What do you think about SSB4's AI ?

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
As we all know, we saw that SSB4 just got a brand new, updated AI.
Well, though now it doesn't rushes to the nearest valuable item, it stills fights pretty well, and I like that, they feel more human in this one, and even more when you set the CPU's AI to level 9 (seems logic, right ?).

I've also noticed that the Villager's AI also calculate the perfect time to cancel some attacks using projectiles, and it's funnier, but somewhat annoying (well, it doesn't annoy me anyway, but I guess it does annoy some players) if you're willing to make as much KOs as possible in 2 minutes (demo limit).

But the only con I've noticed in the demo comes when Pikachu triggers his Final Smash. The AI start ignoring totally the other ones, focusing a bit too much on the player, while sometimes there are situations where the other AIs would be much easier to KO, and it's a bit sad, because I think the AI should focus primarily on enemies with high damage for easier KOs, and not necessarily/only players who tend to have low damage percentage.

Otherwise, I really enjoy SSB4's AI (and the demo as well ;)).
What are your reactions to SSB4's AI ? Happy, amazed, disappointed, anything ?

I actually think they're definitely improved a lot! Well compared to the N64 theyve improved a lot ;P I haven't played much of melee or brawl :( I'm content with the CPUs so far though

When multiple Lv. 9 CPUs are on the stage it seems like they always focus one either protecting themselves or attacking a certain player because I can shoot some projectiles from a distance on one side of the stage without all 3 of them caring however if they do focus on you in FFA with 4 fighters or 2 they sometimes like to shield perfectly or they seem to grab/attack just the right moment when you start/stop shielding/shield grabbing. Basically in Smash the fastest and most accurate/best predictor wins. While they are perfectly accurate they cannot predict your movements unless you shield or you did an attack and they shield/cape/pocket but not all the time to make it fair on you.

I think the way the Villager is built you are having a few problems but I can find multiple ways to get around him (on stage but not off the bottom corners of the stage because you should be screwed if the Villager player is decent).

For the most part the AI is pretty solid and provides a good yet beatable challenge. The Megaman AI sucks, but that might just be because he's weaker than link who I main with.
The only problems I've come across are the projectile wars which happen at level 9 in 1v1, where me and the other character are just shooting projectiles at each other street fighter style.
The other problem is how the AI drops whatever it's doing and rushes towards pokeballs and assist trophies.

Compared to older versions I feel like the AI has really improved and I feel like it's actually become near human, not the top player status but somewhere near the average player, but overall yea pretty decent.

The CPUs first move on battlefield is to jump forward for some reason....

yeah the ai have inproved alot i have a hard time winning on lv 9

Omega mode on Battlefield (Though I prefer Final Destination) with 1 LV 9 can be pretty intense especially with mind games on the line to beat them lol With 3 LV 9s becomes pretty messy especially with items around lol But still, items=fun, Omega=Competitive lol

Omega mode on Battlefield (Though I prefer Final Destination) with 1 LV 9 can be pretty intense especially with mind games on the line to beat them[...]

I know right ? The worst of all the Lv. 9 to face is Mario. It's almost impossible. I won a few times against him the first times I played the demo, but now... Seems like the CPU literally reads your inputs and acts in consequence.
Otherwise, it's Side-B spamming, with a few Grab -> Smash combos.

As for the Villager's AI, there might be a tip: Using an attack that reflects a projectile on him while he rides the Gyroid Rocket sends him back from where he came from.

I know right ? The worst of all the Lv. 9 to face is Mario. It's almost impossible. I won a few times against him the first times I played the demo, but now... Seems like the CPU literally reads your inputs and acts in consequence.
Otherwise, it's Side-B spamming, with a few Grab -> Smash combos.

As for the Villager's AI, there might be a tip: Using an attack that reflects a projectile on him while he rides the Gyroid Rocket sends him back from where he came from.
I'd like to tell everyone that the cape can be shielded and you will not be flipped by it, so unless Mario is in the air you might as well go for a Grab [with Mega Man]. I wish his AI would try and spike me with a forward air just because I want to see him do the desperate.

Having Villager ride the rocket just leaves him vulnerable [to Mega Man's up air]. And did I mention Pikachu spams Thundershock, Thunder, and aerials when not recovering. Same with Link and Villager on the ground (they are trying to space you out or at least that's what happens when you play as Mega Man). I could complain about the AI is too methodical and predictable but maybe because that is how I try to fight too, with lots of pressure.

I think the AIs produce enough of a challenge to be entertaining. They don't really do a mad dash for the Smash ball, with kind of stinks because usually when you play with friends, the smash ball appears and the whole room explodes.

I'm really satisfied with the AI though :singing:

I'm fine with the Ai besides the fact that whenever you use the beetle or boss galaga item on them they always escape when on level 9 besides that I'm fine with the new Ai

I noticed that the higher you have the Ai level, they love to hang on the cliffs to dodge attacks, seems like a cheap move to me. Since it's only the demo, maybe it's really different from the final release. Yeah, that villager's pocket are OP. XD

I noticed that the higher you have the Ai level, they love to hang on the cliffs to dodge attacks, seems like a cheap move to me. Since it's only the demo, maybe it's really different from the final release. Yeah, that villager's pocket are OP. XD

I've never seen the AI stalling. But if they do, guess what my reaction will be ?
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIII !
But their invincibility frames will go away if they try to grab too much the cliffs without getting back on the stage. That will make less people complain in tournaments.

Another fun thing with the Villager is to put another Villager's tree in your pocket and use it when you can, or cancel Link's Final Smash with B (pocket must be empty, and you must have a perfect timing in order for it to work). Yep, it works.

Reactions: Artisan and RickyBamBam
I never knew this about the villager, cancelling Link's final smash! So much for one of my favorite characters. ;/ Guess I'll have to be very careful around any villagers.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I never knew this about the villager, cancelling Link's final smash! So much for one of my favorite characters. ;/ Guess I'll have to be very careful around any villagers.

Proof:

Of course, as I said, it requires a perfect timing, as if the invincibility frames end too early, I guess that you'll still get caught in Link's Final Smash.

Reactions: RickyBamBam
Proof:

Of course, as I said, it requires a perfect timing, as if the invincibility frames end too early, I guess that you'll still get caught in Link's Final Smash.
I had no freaking idea the villager could cancel out Final Smashes... Sakurai you DOG (stale pun intended, *Duck Hunt Dog*) !

On the overall, I'm satisfied, and content with SSB4's AI. On Lvl 9, they give me quite a run for my money (and items), pretty tough to capture an Assist Trophy! It's been improved compared to earlier titles in the franchise though (what Alikuas said).

Reactions: 423
I had no freaking idea the villager could cancel out Final Smashes... Sakurai you DOG (stale pun intended, *Duck Hunt Dog*) !

On the overall, I'm satisfied, and content with SSB4's AI. On Lvl 9, they give me quite a run for my money (and items), pretty tough to capture an Assist Trophy! It's been improved compared to earlier titles in the franchise though (what Alikuas said).

Well, it doesn't really cancel the Final Smash, it's more that he dodges it thanks to the invincibility frames he gains whenerver he uses his Neutral B attack with his pocket empty. Since the game seems to consider these frames as if the character was dodging the attack (Down/Up + R), it thinks that Link is attacking the air/nothing.

Well, it doesn't really cancel the Final Smash, it's more that he dodges it thanks to the invincibility frames he gains whenerver he uses his Neutral B attack with his pocket empty. Since the game seems to consider these frames as if the character was dodging the attack (Down/Up + R), it thinks that Link is attacking the air/nothing.
Oh, I see! Wow, that's pretty awesome, Villager would massacre the stage then unless my Rosalina is there. :sneaky:
I've been looking up Let's Plays non-stop and hearing everyone comment on how well the CPU's difficulty is really pleasing! So I think I would enjoy Smash Run/Allstar-mode etc. a lot! Though, I'll mostly play online. :)

Reactions: D4rkDragon
The one thing that I have caught on to with the Level 9 AIs (When fighting 1 on 1 with them in the demo) is the way they react when they get a KO off of you. The AIs almost always dodge-roll to an edge of the stage until you respawn and begin attacking again. If anyone knows, why do they do that? Is it an effective technique of some sort? I don't quite get their fighting style...

Back