Mario Kart Your opinion on Mario Kart DS

• Thread starter pokemon wiz kid
  • Start date
pokemon wiz kid

pokemon wiz kid

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
What Is your opinion on Mario Kart DS? Do you like it? I personaly dont like it. The reason I dont like it is because you have to use the D-pad and the characters I dont like no offense to the people who do like them.But other than that I guess that it is OK. But i do like Mario kart 7 way better

Mario Kart 7 is probably the better game in this generation as it's newer and has more features, but I think I had a lot more fun playing MKDS than MK7. That's not to say I didn't like MK7, I just think that MKDS was a lot more accessible and had the "pick-up and play" feel to it. I also think that it's got to do with how so many people owned DS consoles, whilst much fewer people own a 3DS, as I enjoyed many multiplayer matches between large groups of friends on MKDS - on MK7 I don't get this chance very often sadly, as few friends actually own it.

Despite it's flaws, MKDS was, for it's time (well it's more than a decade old now), an incredible achievement on the DS console, especially considering the venture into online matchmaking. Track design was great and Missions Mode was a fantastic addition, probably my favourite side-attraction of any Mario Kart game, and I hope they bring it back one day.

It's understandable why people wouldn't like MKDS, but I think it's aged well - a group of friends could gather together even today, more than 10 years after it's release, and still have a ton of fun playing MKDS.

What Is your opinion on Mario Kart DS? Do you like it? I personaly dont like it. The reason I dont like it is because you have to use the D-pad and the characters I dont like no offense to the people who do like them.But other than that I guess that it is OK. But i do like Mario kart 7 way better
I have it since I was 7. It's a really good game, and this game is the reason I play Mario games today! I agree, it's annoying with the D - Pad, but I don't agree with the characters, they are really fun, and it's fun using R.O.B and Luigi in this game.

I totally skipped the DS one and picked the 3DS one instead. I agree that playing with the D-pad once you are used to the circle pad must be a hassle =/ Maybe I should give it a try at one point, I'm curious.

In my opinion, I think that it's one of the funnest Mario Kart games that I've played :p During its time, it was one of the best games you could have for the Nintendo DS and it had some things and features and tracks that I liked. One such being the mission things that you can do :p

Mario Kart DS once used to be my favorite Mario Kart game,but now that title has been passed through for Mario Kart 8.That just means it's my second favorite Mario Kart game. :pompus:
While one could say that using a D-Pad analog isn't an incredible thing,this issue can be fixed by booting up the game on a 3DS of any sorts.Yes,you could also switch to Mario Kart 7 since you are playing on a 3DS already,but honestly,I prefer DS a bit more over 7.There are things in Mario Kart 7 that are improvements from DS,such as drifting and online multiplayer,but I like the other because there are more things to do there.There are characters and karts available to unlock within a lengthy period,there is a mode based on accomplishing missions,and there's also a VS mode to play on whichever track of my choice.Not even Mario Kart 7 has a VS mode on single-player content. :bag:
I believe that despite some small marks of its aging process,Mario Kart DS is a general great fun game that I come back to a lot when going around through my DS games.Oh,and I'm not argumenting that Mario Kart 7 isn't good,because it is very good.I play that one a lot too,almost as equally as the DS game. :p

Missions and custom emblems, bruh; the best thing ever! Snaking was the way to go to actually win a race online also lol. I adore the game, even more so than MK7. Re-buying the game on Wii U VC was a dream come true. :love:

Reactions: Kadaj
I had difficulty with the D-Pad. (and the R and L buttons for that matter.) but I say it was successfully ported to the DS regardless.

I loved Mario Kart DS and I really miss playing it. :( (Why did you have to break, DS? Why? ;~; ) Using the D-Pad was hard but there are so many good points about it. Like missions, tracks, custom emblems etc. Not to mention Balloon Battles were actually fun, back in the day. >.<)/ Mario Kart 7's Balloon Battles were just ehh. .-. I don't dislike MK 7 tho, I just found the DS one more fun and stuff.

Hate it. Especially when the Red Shell decides to smack you from the side. And how is it that I can come in first on every race on 150cc and I can hardly get two stars? Plus, the drifting seems much more slippery that i occasionally go off-road. That's why I prefer 7 more. Much better.

ohh I love Mario kart ds! that's one of my biggest favorites^^ when I start playing this game I usually play for a very long time, hehehe. very classic game to me, especially being the second Mario kart game I ever played.

mario kart ds is my second favorite mario kart game the map are fantastic the item are fantastic the gamplay is classic. over mario kart ds is just amazing. on the other hand mario kart 7 is just as amazing its just my opinion but ill play mario kart ds over mario kart 7 any day. (i love both these game but mario kart ds has my favorite map Luigis circuit)

To me Mario Kart DS is the most complete Mario Kart. it's got the story mode thing, and the battle mode is fantastic. MK8 is the best one in my eyes, but only by a small margin above this one. If MK8 had the stuff in MKDS that was lost in the sequels and kept what MK8 added upon, it would've been amazing.

To me Mario Kart DS is the most complete Mario Kart. it's got the story mode thing, and the battle mode is fantastic. MK8 is the best one in my eyes, but only by a small margin above this one. If MK8 had the stuff in MKDS that was lost in the sequels and kept what MK8 added upon, it would've been amazing.
i dont really like mario kart 8 (my rating 5.5/10) the maps are not the best in the series bunch of remakes and crapy new maps the gravity thing is not that cool and the party multiplayer is a huge let down . On the plus side the graphics are amazing, lots of characters and thats about it.

Mario Kart DS was my first portable Mario Kart, so ofc I loved it :3

I remember playing it with my sisters and my cousins :'D

When seeing it on it's own merits, by comparing it to other games of it's generation, I'd say it's one of the best racers around, real shame online got killed. Only complaint is sneaking but, eh.

Right now, I do think 7 is the superior portable Mario Kart, though, with 8 being the best MK overall, but it's kinda unfair to compare them between different generations imo :0

Mario Kart DS was my first portable Mario Kart, so ofc I loved it :3

I remember playing it with my sisters and my cousins :'D

When seeing it on it's own merits, by comparing it to other games of it's generation, I'd say it's one of the best racers around, real shame online got killed. Only complaint is sneaking but, eh.

Right now, I do think 7 is the superior portable Mario Kart, though, with 8 being the best MK overall, but it's kinda unfair to compare them between different generations imo :0
dude i can go on and on but mario cart ds is probably better than mario kart 7 (i love mk7 and mkds) but the mario kart ds maps remind me of the old school awsome maps in mario kart double dash. i love mario kart 7 but the maps over all were pretty good but not better than mario kart ds.

dude i can go on and on but mario cart ds is probably better than mario kart 7 (i love mk7 and mkds) but the mario kart ds maps remind me of the old school awsome maps in mario kart double dash. i love mario kart 7 but the maps over all were pretty good but not better than mario kart ds.

I find this pretty understandable. One thing for me personally that makes mkds so memorable to me is it being the second mario kart id played my lifetime as a kid. Even so, i personally like mk7 more, most notably because of the better graphics and the course design, all combined with the new and increased boundaries that nintendo granted here with gliders and being able to go underwater in most stages. It kinda reminds me of mkwii with the new tricks techniques that were present in both mkwii and mk7, which is one of my biggest favorites techniques thats were added to the series. Yeah, it may sound kinda stupid, and its fine with me if you feel that way on about the tricks technique mechanism, idc either way. I guess i like it so much because of the sparkly looks and sounds the games make when you do these. Idk why, but for some reason i always enjoy doing this to hear the noises and see the sparkles here, kek.

I think that Mario Kart DS is a great Mario Kart game. I prefer Mario Kart 7, but DS just has so much stuff to do. Missions were a really neat idea that could've been in newer Mario Kart games. I really loved the missions, even though I had a hard time on some of them. The game is a solid entry in the series, but I felt that the game didn't really add much to the series. Sure, the battle modes were some of my favorites, especially Cherry Top and the Nintendo DS, but other than that nothing really came out of it in my opinion. It did introduce online Mario Kart, but the DS only had a WEP connection, which my house didn't have so I could rarely play it.

I think that Mario Kart DS is a great Mario Kart game. I prefer Mario Kart 7, but DS just has so much stuff to do. Missions were a really neat idea that could've been in newer Mario Kart games. I really loved the missions, even though I had a hard time on some of them. The game is a solid entry in the series, but I felt that the game didn't really add much to the series. Sure, the battle modes were some of my favorites, especially Cherry Top and the Nintendo DS, but other than that nothing really came out of it in my opinion. It did introduce online Mario Kart, but the DS only had a WEP connection, which my house didn't have so I could rarely play it.

Yes i too have much complaints about it then, wep being only type internet that worked with first ds systems had me much frustrated back then while wifi was up and working an also is active. An being at a campground that had this kind of wifi and got used to that for a while, id often go home wanting to go online and not be able to from the limits on compatibility here. Got tiring after a while..... and with no alt route this wasnt too happy for me personally. So i dont blame you at all for not liking the wep lock on first ds. Im no different there.

Mario Kart DS was one of my favorite additions to the series. It had a fun challenge mode that has never been in any other Mario Kart game, it was impressive for its time, and it had a great selection of tracks, karts, and characters. My only complaint would be that the D-pad was rather hard to control.

Back