any one got a free copy of Windows 10?

• Thread starter wyll001
  • Start date
For someweird reason, I never got the Windows 10 update, but I have Win 7 at the moment, so I don't really mind. In my opinion, Win 7 is a bit better as it's lighter on the system. Regardless, if I get an update for Win 10, I'll install it. Now, about the Windows 9 thing you all seem to make a fuss over, I am pretty sure you are all at a grade at school that's at least higher than first grade, so how can you not count to 10? Windows 8.1 is NOT an update to Windows 8, it's it's own separate Operating System and that holds the number nine in the production line! It's a complete rebuild of Win 8, since there were too many bugs to fix just with a few updates! The reason it's not called Win 9, is that it's identical to Win 8, but not in the sense of being a copy!

I got my Windows 10 operating system the day I purchased my laptop. It came with 8.1, which wasn't very navigable for me because, although my laptop is nice, it lacks a touch-screen.
You could just have installed Classic Shell. It skips that stupid tiled interface at boot, adds a Start menu and makes Windows 8(.1) as usable as a Windows 7, even without a touchscreen. And it does other things but that's not relevant to the topic.

And for those who still wonder why it's 10 and not 9, it's (iirc) because they have a string in their code that checks if the version starts with 9 and deduces that it's either 95 or 98... but Windows 9 would be neither of those so it would be annoying, let's just skip it.

I have Windows 10 as an update from Windows 8. So far, it's working well.

Still, I wonder if my GPU is too powerful. Every time I run a video via VLC and web-surf via Firefox or any other graphic-intense program, it stops the PC. I know it's the GPU because of the LID it has (mine is a Sapphire Vapor-x R9 280x). I think I may need a powerful AMD CPU (FX-8350 8-core), because I wouldn't think about downgrading my GPU. I wonder if I could update my monitor (it's an old ACER P201W). Well, what do you think?

It just adds Cortana, a windows store, and it makes it more like the windows phone software design.

I didn't get it for free, but I did get a good deal on it. Although not really recommended if you're trying to play older games on it since often at times there are some noticeable graphical bugs.

Back