Do you buy new or preowned nintendo games?

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
Adam

Adam

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
Times are tough for some people, so do you only buy pre-owned games or buy them the minute they come out NEW?

I always buy Nintendo games as soon as they come out, so I buy them new.

It depends on the game. If it's something I really want I'd go buy it soon after release.
Now if I'm just in GameStop or something just bored looking for something to play I'd probably buy a used game.

Reactions: x_GRaNDMa_P_x
Preowned. Much cheaper and there is a huge range. You can get older games too that you really liked or never played.

If they're new games, I buy them new. However if it's an older game I'm looking for, I'll go for pre-owned. Much cheaper.

New game if I know I'm going to really enjoy it, such as Mario Kart. If I'm not sure then I either borrow or get it used.

Honestly it really just depends on the situation that I'm in. If the game is really good and I really wanted and then I will go out and buy a new, however if it's not so good or if it's been sold out and all they have is used copies I will buy them used. Some games like Pokémon I'm okay with buying used because I can just delete the saved file. It really doesn't matter to me that much.

I usually buy new since I've had issues with used stuff in the past, and it was kinda frustrating. If I absolutely have to get a used copy though, I will. I picked up HeartGold used at GameStop because for me to get it new, I would've been dropping loads of money on it since apparently it's so rare or whatever. Just depends on the situation.

I buy new games. The reason I buy new games because the used games might be messed up. I just want it brand new so I do not have to worry about the game being messed up. I also do not have to reset the save file on the new game. If I get a used game I would have to reset the save file.

I personally would go for new games rather than pre-owned because it always gives me a more exciting feel than a used game . And there are many people who can't even keep the games in a acceptable condition so I'd rather stick to new games , they're a lot more better :thumbsup:

Typically the games I get are new but I do get preowned ones from yard sales like Pokemon XD, F-1 Race with a GB Pocket and 4 way link cable, and a few GBA games. I personally wouldn't want to get a used SSBBrawl disc unless I know the inside CD layer isn't scratched (because that's how it says the Disc can't be read even if you have no smudges on the one layer). But any cartridge game I could trust it to work.

Edit: I think my Wii has trouble reading any disc so in that case note to self to get a disk to clean the inside or you might get frustrated. XP

Last edited:
I've never realised how i bought them myself to be fair xD, but I guess looking back, and my habits now, it would depend on which Console i'm buying for. My habits have varied over the years, but i generally have this kind of routine i go through:

If i were buying, say, a DS or 3DS game, i would just buy a second hand version, because they can be in any condition( that is 2nd hand approved) and it will work perfectly without breaking or crashing whilst i'm playing. Since it is a cartridge type, it wouldn't be too harshly knocked up anyway if it was second hand because you could tell if it doesn't work anyway and retail stores would check that.

However if i were to buy a Wii game, which are discs, i would buy them first hand if possible, so that they are guaranteed to be scratch free, and if i were to buy them second hand i always get the disc repaired from GAME so that i don't end up getting angry if the game didn't work when i take it home. I always get the dis repaired because sometimes when i used to buy second hand games from shops, they said it worked when they tested the games, but when i got back home the games didn't work and it really annoyed me >.<.

For me it depends on the game, I know that some of the games that wanted to play are old and hard to find unless it's used. That's how I got Explorers of Time. But if I see a new game and I have the money I will get it new if I can.

But I think used games are unique because sometimes they aren't erased and you get to see where the previous owner left off.

Depends on the financial situation at the time. If I have enough to buy it new, then I'll probably buy it new. But if the game has been out for a few months and I still haven't gotten it then I'll probably get it pre owned at a cheaper price, since I'll probably have wasted some cash on something else. Plus saving money is a good thing, pre owned is my buying a game late option.

Most of the time I'll get a new game, mostly because I want the money to go to the publisher and dev of the game. Only the store makes money out of the used games. I also preferred New games for the PIN for Club Nintendo but... this isn't true anymore eh.

I'll get the used version when I can't get the new one anymore, or can't find it.

I usually buy the new games because there could be a trace of the other person on the game or the cartrage is all messed up. Besides, would you rather get a new game for about 10 dollars more then a game that someone else has used.

It depends, if I buy old games then I buy them pre-owned but if I have an urge to buy a recently-released game then I buy them new (usually digital, sometimes I just got too excited).
Pre-owned games are usually much cheaper, but is not really an option for new games :(

Unless its an old game (2005 and below) I buy it new unless it's ridiculously cheap or rare sealed or something like Xenoblade

Amazon is a good place to get new DS games tbh, Kirby Mass Attack is like $13 new on there

If it is cartrige based then i will buy it used due to the fact it would still work very well. If it is disc based it would have to depend on were it is coming from and if they have a guarentee on wether i would get it used. I have bought both many times, but i tend to go for used to save money.

I try to buy new games as much as possible but I'm fine with getting pre-owned ones as well since they come cheaper that way sometimes. I got my MH3U copy that way a year ago ahahaha

Back