play is overall crappy. I'm thinking a bit like a mini Gamepad, about the size of the N3DS XL that way if it is a hybrid console, it will be fairly portable.
Problem is, the gamepad is a bit too big if we are being honest. They'll probably down size it as that was one of the many complaints they got. I wonder if the new controller will act like a tv remote as well. And we can hope that they'll allow Wii controllers, but they already said its not going to be another Wii, so I don't know what they plan to do. Maybe some new controller entirely

Basically, what I want from the NX, if it's a console, is that it's either like a SNES controller or a GameCube controller, to be a bit more modern. Why GameCube because the button layout feels just as nice as the SNES controller with a bit more buttons. And it feels firm and you can really grip it.

Now this is another question that I have just thought of: Motion controls and Wii balance board usable? New "Wii fit" game or nah

Now this is another question that I have just thought of: Motion controls and Wii balance board usable? New "Wii fit" game or nah
Nah. Only for Wii Fit.

Nah. Only for Wii Fit.
Are you saying no to the idea of a new Wii fit game or no to the Wii fit board ever being used again? Because the board isn't only used for Wii fit

Are you saying no to the idea of a new Wii fit game or no to the Wii fit board ever being used again? Because the board isn't only used for Wii fit
I meant board.

I meant board.
Well the board has been used in Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games. However, it is mostly for Wii fit so I see your point. But the idea of motion controls still exist

Oh, OK. I really don't mind. I don't reLly care if the motion board returns, anyway. I never really used mine.

Back