The sad facts of games

• Thread starter Kawaki
  • Start date
Kawaki

Kawaki

Kuro Ookami
Towns Folk
All the games out there that i love always have some kind of dirtiness from them. The ones that are 100% clean are cheap, and lame games such as sky peace. You can't get much cleaner than that, but it is also a very lame game. If ever you come across a game that is good and clean, surely it is super expensive expect for the one rare game, Iron Combat. It was clean and cheap, though it could have been made a bit better. But I should say it was worth the price.

Reactions: Kakea
What is your definition of "dirtiness" and "clean"? The fanservices? Dirty jokes? Or something else? Everything have a certain degree of "dirtiness" in it, it's what most of the fun made up IMO.

Reactions: Slayerpon Tatsu and MindzEye
I've often though of this myself. There seems to be in inverse relationship between quality and cleanliness. When there is more effort, time, money, and skill put into a game there always seems to be more language, sexual content, violence, and other negative influences.

I don't get what do you mean by clean.

I don't get what do you mean by clean.
Different people have different ideas about what is clean, but a clean basically means that it doesn't have objectionable content like language, or violence. When a game has something in it that someone finds wrong or offensive they describe it as dirty.

Different people have different ideas about what is clean, but a clean basically means that it doesn't have objectionable content like language, or violence. When a game has something in it that someone finds wrong or offensive they describe it as dirty.

Are they games that won't be considered offensive?
You can make a game that is about sqaures and it will be considered circlephobic (that is a joke, but you get the point)

Reactions: Hayleia, Kakea, Slayerpon Tatsu and 1 other person
Are they games that won't be considered offensive?
You can make a game that is about sqaures and it will be considered circlephobic (that is a joke, but you get the point)
It all depends on the person. Something might be offensive to someone, but not to others. I just pointed out a few things that are commonly labeled as offensive in some degree.

Oh alright, then... how is that sad? I don't see how dirtiness would make games worse in any way, some games even get better because of not being 100% clean.

Oh alright, then... how is that sad? I don't see how dirtiness would make games worse in any way, some games even get better because of not being 100% clean.

Because some people, including myself at sometimes, don't like offensive stuff in games, and therefore will not buy games because of that kind of content, when other things like the gameplay, graphics, and story may be very well created. Mostly its just different people opinions and choices of what they think is acceptable or not, and sometimes you don't feel comfortable with a game because of offensive content and will choose to not play it even if it has other good elements.

I mean, Super Mario 64 was clean and fun: Wasn't lame to me at all, either. It has the most basic of violence in it (Jumping on Goombas, Koopas ect.), but no gore or anything like that lel. Your perspective of any game that isn't clean ultimately equals sadness, but that's not quite the case with other people: Myself included. A game like GTA has all sorts of bad and dirty in it (depending on the person, this makes the game better), but there are a lot of genuine great and fun things in the game as well.

Reactions: MindzEye
I mean, Super Mario 64 was clean and fun: Wasn't lame to me at all, either. It has the most basic of violence in it (Jumping on Goombas, Koopas ect.), but no gore or anything like that lel. Your perspective of any game that isn't clean ultimately equals sadness, but that's not quite the case with other people: Myself included. A game like GTA has all sorts of bad and dirty in it (depending on the person, this makes the game better), but there are a lot of genuine great and fun things in the game as well.

I agree with this. A game can be clean, like Mario or Kirby, and still be very fun and good. It just seems nowadays most games that are the expensive Triple A titles, are fps's or other dirty games. That why I like Nintendo, because more of there games are going to be geared for families and kids. They have a lot more fun games that are clean than Sony or Microsoft. They still have their M rated games, but there is a lot more choices for family friendly games.

Also even I don't think dirtiness always ruins a game. It all depends on the game. MH4U is rated T and does have lots of blood and stuff, and some crude humor, but I still like it. Its one of my favorite 3ds games.

(Though to be honest it really isn't that bad at all. I don't quite get why its rated T. I Mean you killing fake monsters, its not like you're blowing people's heads off.)

Well, on some other games you're blowing heads off fake people, they're not real either =P

I don't see how bad language can be detrimental to the game? Everything can be offensive to anyone, video games themselves can be considered offensive, does that mean video games are bad? Nope. Does it mean they should stop making video games? Nope, again.

Reactions: MindzEye
Well, on some other games you're blowing heads off fake people, they're not real either =P

I don't see how bad language can be detrimental to the game? Everything can be offensive to anyone, video games themselves can be considered offensive, does that mean video games are bad? Nope. Does it mean they should stop making video games? Nope, again.

Like I've said before it depends on the person. Some things may offend me, and therefore I don't want games with those things in it, when they may not offend you.
Developers can make whatever games they want. I don't care if they makes games that I consider incredibly offensive. Its their right to make whatever they want, but its also my right to not like it and not buy their game. I can also be disappointed that they included things that offend me when I would have liked other elements of the game.

I never measure a game on its so-called "cleanliness", unless I'm playing in front of a young audience. Otherwise, it has no effect on me.

Content that makes a game great falls into three steps.
  1. The control scheme and how it's used,
  2. The subtle in-game laws and systems,
  3. The appearance of the game. (But this is marginal.)
Two games on two ends of the spectrum are Tetris and Devil may Cry III.
  • Tetris is one of the cleanest games I know. All you're really doing is clearing blocks from a matrix to classical music. (Isn't that how hipster babies are being taught nowadays? ^~^) It's this simplicity that makes it one of the top puzzle games in the world, and one of my most loved hobbies.
  • Devil may Cry III is by no stretch a kiddie game, especially on its higher difficulty settings. (Its gothic background, bleeding monsters, and usual cussin' bring the game about to M.) Yet with its hair-trigger nerve and required pattern-recognition skills, this game becomes a masterwork, rife with high-level techniques that take more than moments to understand inside-out.
See, what offends anyone is different, so everyone can be offended by something. No one is arguing that. Does it affect how good the game is? If one can ignore that which they are somehow offended by, one will have just a game. "Dirty" content doesn't factor into gameplay, it factors into experience - Ergo, two people play the same game but experience it differently.

Reactions: Blue Knight, TribstyAnn, Shin and 2 others
@Spinnerweb why do I feel like you liked his post just because he praised DMC3? :p

Reactions: Kakea, MindzEye, Blue Knight and 1 other person
Splatoon is the dirtiest game out there btw. I don't really care for the other arguments that just needed to be said

Reactions: Shin, 4362, Iridium Winter and 2 others
Splatoon is the dirtiest game out there btw. I don't really care for the other arguments that just needed to be said
Hey kid, wanna some ink?

Edit: Same with Pokémon GO
Hey kid, wanna some candy?

Reactions: Kakea, Shin, TerraKnight and 3 others
If it's a Fantasy genre game then yes it can be dirty based on impressions and basically any small detail in the game.
If it's a Sci-fi genre it depends on the maturity, not just gore but also dialogue.
App style games with simple shapes/numbers (ex. Geometry Dash/2048) aren't anything to worry about.
Horror is the same as Sci-Fi and/or Fantasy.
For humor in a game anything goes and it couldn't be considered clean.
Too much censoring for example is really bad though. Redeads shouldn't be considered magic creatures but zombies right?

Cleanliness all depends on the game. You can't have some sort hardcore super edgy gory game without any edge. Or gore. Or anything hardcore in general. As long as it doesn't ruin the game a little dirtiness never hurt anybodt. If you can't handle something like swears in a game then why are you playing the game? It all comes down to circumstances and scenrais. If it doesn't ruin it it's fine.
And as others have stated 100% clean games aren't always sucky.

Even then, the existence of "100% clean games" is debatable at best.

Even Mario gets to see Bowser's skin melt off in lava with a smile in his face.

Reactions: Kakea and Tho
Back