Anyone Struggling with Motivation to Create Art?

• Thread starter DarkXorius
  • Start date

Do you actually like your drawings?

• Of Course! They're my children

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • no...not really

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why not try layers of *almost* the right colour? If one is too dark and the other too light and you apply them very lightly it should work. ;)
I would like to try that, the only problem is oil paint takes forever to dry, sometimes I have to wait for weeks till its completely dry and I don't have that much time (academy entry exam is almost around the corner) >.<

I would like to try that, the only problem is oil paint takes forever to dry, sometimes I have to wait for weeks till its completely dry and I don't have that much time (academy entry exam is almost around the corner) >.<
I'm way too impatient so I tend to use acrylic paint or very thick layers of watercolour. :p I guess in that case you'll just have to keep trying?

I'm way too impatient so I tend to use acrylic paint or very thick layers of watercolour. :p I guess in that case you'll just have to keep trying?
I don't like when colors dry too quick because I'm rather slow when painting and adding shadows and stuff. Well, I guess I can try adding layers like you said but while it dries in the meantime I can work on another one o_O

I don't like when colors dry too quick because I'm rather slow when painting and adding shadows and stuff. Well, I guess I can try adding layers like you said but while it dries in the meantime I can work on another one o_O
:p

I'd love to learn oil painting though, but I have only a small kit of oil paint and I don't want to waste it.

:p

I'd love to learn oil painting though, but I have only a small kit of oil paint and I don't want to waste it.
It's not that hard I guess, but then again I learned in school about and paint with it until this day onward. Sometimes it can be hard and frustrating to get a specific color but since oil dries slowly you can lay it down and try again later (that's what I like the most about it). And I guess it's worth mentioning that depending on the oil you use, the oil color can dry a little faster or slower. I had notes somewhere about that but it seems I put them in the attic with the rest of the school stuff ;-;

It's not that hard I guess, but then again I learned in school about and paint with it until this day onward. Sometimes it can be hard and frustrating to get a specific color but since oil dries slowly you can lay it down and try again later (that's what I like the most about it). And I guess it's worth mentioning that depending on the oil you use, the oil color can dry a little faster or slower. I had notes somewhere about that but it seems I put them in the attic with the rest of the school stuff ;-;
I'm mostly self-taught. In school they told me; here's supplies, this is the assignment: Good luck and good riddance. Besides, we did a lot installations (different techniques in one artwork, for example sculpting and painting and music). The focus was much more on the idea and much less on technique, which was greta but it also means i have a lot to learn. :p So that's on my to-do list... along with an anatomical correct skeleton, a wolf and an octopus mermaid.

I'm mostly self-taught. In school they told me; here's supplies, this is the assignment: Good luck and good riddance. Besides, we did a lot installations (different techniques in one artwork, for example sculpting and painting and music). The focus was much more on the idea and much less on technique, which was greta but it also means i have a lot to learn. :p So that's on my to-do list... along with an anatomical correct skeleton, a wolf and an octopus mermaid.
My professor was almost the same. I say almost because he would help us do things but wouldn't explain why are we doing it so I do know the whole process of preparing the canvas but if someone asked me why am I doing something, I have no idea why :confused:

There is this weird phenomenon that I don't know the name for I believe many artist share. While you are working on something it all great and the ideas just keep flowing. Then when you're done you look at it and suddenly you see al the little imperfections and you don't like your work any more. That happens to me a lot. The best solution is, weird enough, sharing your work with others. Because if loads of people point out the good stuff it'll be easier to focus on that. Try to see creating art as a proces of growing. Each time you practice, you get a little better. That always means that when your work is done you can do better (which is what bugs me) but it also allows you to keep going.

If you ever get an artblock (it's like a writersblock but with other arts), it's often because you're feeling pressure, either from other or from yourself. Try to just take a break and let the pressure slip away. Also, always have a pen and paper with you so you can doodle whenever you like. Inspiration often comes at weird moments!

Last but not least, if I try to draw something and it turns out horrible I write "Raw sketch" on it. XD That sounds stupid but that way I can keep a rough version of my first idea without hating it and then later after practising some new techniques I can try again.

That happened to me in the latest pic i draw, I'm finishing the final outlines, and then I noticed, the arm look a bit off. But I say to my self "scratch it, it's not that important" and ignore it, I slowly progressing until its turn into
OtlrcM5l.jpg

The arm still look off for me, but the pic look great, if I abandoned this at that time, I'd miss my own little masterpiece.

When you doesn't know what to do, you didn't have to do anything. It'll come to you sooner or later.

Reactions: MindzEye
That happened to me in the latest pic i draw, I'm finishing the final outlines, and then I noticed, the arm look a bit off. But I say to my self "scratch it, it's not that important" and ignore it, I slowly progressing until its turn into
OtlrcM5l.jpg

The arm still look off for me, but the pic look great, if I abandoned this at that time, I'd miss my own little masterpiece.

When you doesn't know what to do, you didn't have to do anything. It'll come to you sooner or later.
Somehow it doesn't work for me: I post something I really worked hard on, working through the mistakes or problems my picky eyes usually see, and it falls flat. Nobody says a thing when I post it, and I got earnest followings. Now that is a motivation-killer if you ask me. Ever felt that or know how to work through it?

Back