Why is Donkey Kong called "Donkey"?

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date
That's true :D
Yeah. I don't know. I bet the only way we'll know for sure, is if Nintendo says why he's called "Donkey" Kong someday. Maybe they don't want us to know...:locktopic:

Reactions: faustine
Yeah. I don't know. I bet the only way we'll know for sure, is if Nintendo says why he's called "Donkey" Kong someday. Maybe they don't want us to know...:locktopic:

Now that's not fair Nintendo :( I'd laugh if they did it on purpose just to mess with us though.

Now that's not fair Nintendo :( I'd laugh if they did it on purpose just to mess with us though.
I wanna know! :p

I don't know where I picked this up but I've had for a while the idea that I read that Miyamoto called him "Donkey" not for the animal but for his dumb nature.

Wow, now that's kind of logical. But is he really that dumb? Haha.

They were obviously parodying King Kong. I think they may have called him Donkey because of his low intelligence and primal attitude; 'Donkey' is the kind of thing a four-year-old kid would get their giggles from calling someone they thought was silly. See, Nintendo was always child-friendly :p

I think @AliTheAce's idea is the most likely :cat:

Reactions: Mikaya and faustine
lol this is what I found while trying to figure out this exact same question... This was posted on Snopes

"It seems the entire game is a misnomer. Legend has it that the Japanese wonk who developed the game made a mistake when translating the Japanese for "Monkey Kong" into English. By the time the error was discovered millions of labels had already been printed."

Lol Sometimes I would really wonder about that kind of topic . It is really weird when you really think about the character name : Donkey Kong . I was really confused a day when I thought about it and I thought maybe it was just some sort of catchy name given to the character but I am not really sure but I hope someday some sort of answer by Nintendo justifies this because it is a good topic to know and ask about these things . Or maybe we will never know :p

Back