When do you think the Wii U eShop will end?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Do you know how long it took for the Wii to die? The Wii U may be pretty much easy to homebrew, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo is going to give up on it so easy. Obviously it's going to stay for a long while, Wii U stays until 2024, and 3DS stays till 2025. Nintendo Switch stays still 2028

Note: You can still physically go to the Wii Shop Channel, and get the Legend of Zelda Skyward Swords Update
Homebrew yes, getting wii u roms absolutely no unfortunately.

I think the Wii u and 3ds will shut down at the same time since server maintenance costs very little (technically most games are peer to peer anyways) and because of that they are probably are making profit on the Wii u with the little sales they got.

Plus, a lot of Wii u games are online dependent, so I'd definitely agree with the rather late dates.

Reactions: Jisenku
I think the wii u eshop could end in 2021 but the wii shop ran for like 10+ years so theirs no telling when the wii u eshop would end. I feel like it would be a dumb idea to end the wii u eshop since splatoon one (surprisingly) is still going strong In 2020. Heck I find people faster in splatoon 1 than splatoon 2. Most liking cause you gotta pay $20 a year for online on switch where on wii u it's free to use which is one of the best perks for wii u. I don't see the wii u dying anytime soon especially since wii u released an update like a year ago or so for the wii u even though the wii u as outdated compared to the switch. They mainly did this cause of hackers. Very surprising they still care but its Nintendo. If Nintendo shuts down the shop or the servers any time soon i'll cry.

By now most of us should have heard the news about the Wii Shop Channel coming to an end. We will no longer be able to download our Wii games, which makes physical copies of games better in these cases.

I'm wondering when you guys think the Wii U eShop will be put to an end.
It was very confusing to me at the time (as my friend used to own a Wii U, would've been useul tody ngl) It makes sense now that i look at it in the future, as the Nintendo Switch was about to get announced, and they don't want people buying from their old stores anymore and move on to the fresh, new, and portable one.

Nintendo was in a tough spot as a company at the time, as the 3DS had very low sales at launch date, the Wii U was massively a failure, and they really needed something that would be a hit at the time, and the Nintendo Switch was perfect for that, I mean a hybrid console??? just get you handheld device that can play AAA console titles and put it on a dock to get it to play on the television via HDMI, GENIUS! And the joy-cons? two contollers, turn em into one controller with the XBox One Button Layouts. Works Perfectly! Lot's of features! HD Rumble, IR Sensor, Motion Controls, you name it! All in this one tiny device. GENIUS! But other than that, the Switch didn't really have much going for it (unless the new launch title Zelda game we've been waiting about 6 years for is great and is a hit. Spoiler Alert: It was.) and they really need to make money. So the solution they thought of? Reduce the consumers for the old, dying, failure, trash sales Wii U Console and make the brand new Nintendo Switch Games as one of the only options that remain. kinda genius.

Besides, fast-forwards to present day 2020, everything is fine and dandy at the moment (except for COVID-19 and quarantine lol). The Nintendo Switch is doing FANTASTIC, and is currently on pace to beat the PlayStation 2 as the best selling video game console EVER by the end of its life cycle. And the Nintendo Switch is still at the first half of its life! That's crazy! At this rate, it'll even outsell the Nintendo DS as the best selling handheld video game playing systems ever as well! 57 million units is super duper crazy lol.

Seeing as the Wii shop stayed active for so long, there is a possibility that it stays open for a few more years.

The thing is the Switch is doing really well, while the Wii U didn’t do too hot. So keeping the Wii shop open for an extended period of years might have made more sense, as the Wii had a large userbase even if the Wii U was technically the newest console. So ultimately I think the Wii U shop will be open for only the next year max.

Back