Contest Story-Writing Contest!

• Thread starter 18
  • Start date
Sending you something now. I hope you enjoy it.

Hello, 3DS Pedia users. I want to play a game... :eek:
Hey, come back! I'm not Jigsaw! Believe me, we're not in a Saw movie :hilarious:

We've a lot of contests that depend on luck, but in this contest, victory is based entirely on your ability. Your story-telling ability :bookworm:

mario_vs_wario_by_doctorwalui.png

Based on the idea given below, participants will have to write a story.

Not the best of story ideas, but make what you can of it :p because the winners shall receive extravagant prizes :greedy:

Prizes:

1st Prize:
100 Play Coins
2nd Prize: 75 Play Coins
3rd Prize: 50 Play Coins

However, there are rules :eek:

Rules:

1. All participants must submit their story by July 10, 2014 00:00 Hours GMT+5 as a private message to me.
  2. Stories must be original, previously unpublished and at least 300 words. You can use an online word-counter like WordCountTool to help you with the last bit.
  3. Any story containing swearing, adult content and other objectionable stuff will not be considered. If you're writing a scary story (yes, you can :eek: ) with a scary murder scene or something, please put a warning at the start (e.g, "This story contains scenes of explicit violence and gore." :rotfl: )
  4. Two users can partner up to co-write a story, but in this case the prize will be split between them if their story is among the winners.
  5. Try not to make mistakes in the departments of grammar, punctuation and spelling. You can have a friend (even a fellow 3DS Pedia user) proof-read your work since writing does tend to make one 'typo blind' for a while.
  6. The winning stories will be announced and prizes will be given out on July 15, 2014.
  7. Once the contest is over, users are free to publish their stories in the Town Square section of the forum.
  8. The stories will be judged by the unbiased me :p In case a staff member (@Marc, @Erixsan, @Mikaya, @Nanamine) is willing to co-judge, they can do so and a rating system for the stories will be developed but in this case, they will not be able to participate in the contest.
  9. Only members with at least 10 quality posts who post regularly in the discussion forums can participate in the contest.

Good luck to everyone who participates :thumbsup:

*not a real game :p

---------

Notice: The contest will now end on July 20, 2014 and prizes will be given out and winners announced on July 25, 2014.

Hey, I was just wondering where we submit the story to? Thanks!

Hey, I was just wondering where we submit the story to? Thanks!
Via PM.
Step 1: Click on his name or go to his Profile.
Step 2: Click "Start a Conversation"

Reactions: 18 and Marc
The end date has again been extended, to July 31, 2014. Yeesh. :panda:

Spinner btw, is the story I PMed you valid because of the harsh language?

Spinner btw, is the story I PMed you valid because of the harsh language?
O.

Well, first of all:

• No, sorry - the entries must have no swearing at all.
  • Secondly, the story has to be based on this idea:
After years and years of development, Nintendo are ready to release WarioWare, Inc. Mortis Megagames*, a game so highly anticipated that once released it will destroy Mario's popularity while launching Wario's into the stratosphere. Wario fully intends to make life miserable for Mario and his friends once the game has been released and he's filthy rich. How do Mario and his friends go about stopping him?

So Pokestories aren't in.

I'm sorry and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I did enjoy that story, but it won't fit in this contest.

Your dead to me :p :p :p

Reactions: Artisan and Marc
Just submitted an entry. Hope I win something!

Reactions: 18
Time to announce the winners! :D

First Place: @TAG

Mario stepped into his time machine. He hadn’t used it since the mid 90’s (and things hadn’t exactly gone smooth then) but he was desperate. Despite the years though, the machine responded favorably. He set the time – 1994.

The Phillips factory was surprisingly easy to infiltrate. Mario had brought plenty of Vanish Caps with him, making it easy to sneak past security and through locked doors. He paused temporarily to stare at a picture of Link with pity. Bomb some Dodongos indeed he thought. But he wasn’t here to alter the unholy triforce. He had other tasks in mind.

The programmer stared at the memo curiously. It seemed an unusual request, but then again Phillips was known to pull things like this from time to time. It would mean altering the cut scenes, and character sprites, but he was confident his team could get it done in a timely enough fashion.

As Mario returned to the present, Luigi was waiting there with a big grin. In his hands he held what Mario had hoped, a CD-I game. Mario starred at the cover … Hotel Wario. His alterations in the past had worked – he had changed the future! A quick look on Wikipedia confirmed what he suspected – the game had bombed. Unlike Mario however (who had gone on to survive and thrive) Wario had not been so fortunate. Without a long history of games on his side, he had faded into obscurity. There would be no Wario game to knock Mario and Luigi from their top rung!

Satoru Iwata prepared for the Nintendo Direct. In the recess of his mind he thought he had some vague memory of a Wario killer app. It must have been a dream he reflected, looking down at his notes. Urban Champion 2: Wario’s Revenge. He hoped it would move some Wii U’s.

In less than 350 words, TAG created a great and hilarious story that is best enjoyed with a little knowledge of the disastrous Philips CD-i. :thumbsup:

Second Place: @sodajet

Wario and his associates were preparing a diabolical plan to bring the Mushroom Kingdom down to its knees. In the small cell with Wario merchandise scattered about the walls, a short man spoke. “Our days of cowering are over. From the shadow of that wretched plumber we will take over the world. The Mushroom Kingdom will burn and its place will rise the black fortress of Wario! I will rule with an iron hand, and all who stand in my way will be crushed. Don’t be fooled though. It will take an army to destroy Mario. Gather the Koopalings! Summon Bowser immediately. Send word to the Fourth. Wario is going to be number one again!”

Back in the Mushroom Kingdom, an air of happiness floated in the air. Laughter became the wind and tears of joy became the sound of soothing raindrops. An eternal blessing had been placed on the kingdom and all who lived within its borders experienced no sorrow. The castle at the center of the kingdom was unusually lively today. Servants bustled through the halls and kids danced in the courtyard. Princess Peach had just baked a cake. Princess Peach’s cake was renowned throughout the entire kingdom for being a heavenly sweet. To show her gratefulness to her loved ones, she baked cakes for them to eat. As she rang the bell for cake time, a worried look flashed across her face.

“Where are Mario and Luigi? They promised they would come!” Her eyes looked out the kitchen window and into the green hills and low floating clouds. “Oh, Mario!” she gasped.

Meanwhile, out near the borders of the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario and Luigi were coming back from the city. “What a day. The sun is shining yellow, the grass is a perfect shade of evergreen, and we are now going to meet our rosy Princess Peach.” Luigi giggled. Mario stared at him and then continued, “I for one am starving. In fact, I’d even eat whatever Bowser feeds his minions.” Luigi shuddered. “You are one sick person. I for one wouldn’t for the life of me touch anything that comes from his wicked castle.” Mario retorted, “Well you sure do like stomping on his shells.” Luigi fired back, “Well Mario, last I checked, I wasn’t the one who got my pants burned off by a turtle.” Mario stopped in his tracks. “Look Luigi, I don’t want to start a fight or anything. I don’t care what the executives say. You’re never going to be as famous as me. I am always the King. You can have your little “Year of Luigi” but Mario is always going to be the face of Nintendo.” Luigi yelled, “You watch Mario. You are going to fall from being an alpha plumber to being a bottom feeder!” With that, Luigi stormed away. Mario, on the other hand, acted as if nothing was wrong. “Just gotta put out the facts,” he mumbled. As Mario strolled along, a sudden howl was heard in the tress beside the road. A rustling of leaves added to the ominous sense of danger Mario was getting. He began to jog along the road hoping to reach the castle soon. Suddenly, there was a crack. Mario turned around. The last words he said were, “Bang, Ding, Ow.”

Luigi was mad out of his mind. He growled, “That witless ape thinks that he’s better than everyone else. I’ll teach that egoistic shell-of-a-Koopa.” As he was walking along, he saw his old friend Yoshi. “Hey Yosh, where ya headed?” Luigi asked. Yoshi responded with barely comprehendible speech, “Lunch.” Luigi raised an eyebrow, “In the woods?” Yoshi replied, “I’m a dinosaur. Give me a break.” Luigi kept moving along. Suddenly, Luigi heard a cry. It sounded like a cry for help. Luigi ran back as fast as he could. As he approached the grove of trees, he heard someone squirming. There, bounded tightly with piranha stem, was Wario. Luigi untied him and helped him get to his feet. “Wario, brother, what happened!” Luigi exclaimed. Wario panted, “That son of a Piranha plant Mario did this to me!” I was just minding my own business, collecting specimens for my exquisite bug collection, and then he came. He was all angry and started beating me up. Then, he bound me and ran towards the Sacred Pool. You’ve got to stop hum Luigi!” Luigi took one look up. “Will you be all right Wario?” Wario responded, “Of course. Just go stop that criminal and deliver the justice he deserves!”

Luigi took off. He ran with all his jealousy for Mario fueling his muscles. The Sacred Pool wasn’t far. He kept going. “Just a bit further, just a bit more,” Luigi told himself. Suddenly, he fell. He scrambled back up and saw a dark figure. He was about to punch the figure, but was tackled before he could do anything. In the dim light, he saw a “W”. “Waluigi, what are you doing here” Luigi gasped in shock. “I haven’t seen you in years!” Waluigi responded bitterly, “You left me behind and you never came back. I was locked away in the dungeons with the minions of Bowser watching my every move. Only Wario came to help me, and even then, I barely came back alive! Now, I will exact my revenge by destroying you and your brother!” Luigi began to speak, but then turned his attention to the commotion in the area. There, Mario was being held by Bowser. All eyes were on Mario, without his cap, being held by two Koopalings. Next to him was Wario! “It’s a trap!” Luigi thought to himself. Luigi began racking his brain for ideas. He then though of an idea so wild, so impossible, he was pretty much sure it wouldn’t work. He made a high-pitched gurgling sound, the kind you make when you brush your teeth. Waluigi frowned at him, and looked around. Nothing happened. Luigi was ready to give up. There was no way out. As Bowser continued to delivery his victory speech, a sudden shout came from one of the Koopalings. “What’s that?” one of them yelled. On a thin tree branch high above the ground was a spotted green egg. The branch was slowly bending under the weight of the egg. Then it broke. The egg splattered to the ground and made a large noise. Suddenly, out of the woods came Yoshi and behind him an army of Toads! Chaos erupted at the Sacred Pond as the Koopalings and Bowser tried to fight back against the toads. As Luigi wildly looked around, he saw a familiar figure creep up behind Waluigi. There was a large thump, and Waluigi was gone. “Yoshi, that was just downright scary,” Luigi commented. Yoshi nonchalantly said, “I know.” With Bowser subdued, Luigi and Yoshi approached Wario. Wario flexed his muscles and prepared to fight. Yoshi and Luigi prepared themselves, but feared it was a losing battle. Wario’s strength outclassed the both of them and they realized it might be their last battle. But before the fight even began, Wario simply disappeared. The culprit: one of Wario’s own Piranha plants. Starved by his cruel captors, it was ready to stop its evil master. With Wario gone, and Bowser scampering away into the woods, peace had been restored.

With their main protagonist in the belly of a murderous plant, the Nintendo board of Directors unanimously decided to cancel WarioWare, Inc. Mortis Megagames. Meanwhile, the Mushroom Kingdom celebrated the heroics of Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi. The last person to thank them was none other than Princess Peach. And waiting on the dining table was freshly baked cake.

The End!

A good read that had a really nice, warm-and-fuzzy-feeling ending. :cat:

Reactions: TAG
Third Place: @dwikrid

<Sorry for the late reply. You must’ve been waiting for me since no one else has sent any idea to flip his table – to compete with Wario’s.>

Mario typed the sentence as he woke up from his sleep. It was a nightmare for Mario – both in dream and reality – since Nintendo, God in Mario’s realm, would soon create a new bubble universe to Wario. Mario and Bowser had been competing to conquer The Eight Worlds since, and there were havocs everywhere, dangerous for everyone.

The new bubble universe – World 9-1 – given to Wario was issued with good stuff. There were sayings that Wario’s universe would be full of happiness, since many games would be held there for everyone, ranging from puzzle to survival. Goombas had been taking exodus there to build new colony, and they scored higher when you stepped on them. Twice – oh, sorry – it was thrice. Richer Walls moved their bank account to World 9-1. Even the Firewall would not hurt you to death since the Bowser’s powerplant energy was reduced thanks to the exodus.

“Nah, the message is too pessimistic. I have to change it somehow.” Mario cleared the text from his smartphone and thought to himself what to write next

Fewer creatures were seen in The Eight Worlds. What were left were empty pipes and non-producing coin walls. Wario stepped further by building his own gaming company for everyone in World 9-1: WarioWare, Inc. It was a far step, leaving the tribal, primitive war between Mario and Bowser – claiming Worlds, taking princess a hostage... what a classic, boring tale.

What’s the meaning of conquering The Eight Worlds if there were nobody left to control? The desire to fight and save Peach didn’t shine brighter as ever, since when Pearl left Bowser’s Castle hand-in-hand with Mario, she would see nothing but void.

I want to see Peach with happiness on her face. No, even Bowser wouldn’t be so enthusiastic taking Peach a hostage because there was no one protesting except me.

Since Mario stuck with words, he finally typed the same message... to his archenemy, Bowser. In these times, teamworking between the protagonist and the antagonist would not be impossible. Mario did not care whether the line between good and evil would be blurred even more. Bowser might betray him along the way... no.

Because betraying means death.

“Sent.” Mario added some another sentences in his message, and after sending it, he waited a while to see a reply.

<It’s really dangerous, Mario! We could be sent to the Title Screen once we fail! And you will leave Princess Peach in an astronomical measure of grief! But to be against Nintendo needs such grave risk. To open the endless, forbidden world... since we were His children.>

<Help me.>

To halt Nintendo’s creation, they would take risk to open The Expanse, World -1, thus attracting Him completely.

A fine story that is, again, best enjoyed with a little legacy Nintendo knowledge. :)

Congratulations to our three winners! :D Fireworks and explosions!

• @TAG wins glory and 100 Play Coins! :nailbiting:
  • @sodajet wins glory and 75 Play Coins! :eek:
  • @dwikrid wins glory and 50 Play Coins! :dead:
A big thanks to the participants, and goodnight! :cat:

Reactions: dwikrid, sodajet, TAG and 1 other person
Congrats guys. I'm going to read all three later today.

Reactions: TAG and sodajet
Thank You so much! I'm very glad you liked my story. :D
Congratulations to all the other participants too! :thumbsup:

Reactions: TAG
Oh, I won the third place! Glad to know this news. Congratulations to other winners :)

Reactions: TAG and sodajet
Lol, I was wondering why my play coin count seemed higher. Much thanks! :)

Congrats to all who participated!

Reactions: sodajet
Back