Animal Crossing: New Horizons Nintendo Direct

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
It's finally here. The Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct we've all been waiting for :pepe:
Nintendo of America said:
Tune in on February 20 at 6 a.m. PT / 9 a.m ET for a roughly 25-minute livestreamed #AnimalCrossing: New Horizons Direct, featuring an in-depth look at Nook Inc.’s Deserted Island Getaway Package!
ERFw7S7VAAAFi62
What do you think it'll be about and what are you hoping for from it? :eyes:

Reactions: Mizunil, Deepak and Alex
It's on my day off so I can actually watch it live. What a stroke of luck :thumbsup:

Reactions: Marc
It's on my day off so I can actually watch it live. What a stroke of luck :thumbsup:
My bad luck is your good luck cause I'd probably be busy on the day :p

featuring an in-depth look at Nook Inc.’s Deserted Island Getaway Package!

The more I hear this, the more terrified I get. I don't like how "DLC'y" it sounds. I know I'm just expecting the worse, the bar can only be raised, can't be lowered.

I just want some kind of peace on how the game is going to function in terms of mtx and DLCs. Hopefully, they would have been following the thing coming from the rating "issue" and might have a response?

I'd like to see more about potential new villagers maybe, new items, new mechanics, new NPCs? Some new shops might be neat. Honestly, I just want to see any and all new content. 25 mins is a bloody huge amount of time so I'm expecting a good chunk of info. And I swear I will scream if it's for another delay.

Im soo excited!! the treehouse was 24 minutes. This is 1 minute longer. I really want to see the shops and stuff. I also want to see a town with the basic shops unlocked and stuff. nothing too much of a spoiler but just confirming returning feature and afew new features. more information on crafting wouldnt hurt. and the new tools could be fully explained.

I want new villager species, shops/shopkeepers, new things to collect for the museum, and cool ways to customize your island. I kind of want to go into the game blind, but a solid month between this and release means I’ll be seeing a ton of outlets spoiling details anyway so I don’t think it’s realistic for me.

i seems that leaks were true, after this one we should get the "general" direct
its good we get these "one game directs" because that means than even if someone doesnt care about those games, the general direct will have time for other games

And I swear I will scream if it's for another delay.
Stuff has been released during directs before. I'm expecting maybe some DLC for a later date or some Amiibo functionality. I feel like we've already seen what needs to be heard of before release. Already, the plot can only be so linear. Online features may be interesting as always. It still stands though this isn't my kind of game.

A new trailer (presumably to be shown during the direct tomorrow):

BROOM. SWEEP LEAVES. AAAA

OMG RAINBOW SWEATER
stacking bugs
keeping bugs outside
able sisters shop
apple furniture
wreaths on doors

LEAVES AND BROOMS

wait omg is that custom patterns???? That's so detailed!!!
FENCES HOW DID I MISS THAT
AND GARDEN FURNATURE

WOW. The direct was AMAZING. So much new information. It was perfect. some of the main new features:
The airport looks super good.You have 4 maps to choose from in the beginning AND, you use the airport to send letters to villagers.you get a broadcast every morning about the day and special events. you reserve areas for future villagers so your town isnt messed up. crafting can be used to customize your furniture even more by changing the colour and stuff with a new material: paint. the museum is just the best and you can place fossils and stuff outside. nook and cranny is confirmed. you can buy stuff that are not craftable. able sisters are also confirmed. new tool: ladder. the ladder is used to climb up cliffs before unlocking the ramp. the wand returns but it actually has a use. it is used for changing your clothes fast i guess? the clothing menu is so much more easier now. instead of it being an item, it has a seperate menu so you can carry all your clothing i think? backpacks are also part of the clothing but they arent shown in the direct. thers a new app. its some rescue service. it is used to bring u back to your home if your'e "lost" on your island. i think it will be run by resetti as he's unemployed. there will be free updates for the holidays (easter, christmas, thanksgiving etc...). so on the first year of playing the game you will have to update the game during those holidays cuz they still haven't fully developed them yet probably. this means that time travelling is 100% impossible. the nook miles can be used to get exclusive stuff like clothing and some furniture. OR, it can be used to buy some useful stuff at the nook stop. You can buy the designer app and some tips and guides on stuff like the tools. you also can get tool recipes. You can even buy these things called nook mile tickets. you can use these tickets by giving them to the dodo (orville). You get mystery island tours. these tours aren't like the ones in new leaf with the minigames. Instead they take you to islanda with fruit fish and bugs and materials. these can be fruits that are not native to your island or plants you dont have. these island tours are really useful for collecting extra materials for crafting. another feature of these islands is that you can meet new villagers that are not in yor town. you canin vite them to your town. there are many returning features such as the bees and scorpion sting and wisp the ghost returns. gulliver also comes back. some bad news is that for chatting, you have to use the nintendo online app.(dang). morning aerobics makes a return. after upgrading the resident center isabelle appears(yay!). and new characters will come and set up their stores like in new leaf (katrina, redd).another new app is nook shopping. its probably used for ordering stuff through the phone. and one of the coolest parts: the island designer app. it unlocks after your town is developed enough. It lets you truly customize the land features of your town. you can remove land and add land like in minecraft. you can add land over water and the paths are laid through this app. these are the waterscaping and cliff scaping features. Harvey's island is shown in the cover art with a camera sign hanging. this is used for photoshoots with friends and villagers. its like a theatre are where you can set up the background and the props like in a play. you invite villagers (and possibly friends) over and you can arrange photoshoots. Some bad news: dlc is coming. You can subscribe to some program to get regular special items in both games. Thankfully its just new furniture and it's not too drastic that without dlc you're missing out on a lot. Its coming for both pocket camp and new horizons.This is all the new information I could catch. Did you see something I missed?
FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN"T SEEN IT YET:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gram
Where did it mention a subscription program? All I saw was a blurb about a “special offer” involving Pocket Camp. I took that to mean it would be a cross-promotion event between the two games, which usually involves free stuff to get people interested in those games.

Reactions: 28142
Where did it mention a subscription program? All I saw was a blurb about a “special offer” involving Pocket Camp. I took that to mean it would be a cross-promotion event between the two games, which usually involves free stuff to get people interested in those games.

No paid DLC or expansions where mentioned, not sure where he got the subscription thing from. Only free updates (seasonal events) were talked about. You're correct about pocket camp, there's going to be cross-promotion between them with some exclusive items. Don't know what the items are, but yeah. Not paid.
A lot in that post above has things missing/not fully correct. I might try and compile a comprehensive list of everything in the direct at some point, but it's a lot of information :p

Reactions: Gram
No paid DLC or expansions where mentioned, not sure where he got the subscription thing from. Only free updates (seasonal events) were talked about. You're correct about pocket camp, there's going to be cross-promotion between them with some exclusive items. Don't know what the items are, but yeah. Not paid.
A lot in that post above has things missing/not fully correct. I might try and compile a comprehensive list of everything in the direct at some point, but it's a lot of information :p
They said "special offer" for special items in each game. So I assumed it would be some sort of dlc. And they updated the official animal crossing website and the rating includes "in game purchases" again so dlc is coming. Since they didn't reveal any more information about the "special offer" and the details would be later revealed, I assumed it would have to be some dlc.

It very well might be dlc, but it is a mystery at this point.

In Pocket Camp’s case, you can see in the screenshot special versions of the Nook characters, and special characters always cost premium currency in that game. So if they continue that trend into New Horizons...well, I really hope they don’t. Lots of cool items will be put behind a paywall in that case, but I highly doubt they’d put that kind of mobile model onto a flagship release. I would be shocked if they didn’t charge for the mobile game characters though. Looking at the screenshot, all 3 are standing in front of a piece of furniture, which is how PC always has their special characters: you decorate with that piece of furniture and the special character stands by or operates it.

Attachments

• 549F8283-A465-4A06-8FB4-3186D89DC28D.jpeg
    549F8283-A465-4A06-8FB4-3186D89DC28D.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 4008DDE8-91C5-436A-8672-676FC8D7DC42.jpeg
    4008DDE8-91C5-436A-8672-676FC8D7DC42.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Deepak
It very well might be dlc, but it is a mystery at this point.

In Pocket Camp’s case, you can see in the screenshot special versions of the Nook characters, and special characters always cost premium currency in that game. So if they continue that trend into New Horizons...well, I really hope they don’t. Lots of cool items will be put behind a paywall in that case, but I highly doubt they’d put that kind of mobile model onto a flagship release. I would be shocked if they didn’t charge for the mobile game characters though. Looking at the screenshot, all 3 are standing in front of a piece of furniture, which is how PC always has their special characters: you decorate with that piece of furniture and the special character stands by or operates it.
HOPEFULLY, the "maybe dlc" for new horizons is just new furniture because furniture doesn't interest me too much and i wont pay money for it. BUT, introduction of dlc will create problems for multiplayer. Can people without dlc play with people with dlc? cuz someone without dlc could get dlc furniture from a friend's town. this will split the animal crossing community into two. so lets hope for the best

HOPEFULLY, the "maybe dlc" for new horizons is just new furniture because furniture doesn't interest me too much and i wont pay money for it. BUT, introduction of dlc will create problems for multiplayer. Can people without dlc play with people with dlc? cuz someone without dlc could get dlc furniture from a friend's town. this will split the animal crossing community into two. so lets hope for the best

Could be you can see the furniture just fine, but it can’t be gifted to you. Like an untradeable/unsalable item in an MMO. DLC would likely be in the form of recipes, so you’d be able to craft as many of it as you want at the DIY bench. I can see how they’d do it, but under no circumstances do I want that to be the case. I see how much stuff is behind a paywall in Pocket Camp and it’s only really been tolerable because I don’t have any other AC alternative.

Can we just talk about how the holidays in this game are being disguised as/locked behind "Free Updates"?

Can we just talk about how the holidays in this game are being disguised as/locked behind "Free Updates"?
That's to discourage time travelling because some people time travel to holidays for special items. i the first year of the game, if yu time travel to the holiday, the holiday wont be acknowledged at all and so it will decrease the time travelling. OR it could be just that the animal crossing team have too much on their hands and need more time to develop the holidays.

• Informative
Reactions: Agentperson, ChewyPucc and 28142
That's to discourage time travelling because some people time travel to holidays for special items. i the first year of the game, if yu time travel to the holiday, the holiday wont be acknowledged at all and so it will decrease the time travelling. OR it could be just that the animal crossing team have too much on their hands and need more time to develop the holidays.

It'll be to stop time travelling, not the worst idea tbh.

Back