Anyone Struggling with Motivation to Create Art?

• Thread starter DarkXorius
  • Start date

Do you actually like your drawings?

• Of Course! They're my children

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • no...not really

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DarkXorius

DarkXorius

One without a Heart
Towns Folk
For the artists or beginners here, are you guys constantly at a halt and become discouraged when drawing.
Recently I've been trying to get details about drawing outfits, specifically dresses. I feel so bad leaving a page blank or unfinished(as if there was anything to start with) I used to have a Deviantart account, but I found it pointless since I can't draw anymore. I don't even like my art. :(

Now, I can't say I've felt this with drawings I've done, but I can say I've felt this somewhat with writing stories. I'll have an ongoing series, but lose motivation after about halfway through it, then I just grow bored and never finish it.

Reactions: 2179 and 3823
I really like to draw a lot on a constant basis while just bored at school. I myself just draw simple characters and not anything too complex but I still like it anyways. It is really hard for me to learn different style techniques or draw certain parts correctly but still I am proud of what I do :D

You should always practice more and more and don't let yourself down ^-^ Maintaining an active DeviantArt account is probably tough and all but what's more important is how you like your art and express it the way you intend to :3

Have you seen my artworks? I cannot tell if I'm good, considering it's not viral or grabbing attention. I can't tell if it worth making another artwork. I couldn't tell if I do have talent. At least some people here are caring. Are they telling the truth? I wouldn't know considering I am not making a living out of it even though I am suppose to.

For one thing, drawing is a visual expression of your perception on anything. You can't so much as "lose" the ability to draw, various metaphorical muscles just loosen up. With consistency, anyone can recapture their hobby, and even improve, in due time - motivation required.

Second, I had my account on DA bare for a long time. (Actually it's still kinda empty now that I look at it...) I get the whole feeling of unintentionally abandoning a fully-fleshed account. I kinda make putting stuff up on it my ultimate goal, so I have seen a little spike in drawing activity on my end.

Now to answer the first question, I do get a little intimidated by the drawings I want to create/finish one day. I can find a thousand issues I have in some of my better pieces. I even put off trying to fix some of the incomplete things I have on hand. (like my profile image over there.)
But I must continue to pursue my passion!
My style, however imperfect, is the only way I can communicate to the world. I may habitually avoid my profiles but I can never give up my drawings.

Reactions: Livada
What's really weird is that I go through many phases with my artwork. Some days I feel like I can't draw a single thing, and that no matter what I do it's not helping me improve. Other days I'm really proud of my drawings, and want to share them with the world. And my artwork isn't exactly viral either, lol. I post a few things here and there on Paigeeworld, since Deviantart is really hard for me to use. I just like Paigeeworld's simplicity. Anyways, I don't think the amount of people who view your art determines its worth and value. So keep drawing! :)

Reactions: MindzEye
I can't agree with anything on what's posted. I'm suppose to make a living using my talent, and yet, no one and no company wants to hire me. What's good of a creative person if a talent is not being used? What's good about a wasted talent?

I do not know if I can continue if no one believes I can make artworks or anything creative for a living. I live to entertain others with my talent. If I have no audience and no means to be paid for my HARD effort, what good would that do if I continue on?

I can't agree with anything on what's posted. I'm suppose to make a living using my talent, and yet, no one and no company wants to hire me. What's good of a creative person if a talent is not being used? What's good about a wasted talent?

I do not know if I can continue if no one believes I can make artworks or anything creative for a living. I live to entertain others with my talent. If I have no audience and no means to be paid for my HARD effort, what good would that do if I continue on?

Draw not for the sake of making a living, draw for the expression of existence. When you're genuine in your execution, when you can't help but to smile toward the fragment of a world you captured, when you put your one-hundred-and-ten percent on everything you do, I swear people will notice!
"Being completely honest won't get you as many friends, but it will always get you the right ones." -John Lennon.

I've seen your style. I can tell just from looking you take good care of every line you put in. Consistency will no doubt pay off in the long run.

Honestly, I'm in a bit of a art rut right now, but that's a good thing for me. Someone explained it to me like this.

"When you are going through an art block and nothing you can draw is good enough for you, that just means your critical eye has caught up to your art skills. Continue to draw a bit, and you will slowly get better. After a bit, you will go back into eeing that everything you draw is great. Relish in this time, draw a ton of stuff. Then of course, you'll be back where you started because your critical eye caught up again. It's a cycle and as long as you understand that it's just you being able to actually see the flaws in your work, you can use it to improve."

Right now I'm just at the improvement part of my cycle. It's a little frustrating but the explanation makes sense.

I love sketchdumps! It's like pen's answer to the stress-ball. I just open up a page of anything and draw what occurs in the moment. It seems to really help me on bad days.

Reactions: Chronal and Mikaya
It's been YEARS since the last time I really did draw. Each time I have a bit of motivation, get myself some nice pencils and paper, well along the way something comes up, I need to take care of that, and once I'm done, the motivation is gone.

I still do some sigs in photoshop but I wouldn't really call this "art"

There is this weird phenomenon that I don't know the name for I believe many artist share. While you are working on something it all great and the ideas just keep flowing. Then when you're done you look at it and suddenly you see al the little imperfections and you don't like your work any more. That happens to me a lot. The best solution is, weird enough, sharing your work with others. Because if loads of people point out the good stuff it'll be easier to focus on that. Try to see creating art as a proces of growing. Each time you practice, you get a little better. That always means that when your work is done you can do better (which is what bugs me) but it also allows you to keep going.

If you ever get an artblock (it's like a writersblock but with other arts), it's often because you're feeling pressure, either from other or from yourself. Try to just take a break and let the pressure slip away. Also, always have a pen and paper with you so you can doodle whenever you like. Inspiration often comes at weird moments!

Last but not least, if I try to draw something and it turns out horrible I write "Raw sketch" on it. XD That sounds stupid but that way I can keep a rough version of my first idea without hating it and then later after practising some new techniques I can try again.

For the artists or beginners here, are you guys constantly at a halt and become discouraged when drawing.
Recently I've been trying to get details about drawing outfits, specifically dresses. I feel so bad leaving a page blank or unfinished(as if there was anything to start with) I used to have a Deviantart account, but I found it pointless since I can't draw anymore. I don't even like my art. :(
why must this be true I hate this burden and I know i'm good the mind just doesn't want to believe it

Recently i fully dedicated myself to a drawing, i sat for atleast an hour drawing megaman.exe, it was not the next picasso by a long run, and im still polishing it up. But as a first work i thought it was good. I cant draw hair or hands at all, but i didnt give up. At school i practice my style and build upon it- though my drawings suck im still trying because i just like the feild- even if your bad dont give up, i went from drawing chubby stickfigures to megaman.

The short version of what i said- i suck at drawing, and even if you think you suck then still try to do it and improve;)

I'm in college right now to become an Art Major, but I've been drawing for a good part of my life and I can definitely say that I either lack motivation, inspiration, or usually both and I've had that most recently too. I want to do more art, and I want more stuff to put up on my redbubble....but I can't find the inspiration or motivation to do anything. I can't get any original ideas. I'm considering taking most of what I have down, not because I don't like my art, but because of a couple run ins with copyrighted works being taken down. So I want to do it out of respect. Original ideas are so hard!

I'm in college right now to become an Art Major, but I've been drawing for a good part of my life and I can definitely say that I either lack motivation, inspiration, or usually both and I've had that most recently too. I want to do more art, and I want more stuff to put up on my redbubble....but I can't find the inspiration or motivation to do anything. I can't get any original ideas. I'm considering taking most of what I have down, not because I don't like my art, but because of a couple run ins with copyrighted works being taken down. So I want to do it out of respect. Original ideas are so hard!
Make a list of things you want to draw. Every time you have an idea, however silly, write it down. That way at least you'll have inspiration. I find that once I get started on a drawing it's actually hard to stop. It's motivation to get started that's the hardest, but once yoou get in a flow you're set. Also, start carrying a little notebook around and doodle something every time you're bored. You can find a lot of inspiration in old doodles. ;)

Make a list of things you want to draw. Every time you have an idea, however silly, write it down. That way at least you'll have inspiration. I find that once I get started on a drawing it's actually hard to stop. It's motivation to get started that's the hardest, but once yoou get in a flow you're set. Also, start carrying a little notebook around and doodle something every time you're bored. You can find a lot of inspiration in old doodles. ;)
I do take my small sketchbook with me when I go out sometimes. I have ended up doodling a bunch of Undertale inspired children so I guess that's a start lol. And today when I was out eating, I noticed some of the decor in the restaraunt and got a bit of inspiration. There are also a lot of random characters I've drawn over the years, maybe I can look back on them for some redesigning and/or redrawing too.

I actually recently experienced this. Two months ago I started painting evening sea side of a town where I was when I was in college and I couldn't mix the right color of the sea and I became demotivated to even finish it. Two months later it's sitting in the same spot, waiting for me to feel motivated again :sorry:

I do take my small sketchbook with me when I go out sometimes. I have ended up doodling a bunch of Undertale inspired children so I guess that's a start lol. And today when I was out eating, I noticed some of the decor in the restaraunt and got a bit of inspiration. There are also a lot of random characters I've drawn over the years, maybe I can look back on them for some redesigning and/or redrawing too.
I had this one character I'd draw variations on. That way I could practice poses and textures without having to thing about the subject. Problem is, it was female and now I'm having a hard time drawing manly males. xD Redrawing can be a lot of fun though, if you make one I'd love to see it! :D

I actually recently experienced this. Two months ago I started painting evening sea side of a town where I was when I was in college and I couldn't mix the right color of the sea and I became demotivated to even finish it. Two months later it's sitting in the same spot, waiting for me to feel motivated again :sorry:
Why not try layers of *almost* the right colour? If one is too dark and the other too light and you apply them very lightly it should work. ;)

I had this one character I'd draw variations on. That way I could practice poses and textures without having to thing about the subject. Problem is, it was female and now I'm having a hard time drawing manly males. xD Redrawing can be a lot of fun though, if you make one I'd love to see it! :D
I had something like that months ago: one character, multiple variations, female...
tag_along_terry_concepts_by_big_uncle_v-d9jrapx.jpg

...Anyway, What I did was draw all sorts of things the first two tries, and the things I liked better, I altered slightly in the third and forth times. The forth in this case, being what I consider the finished product. (Go for more than four, guys! Do as many as you can until you find something just right!)
So how do ya like my Terrible monster, Terry?
http://big-uncle-v.deviantart.com/art/Tag-Along-Terry-Concepts-577381893?q=gallery:Big-Uncle-V/53034986&qo=11

Back