Step-by-step of a sig

• Thread starter 2205
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Still annoyed...
Towns Folk
Hi there!

So I've been asked to do a step-by-step of a signature I made. I used @Evelyn 's request for the tutorial, I hope you don't mind! I use Photoshop CS4 by the way!

evelyn_by_erynn12-d93qt8j.png

She provided me with this sweet render:

render_anime_13_by_karenpa-d5as2va.png

So we will start with this.

Create a new document in Photoshop. I like to work on something at least twice as big as the end result should be. This way I can work with more quality.

So for this request, something 1000x400 will do.

I already have presets for Signatures and Avatars on Pedia ^^

xb01lx.jpg

Open your render and remove any unwanted part, in this case the big watermark in the top left.

30clqqg.jpg

Once it is done, lets move the render to the Signature document you're working on. An easy way: CTRL+A, CTRL+C, click on your document, CTRL+V.

140f58j.jpg

Well, it's too big. We want to adjust the render without actually changing its aspect ratio, right? We don't want it to become deformed... so lets go with CTRL+T (Free transform tool).

You will want to click on the little chain, on the top of your tools, if you hover on the chain, you'll see it's to maintain Aspect Ratio. Once it is done, you can click on W or Y while moving your mouse from left to right to adjust the size of the picture, while it will still keep its ratio.

5mk078.jpg

Once you're satisfied with the size of the render, press enter, it will apply your modifications. Trying to select another tool will also prompt you to confirm if you want to apply the modifications or not.

213orkg.jpg

Now we will work a bit on the background. I assume that you already know how layers work. So I like the leaves on the floor... so I found a nice render on maple leaves, I put it behind the render and I adjust it just like I did with the initial render.

2nvgvvr.jpg

It doesn't really match the rest of the picture. CTRL + U will bring up the Hue and Saturation tool. There, you can change various settings in the colours of your selected layers. Usually, just using the Master one is enough, but if you open it, you can change the hues on selected colours (yellow, red, magenta, etc)...

2mzbfyg.jpg

It still feels a bit empty. Adding a new layer behind everything and putting some renders will help fill the space and make it more "full".

I added two brushes of 2 different colours. The colours have been picked in the leaves on the render to match the picture (just press i to have the colour picker). You can see the layers there, just ignore the gradient it's for later.

2ijngwj.jpg

Well it STILL feels barren, so there comes the gradient. Do a gradient from colours picked on your render again. Apply the gradient behind everything.

155kpld.jpg

Oh my gosh what is that? Ok, so we will apply a mask on that gradient. It's there, bottom right. Select your layer then click on that. You can then click on the mask to work on it. What is black doesn't show, what is white shows. So on the picture, it is all black, so we can't see the gradient anymore. The layer just above show a mask I worked on.

2wh2weu.jpg

So now use a soft brush to make some parts of the gradient appear. This is how it looks with the mask you saw above:

xoqqo4.jpg

Once you're done with your mask and you're happy with the result, don't forget to apply it, otherwise you'll end up with a fine line all around your sig in the end.

357lgxx.jpg

So I'm skipping all the text part, I might do another tutorial if you're interested.

Now it's time to reduce the picture and save it.

Click on Image, Image Size (or ALT+CTRL+i).

2w66zxw.jpg

This window should open. It's important to have Constrain Proportions ticked, otherwise you'll have to change both sizes for it to keep its aspect ratio. While having it ticked, chaging one of the sizes changes both. I reduce it to the max size available on Pedia, which is half the size I was working on.

bsax.jpg

Now I hide the White background (I always have a white background to see how it looks like on white). I always provide the sig on a transparent background, this way if the user brings it on another forum or if Pedia changes colour one day, it will still fit.

Now you can save your picture as a PNG to keep the transparency and Voilà!

evelyn_by_erynn12-d93qt8j.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Kream, MindzEye, Mikaya and 8 others
Yay! :giggle:
Thank you! ^-^

So that's how you do it, :eek:

Cool ^-^
Ima try it later!

Yup, that's how, it's super easy ^^

Looks like a Photoshop tutorial I'd see from my Business Tech class I took but of course a little better because I used CS3 or something like that.

rawrriewindy.png
Sunnyyyyyy, I made this ^-^ Do you like it? :p
I put rawrriewindy, cause just rawrrie looked bland and I made this by following your tutorial :3
and so that no one accuses me of stealing >.<)/

Reactions: 423, Frisk, Mikaya and 3 others
View attachment 7555
Sunnyyyyyy, I made this ^-^ Do you like it? :p
I put rawrriewindy, cause just rawrrie looked bland and I made this by following your tutorial :3
and so that no one accuses me of stealing >.<)/
That looks amazing :eek:

Reactions: Mikaya and 3823
It's really nice, I think you got it :giggle: told you it was easy!

I made this!

Attachments

• Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    369.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 423, Frisk, Mikaya and 1 other person
Hey it's nice, I'm happy my tutorial helped you!

Nice tutorial! My photoshop skills are rusty at least (though they never were great) so this is really helpful! (I usually use different programs)

Thank you! :D

Could you do one for gimp? Dad can't get PS on my PC because it will slow it down :p

Reactions: Mikaya
Gimp is quite different from Photoshop and I never really got around to learn it properly =/

Reese Sig copy.png
I made this using your tutorial, it's not the best, but i'm proud of it!

Reactions: Tyrone, 2205 and Mikaya
Gimp is quite different from Photoshop and I never really got around to learn it properly =/

It really isn't all that different. Especially when it comes to something like signature making. As far as all the tools they primary do the same thing and have the same icons to find them. And then all of the settings for each tool are pretty direct; more so for gimp than PS even. And then as far as all of the other things like tools you would have to go under the "Image" tab for in Photoshop, you can look in the "Select" tab for gimp; and everything else that you would use for a signature is usually under the Color or Filter tabs, almost exactly like PS.

Anyway, nice tutorial. I haven't created this style of tags in a very long time so it's cool to see other people still doing it. Do you happen to have a deviantArt?

After a few tries I managed to make a Sunny-style-sig :p

fEBszGn.png

Still looks a bit weird tho ;-;

Reactions: 2205 and Mikaya
Do signatures have to be a certain size? I saw that stated somewhere but have forgotten if that was a thing or not.

Do signatures have to be a certain size? I saw that stated somewhere but have forgotten if that was a thing or not.
500x200 Otherwise they'll get resized when you use them. ;)

Reactions: Mikaya and RaeSyndrome
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back