Problems only old-school gamers would understand

• Thread starter Lovebeat
  • Start date
Lovebeat

Lovebeat

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I was going through this article and thought this would make a great discussion.
What were some of the gaming problems that you have experienced or only could be experienced by gamers in the 80's or 90's?

Having to blow on the N64/NES/SNES Cartridges almost every other play through just to get the game to work again was always irritating, yet somehow I miss those simple times lol.

Reactions: Knight and Kaynil
Having to blow on the N64/NES/SNES Cartridges almost every other play through just to get the game to work again was always irritating, yet somehow I miss those simple times lol.

Oh ya I remember having to do that! I can't believe that it's been awhile now. Another problem was having your NES/SNES games get stuck in the console lol.

Interesting find/read. =3

oh, how I miss those days. You could fix it with ease. It was annoying but fun to do. xD

Yeah, blowing into the cartridge would be my first answer.

Another thing would be having to start a game over from the very beginning if you ran out of lives. You don't really see that in games now days.

Reactions: Kaynil, Mikaya, (deleted member) and 1 other person
I remember having to check magazines at the newsagent or library to find out anything I needed to know for a game.

Reactions: 3 people
My thing is like everyone elses. Blowing on the cartridge when the game refused to work, and having it get stuck in the machine.

Blowing on the cartridge was one, though it's been revealed that it was bad for the prongs on the cartridge to do this.

Another is going to friends or magazines to get tips and help

Another is that sometimes the screen would be all messed up or the game would freeze easily.

Blowing on the cartridge was one, though it's been revealed that it was bad for the prongs on the cartridge to do this.

Another is going to friends or magazines to get tips and help

Another is that sometimes the screen would be all messed up or the game would freeze easily.

How was it bad for the prongs on the cartridge? What problems came up with that? I don't think I've ever had a game get wrecked because of something like that?

When I had to use toothpaste, hoping that it will fix my CD.

Sometimes when my gameboy cartridge froze or was bumped the game froze so I would have to go back to the last save. One time I caught a legendary and it happened XD

Sometimes when my gameboy cartridge froze or was bumped the game froze so I would have to go back to the last save. One time I caught a legendary and it happened XD
That happened to me on my gba with alpha sapphire! I also hated the n64 and its glitches...

That happened to me on my gba with alpha sapphire! I also hated the n64 and its glitches...
You mean regular sapphire :b

No way of finding out where to go next in a game unless you had friends who happened to have the same consoles and games as you, and a very specific one- the smell that Megadrive and SNES power adapters used to emit that revealed to your parents that you'd been gaming and not lying in bed sick as they thought you had (and the adapter being warm).

On the other hand- never getting stuck in a lobby with a gang of racist shouting children, happily knowing people with the rival console so you could go to each others houses for a fix of the exclusives, games having to impress you with gameplay rather than frame rates and a sense of comeradery rather than competition amongst video games fans.

Also the term "computer games"

Reactions: 532
The Sega Mega-drive couldn't save games, if I remember correctly, so me and my sister played Sonic and World of Illusions from scratch a lot.. But I didn't mind that much.

Well, if I couldn't save on my PC, I would be very infuriated..

You mean regular sapphire :b
oh yeah, xD i have my mind on the alpha sapphire cause of it coming out lol

The Sega Mega-drive couldn't save games, if I remember correctly, so me and my sister played Sonic and World of Illusions from scratch a lot.. But I didn't mind that much.

Well, if I couldn't save on my PC, I would be very infuriated..
That wouldve been a pain if i used the sega mega drive!

Last edited by a moderator:
When your Gameboy cart ran out of Volatile memory battery :D
Blowing on the cartridge is the most common solution to non-working games :)

I remember when I was a kid and I had my NES, I needed to pull really hard the cartridge to get them out of the console. Sometimes, I even had to put my feet at each side of the console while pulling because it was stuck. These consoles were pretty tough, playing a video game was a sport...

Reactions: 532
A lot of blowing and slapping! I remember unpacking the cartridge case, pulling the circuit out, wash it, put it back into the case, then play it like normal. Thinking back, I don't know how this works without damaging it, but believe me, I didn't do it only once.

Whenever the batteries need to be switched but you're in the middle of something and cant save so you pray that you'll beat it before it runs out. This one may just be me but when the buttons fall off and you have to use a paperclip until you get it fixed.

Back