The sad facts of games

• Thread starter Kawaki
  • Start date
I thought you guys would talk about the fact you get nothing at all for completing a game :/ Well at least the classic games like super Mario bros and legend of Zelda sure there where hard mode and secretes but after doing that nothing happens! you just get some credits and you see names you can't even pronounce correctly.
*contains some swears*

I thought you guys would talk about the fact you get nothing at all for completing a game :/ Well at least the classic games like super Mario bros and legend of Zelda sure there where hard mode and secretes but after doing that nothing happens! you just get some credits and you see names you can't even pronounce correctly.
*contains some swears*
I've been meaning to reply on this thread for a while, but what you just posted forced me to explain some things! Achievements are literally the DUMBEST form of post game content and are only meant to trick stupid people into buying games that are nowhere near as big as the old ones and are just there to make the game seem to last longer to complete instead of actually making the game better and bigger! Extra levels, new game plus, new areas, etc. that offer something more than the regular playthrough or something different are all MUCH better options than achievements that do nothing other than require you to buy DLCs to get them!:p

@TIGER2, you want the real sad fact about games? People think that looks matter the most instead of quality, content and mechanics! That has resulted in many, if not most, of the games from 2009 and on to just be focused on LOOKING good, but are terrible compared to other games that are actually good and often overlooked just because they don't have really high quality art styles! People won't understand that there phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" doesn't only refer to books, but games and other things too (eg: anime)! This is why we hardly get any quality games anymore, all we get are graphics focused games that are buggy, have terrible mechanics, even worse story and gameplay, get even worse when ported on another system, hardly take any time to beat and aren't even fun any! What's could possibly be worse than that? DLCs instead of the actual game of course! After developers kept seeing how people would buy anything they were told to, they took advantage of that stupidity with DLCs that should actually be part of the game and basically have made people pay full price for an incomplete game and then pay again for the rest at an even higher price just to profit! Of course not all DLCs are like that, but most DLCs are, especially those of certain companies (*cough*Valve/Nintendo*cough*). However, the ones that should be part of the actual game outnumber the ones that it's ok if they aren't in the main version that they have ruined gaming as an activity and hobby for good!

And just to be clear about the graphics, before Hellgate London spoiled everyone with it's really high quality graphics, no one ever complained if a game looked bad as long as it played nice and was fun. Still, at least HL was also a great game in every other aspect and is easily the best game of 2007 and one of the best of all time! Regardless though, I can list more than 50 games that have relatively bad graphics but are masterpieces! Take the relatively new Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey for example, art looks relatively bad on purpose just to make it look like the originals, but it's a truly beautiful game!:D

To address the dirtiness in games though, just because there's something you don't like doesn't mean you should be against the game, others may actually like it! The developers can't make a game for everyone, there will always be some people who don't like a game, don't expect the creators to compromise their ideas just to cater to you. Of course needless things like unreasonable violence or nudity just to sell more are bad and I'm against those, but a game that is intended to be violent shouldn't be accused of being too violent (eg: No More Heroes) or a game that is more for adults and contains nudity or sexual themes shouldn't be accused of being inappropriate for younger audiences (eg: the Leisure Suit Larry games). That's what the age ratings and symbols are there for, to show you what's in the game so if you don't want that you can just not buy it and instead move on to something you like more!:p It's not like all games have those things in them, so why do you find it necessary to even complain about it?:/

Last edited:
Reactions: Shin and MindzEye
I've been meaning to reply on this thread for a while, but what you just posted forced me to explain some things! Achievements are literally the DUMBEST form of post game content and are only meant to trick stupid people into buying games that are nowhere near as big as the old ones and are just there to make the game seem to last longer to complete instead of actually making the game better and bigger! Extra levels, new game plus, new areas, etc. that offer something more than the regular playthrough or something different are all MUCH better options than achievements that do nothing other than require you to buy DLCs to get them!:p

@TIGER2, you want the real sad fact about games? People think that looks matter the most instead of quality, content and mechanics! That has resulted in many, if not most, of the games from 2009 and on to just be focused on LOOKING good, but are terrible compared to other games that are actually good and often overlooked just because they don't have really high quality art styles! People won't understand that there phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" doesn't only refer to books, but games and other things too (eg: anime)! This is why we hardly get any quality games anymore, all we get are graphics focused games that are buggy, have terrible mechanics, even worse story and gameplay, get even worse when ported on another system, hardly take any time to beat and aren't even fun any! What's could possibly be worse than that? DLCs instead of the actual game of course! After developers kept seeing how people would buy anything they were told to, they took advantage of that stupidity with DLCs that should actually be part of the game and basically have made people pay full price for an incomplete game and then pay again for the rest at an even higher price just to profit! Of course not all DLCs are like that, but most DLCs are, especially those of certain companies (*cough*Valve/Nintendo*cough*). However, the ones that should be part of the actual game outnumber the ones that it's ok if they aren't in the main version that they have ruined gaming as an activity and hobby for good!

And just to be clear about the graphics, before Hellgate London spoiled everyone with it's really high quality graphics, no one ever complained if a game looked bad as long as it played nice and was fun. Still, at least HL was also a great game in every other aspect and is easily the best game of 2007 and one of the best of all time! Regardless though, I can list more than 50 games that have relatively bad graphics but are masterpieces! Take the relatively new Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey for example, art looks relatively bad on purpose just to make it look like the originals, but it's a truly beautiful game!:D

To address the dirtiness in games though, just because there's something you don't like doesn't mean you should be against the game, others may actually like it! The developers can't make a game for everyone, there will always be some people who don't like a game, don't expect the creators to compromise their ideas just to cater to you. Of course needless things like unreasonable violence or nudity just to sell more are bad and I'm against those, but a game that is intended to be violent shouldn't be accused of being too violent (eg: No More Heroes) or a game that is more for adults and contains nudity or sexual themes shouldn't be accused of being inappropriate for younger audiences (eg: the Leisure Suit Larry games). That's what the age ratings and symbols are there for, to show you what's in the game so if you don't want that you can just not buy it and instead move on to something you like more!:p It's not like all games have those things in them, so why do you find it necessary to even complain about it?:/
WOAHH dat alot of text du ohul realy reads? okie! oshul read oshul read and make u proud
undertale_temmie_by_silvishinystar-d9lpf55.png

Yo @Tho I think just tagging you is easier than replying to all that txt.

I agree.
Mostly on how a game's looks are non sequitur to the overall performance of said game. A game doesn't need to look like a new life in order to interest the player. Also, a game doesn't need to be "adult" for an adult to really appreciate it. It's all about those first two rules I listed. (The third one I listed just because looking nice looks nice, but is not important.)

I blame the gaming industry for thinking that graphics are important, I blame the shallow cultures of most humans who fell for it. "Less is more" as has been said a thousand times before.

Imagine the kind of lengths we could reach if we didn't give such a damn about how a game looks: Mario could have a thousand levels in one game, megaman could have rogue levels & enemies, other over-the-top examples if we cut graphics a little bit.

Reactions: Tho
Yo @Tho I think just tagging you is easier than replying to all that txt.

I agree.
Mostly on how a game's looks are non sequitur to the overall performance of said game. A game doesn't need to look like a new life in order to interest the player. Also, a game doesn't need to be "adult" for an adult to really appreciate it. It's all about those first two rules I listed. (The third one I listed just because looking nice looks nice, but is not important.)

I blame the gaming industry for thinking that graphics are important, I blame the shallow cultures of most humans who fell for it. "Less is more" as has been said a thousand times before.

Imagine the kind of lengths we could reach if we didn't give such a damn about how a game looks: Mario could have a thousand levels in one game, megaman could have rogue levels & enemies, other over-the-top examples if we cut graphics a little bit.
About that lengths part, if people stopped caring about graphics so much, not only would games take considerable less amounts of storage, but also indeed allow for more levels and content with the same size as it otherwise have, making it a much more complete game! Nowadays, especially for computer games, there are games that take insane amounts of disk space while they only last for a mere couple of hours to play through! It's really aggravating to see games need 40-50GB of space only to last 15 hours or so!:mad:

Reactions: Hayleia and MindzEye
About that lengths part, if people stopped caring about graphics so much, not only would games take considerable less amounts of storage, but also indeed allow for more levels and content with the same size as it otherwise have, making it a much more complete game! Nowadays, especially for computer games, there are games that take insane amounts of disk space while they only last for a mere couple of hours to play through! It's really aggravating to see games need 40-50GB of space only to last 15 hours or so!:mad:
That's what I call the sad facts of videogames! :wtf:

Reactions: Hayleia
Some games have an end when you don't want it to end. No more post-game content to be played.

I like your new picture. Anyway, Looks are important to me when it comes to games. I like the way donkey kong looked for the super nintendo. It isn't just how real it looks, it is the quality. For example, the quality of Spirited away is good, though the actual art isn't the best, i was able to flow with it and get used to it. Not everything to me is about looks. For instance, people, I prefer the quality of the people, not their appearance.

I like your new picture. Anyway, Looks are important to me when it comes to games. I like the way donkey kong looked for the super nintendo. It isn't just how real it looks, it is the quality. For example, the quality of Spirited away is good, though the actual art isn't the best, i was able to flow with it and get used to it. Not everything to me is about looks. For instance, people, I prefer the quality of the people, not their appearance.
Looks are, again, arbitrary to the performance of the game. I played Limbo, and that's one of the minimal minimalist games you may yet see. It's atmosphere, audio, and low graphics leave a mind to imagine all sorts of grayscale nightmares.

Reactions: Shin and Tho
Looks are, again, arbitrary to the performance of the game. I played Limbo, and that's one of the minimal minimalist games you may yet see. It's atmosphere, audio, and low graphics leave a mind to imagine all sorts of grayscale nightmares.
some games are an exception. Many platform games are really fun, and the pixel effect often makes it better!

Dunno why "dirtiness" is necessarily a bad thing though.

I remember when Ninja Gaiden II Sigma came out and people didn't like it as much even though it had more characters and more missions, because the gore was toned down and replaced with purple smoke when you decapitated someone etc.

The original Ninja Gaiden II had a tonne of blood and guts in it, and every move you did in that game felt deadly and imposing, seriously you feel like a complete monster in that game, but in a good way.

Basically game feel is important too and putting in violence and risque stuff can drastically change the theme of something and make the player feel more strongly about the game, which is good.

that and the extra stuff in sigma 2 kinda sucked anyway but the point still stands

Looks can totally convey all sorts of feelings. That's not the same as "blood makes a game better." So long as the atmosphere, color scheme, and such decorative assets work in the manner the dev wants it too, it'll be at least an ok game. It's the pace, gameplay, and reflex what wins me over more likely than not.

What one finds "dirty " is completely subjective . For each person they may be fine with one thing but not ok with another. Just as in the real world tho it's not really always good to sugar coat things , so I feel it should be the same when one tells a story. Sometimes the most engaging story isn't always the cleanest but that in no way makes it bad and sometimes it takes that kind of in-depth telling to make someone feel something. Don't get me wrong tho there are games out there purely for shock value and nothing more but those games tend to be garbage. There are a lot of things that will offend some people but this often stems from a misunderstanding or a lack there of. I've seen a lot of games that some people have a misunderstanding about and deem it as a "dirty" or bad game but it turn out to really be no big thing. What is important is that if you like the game and have some understanding of it then there isn't any problem with liking that game. We all have our thresholds of what is going to far so if one comes to find something of that nature then they just don't have to play it cause no one is make them to do it. There are still a lot of enjoyable games out there that aren't that bad.

Reactions: Shin, MindzEye and Tho
Back