• Thread starter Darrix
  • Start date

Do you have a smart watch?

• Total voters
Darrix

Darrix

Asians R Us
Towns Folk
Anyone have a smart watch? If so what is it?

From what I heard, it's more like a status symbol that means you had the money to go and buy an expensive watch that basically does what the iPod/iPhone you own already does. Honestly, I'd rather get a $10 sportswatch and enjoy my Android phone than spend $200-$500 on a watch that does what a smartphone can.

Reactions: 3823 and Hayleia
Well, I still understand the benefit of smartwatches better than that of tablets. At least you can check things on your watch without taking your phone out of your pocket. Not exactly the biggest revolution ever and probably doesn't justify the price but tablets were a regression (I see them as smartphones that can't phone and can't fit in your pocket either or as computers without keyboards that can't run computer games) so not better.

And no, I actually don't have a smartwatch, but for reasons even more stupid. It's just that I hate wearing wristwatches (I have several pocket watches but no wristwatch), they are heavy and annoying on your arm, I don't know. And since smartwatches are a subclass of wristwatch, I'd hate wearing one too :p

Well, I still understand the benefit of smartwatches better than that of tablets. At least you can check things on your watch without taking your phone out of your pocket. Not exactly the biggest revolution ever and probably doesn't justify the price but tablets were a regression (I see them as smartphones that can't phone and can't fit in your pocket either or as computers without keyboards that can't run computer games) so not better.

And no, I actually don't have a smartwatch, but for reasons even more stupid. It's just that I hate wearing wristwatches (I have several pocket watches but no wristwatch), they are heavy and annoying on your arm, I don't know. And since smartwatches are a subclass of wristwatch, I'd hate wearing one too :p
Wristwatches are cool. Sportwatches are cool. Got me one but the straps broke off.

Wristwatches are cool. Sportwatches are cool. Got me one but the straps broke off.
Yeah, I understand that they are convenient and stuff. But I really don't like to feel them on my wrist. I'd get one if it didn't annoy me that much because it's really faster to just look at your wrist than to look for a pocket watch in your pockets... But no, they annoy me :(

Yeah, I understand that they are convenient and stuff. But I really don't like to feel them on my wrist. I'd get one if it didn't annoy me that much because it's really faster to just look at your wrist than to look for a pocket watch in your pockets... But no, they annoy me :(
You know, one thing that does get me about wristwatches is that when I leave them on my wrist for a while, they indent. And it may be TMI but if my wrist is wet from sweating or washing my hands, when I take it off after a while, it leave this weird smell on my wrist. Overall, I do find wristwatches convenient and prefer it more than constantly taking out my 3DS or watch to check the time. But you know, that's you.

I honestly find the concept really lazy, I mean, let's say you're outside and receive a text, how hard could it possibly be to pull your phone out of your pocket? I mean, in a generally standing position, your hands will already be by your waist. I agree with the fact that it's just a status symbol and something to brag about, even though it serves no real function. I'd honestly prefer to get one of those fitness bands that measure your heart rate, pulse and act as a pedometer, but for 500 USD, I'd rather get a proper formal watch to wear to events.

You know, one thing that does get me about wristwatches is that when I leave them on my wrist for a while, they indent. And it may be TMI but if my wrist is wet from sweating or washing my hands, when I take it off after a while, it leave this weird smell on my wrist. Overall, I do find wristwatches convenient and prefer it more than constantly taking out my 3DS or watch to check the time. But you know, that's you.
It' even worse than "it's me", it's "it's me now", because I used to wear wristwatches :p
I have no clue since when I don't like them anymore.

I honestly find the concept really lazy, I mean, let's say you're outside and receive a text, how hard could it possibly be to pull your phone out of your pocket?
Well, you obviously don't own a Galaxy Note, because I have one (Note 3) and even though it does fit in pockets, it's still annoying to put in and out :p
More seriously, I'd say that it's a bit more than just allowing you to check messages without getting your phone out of your pocket. Let's say you're talking with someone in real life, then you receive a text message. If you read your text now, you're impolite (and I know a lot of people doing this). If you don't, you'll forget about it and never read it... Except if you have a smartwatch because next time you'll check it (when wondering what time it is for example), you'll be reminded of that text.

But yeah, it still doesn't justify the price in my opinion :p
It would probably be great to have dumbwatch instead, just giving the time like a normal watch and relaying your phone's notifications with one or two LEDs. It would have a battery that lasts more than one day too :p

Let's say you're talking with someone in real life, then you receive a text message. If you read your text now, you're impolite (and I know a lot of people doing this). If you don't, you'll forget about it and never read it... Except if you have a smartwatch because next time you'll check it (when wondering what time it is for example), you'll be reminded of that text.
I honestly don't get that. The last phone I owned was a Android HTQ Haiwei. Now of course, I can set how to receive notifications (vibration, ringer, or silent). However, the shortcut menu would always display a notification signifying that I've received a message. And how would the scenario be different with a smartwatch? You're still checking your message while someone is talking to you. Like said, the iWatch just does what a iPhone/iPod Touch can do with the convenience of being on your wrist.

I honestly don't get that. The last phone I owned was a Android HTQ Haiwei. Now of course, I can set how to receive notifications (vibration, ringer, or silent). However, the shortcut menu would always display a notification signifying that I've received a message. And how would the scenario be different with a smartwatch? You're still checking your message while someone is talking to you. Like said, the iWatch just does what a iPhone/iPod Touch can do with the convenience of being on your wrist.
No, you didn't get what I mean. You're talking to that person so even if your phone vibrates and your watch blinks, you don't check it, because you're polite and don't want to interrupt the person taking to you. But then, when you're finished talking, you forgot about that text message, and that notification on the shortcut menu is on your phone in your pocket, so you don't see it. However, your watch is on your wrist so you see the notification here and get reminded of that text.

But don't worry, I don't like smartwatches (not only because wristwatches, also because useless) :p
I just try to give some pro arguments, otherwise everyone (or at least those with arguments) will be against :p

So you're saying the person with the phone won't check it after the conversation and see the notification but the one with the smartwatch will? And I'm not trying to persuade anyone from getting an iWatch. It's just my two cents.

Yes, that's basically what I'm saying. You won't see an "old" notification on your phone but you'll see one on your watch, simply because your watch isn't hidden in your pocket.

Yes, that's basically what I'm saying. You won't see an "old" notification on your phone but you'll see one on your watch, simply because your watch isn't hidden in your pocket.
With the phone I had, notifications stay in the shortcut bar until you clicked it or went to the application associated with it. That means the notification for a new message stays there until you either clicked it and/or went to the Messages app. And your scenario has a huge plothole. You're saying the smartwatch person will check his watch for whatever reason but the smartphone person won't. Plus, we haven't specified which type of smartphone. Is it a iPhone, a Galaxy? Like I said, my Android HTQ Haiwei always displays the notification for whichever application. The only way you won't get notified is if you disable push notifications.

Lol, seems like you got what I was saying but still argue about other things :p
Because basically the only thing I say is that indeed, you check your watch more often/easily than your phone so even if your notifications are on your phone, you don't see them (it's in your pocket), but you see them on your watch.

Then yes, smartwatches are indeed (even more) useless when you can see your phone (if it's on your desk for example) since most smartphones have notifications on the screen, but I was only talking about scenarios where you don't see your phone (like when it's in your pocket on the bus, and your watch is on your wrist, on your thigh, in your field of vue).

Lol, seems like you got what I was saying but still argue about other things :p
Because basically the only thing I say is that indeed, you check your watch more often/easily than your phone so even if your notifications are on your phone, you don't see them (it's in your pocket), but you see them on your watch.

Then yes, smartwatches are indeed (even more) useless when you can see your phone (if it's on your desk for example) since most smartphones have notifications on the screen, but I was only talking about scenarios where you don't see your phone (like when it's in your pocket on the bus, and your watch is on your wrist, on your thigh, in your field of vue).
There are still many reasons for taking out your phone. You may get notifications for other games and applications, check your battery life (which may not be viewable in the notification bar but can be by using battery life widget apps), and of course playing games in your free time, in which case you can be notified about something, that is if one is smart enough to have the sound for notifications on vibrate.

There are still many reasons for taking out your phone. You may get notifications for other games and applications, check your battery life (which may not be viewable in the notification bar but can be by using battery life widget apps), and of course playing games in your free time, in which case you can be notified about something, that is if one is smart enough to have the sound for notifications on vibrate.
Yeah, there are some reasons to check notifications.

But, either you have a lot of them (because a lot of games, friends, etc) and maybe you don't want to check them all (sometimes you're not in a playing mood so you don't care about that new event in Sonic Runners, but you still don't want to miss text messages) so it would be annoying to get your phone out every single time and only see something useful 10% of the time. But on your watch, you still only see something useful 10% of the time, but at least it's not annoying to check :p

Or you don't have a lot of them, and in that case, if you didn't check your text message right after getting the vibration (because you were talking to someone for example), you won't see it before a long time because you don't get another notification making you check your phone (which, once again, is in your pocket, so don't tell me about the notification still on the screen :p). But with your watch, you'd see that notification when getting out of the bus, because you always time how much it took you to get to school, and you see your notification...

Yeah, there are some reasons to check notifications.

But, either you have a lot of them (because a lot of games, friends, etc) and maybe you don't want to check them all (sometimes you're not in a playing mood so you don't care about that new event in Sonic Runners, but you still don't want to miss text messages) so it would be annoying to get your phone out every single time and only see something useful 10% of the time. But on your watch, you still only see something useful 10% of the time, but at least it's not annoying to check :p

Or you don't have a lot of them, and in that case, if you didn't check your text message right after getting the vibration (because you were talking to someone for example), you won't see it before a long time because you don't get another notification making you check your phone (which, once again, is in your pocket, so don't tell me about the notification still on the screen :p). But with your watch, you'd see that notification when getting out of the bus, because you always time how much it took you to get to school, and you see your notification...
You know what? I have no idea what you're talking about with this "The notifications don't stay on the screen" non-sense. My phone doesn't do that. I'm going ahead and ignoring this thread.

You know what? I have no idea what you're talking about with this "The notifications don't stay on the screen" non-sense. My phone doesn't do that. I'm going ahead and ignoring this thread.
Ok, so you actually don't know what I'm saying, that's why you've been answering to something I never said since like 5 posts :p
They DO stay on screen, but your phone is IN YOUR POCKET, so YOU DON'T SEE YOUR SCREEN, so YOU DON'T SEE THE NOTIFICATION that is STILL ON YOUR SCREEN.

I don't have one, probably not going to buy one cause checking my phone is the better option Imo. Having two devices with notifications is just weird to me. :c

I got a lg g watch r for my bday a few months ago. It is basically used as an extention of the apps and notifications on your phone (reading emails, changing music, fitness stuff, replying to texts if you want to look really odd talking to your wrist). After owning it for a while I have found it to be incredibly convenient in the manner that Hayleia wrote about. I liked this particular model of watch because it looked most like a regular watch out of the smartwatches available at the time. I have not seen an elegant looking smartwatch to date so wearing them as some sort of bragging attempt just looks foolish anyway as has been pointed out above. On the downside my watch has had a few regular bugs that may be caused by me filling up my phones memory, my watches memory or just some software/hardware issue that will have to get fixed later. It will randomly restart itself once every few days during use, it may randomly disconnect from my phone and it sometimes just freezes up gor a minute or two when i try to use it. It occasionally refuses to connect to my phone as well, this is a real issue as it must do that in order to update to the correct time. Also most apps available to it right now are quite gimmicky and it's a real struggle to find something worth dloading (with the exception of a fallout themed watch face :D). All in all I recomend you wait for a few better models to come out, maybe have a look once the models that have their own sim etc become available.

Back