Are mario and wario related?

• Thread starter Fred1736
  • Start date
F

Fred1736

New Kid on the Block
Towns Folk
I know they have rhyming names just like luigi and waluigi. Are they related and if so what relation is it (brother, cousin)?

Reactions: Harvesttech12
I've looked this up, and according to a letter in Nintendo Power at the time Mario Kart 64 was coming out they are cousins. I always thought they were sort of evil twins or something, but unrelated (if that makes sense). Cousins, eh? Well, it's a lot less hurtful than them being brothers and fighting each other. :panda:

I read something that says that Nintendo Power confirmed that Wario is Mario and Luigi's cousin... Waluigi is apparently not related to any of them....However, I also read that Wario and Waluigi, are Mario and Lugi's half brothers, Wario and Waluigi having a different father...And last but not least I've read they are just alter egos..You know good twin, evil twin. Lol so your guess is as good as mine.

I think there are like their enemies and sometimes opposite not full though.Basically i think nintendo made them because for a time the mario and luigi thing started to get unpopular and just decided to bring something out new so it went back to business.

Hmm, not sure about that one. From what I read, Wario and Mario were childhood friends, but Wario got angered by the way Mario treated them as kids. This led to the game, Super Mario Land 2, where Wario takes over Marios castle, and Mario has to beat 6 bosses and get back to his castle. Waluigi has no relation to Wario, or the Mario Bros.

According to my gaming knowledge, Wario and Waluigi are brothers, and cousins of Mario and Luigi.

Well, in fact, it's just an excuse for Nintendo to create an "evil Mario" and "evil Luigi", as they always tend to create evil versions of the heroes, like Dark Link, Dark Pit, Star Wolf, Princess Hilda, MetaKnight (yes, I consider him an evil-Kirby) and Mega Charizard X...
lol, the last was a joke :p

actually wario and waluigi arent brother. well they are brothers in crime. how do i know. play mario and sonic 2012 olypic games at london. they have a quiz that asks if wario and waluigi are brothers. the awnser is no, but they are brothers in crime

waluigi debuted as warios partner in mario tenis for n64. and ever since then theyve been brothers in crime. but wario dosent hold a grudge on mario. instead hes just being a thief who happens to steal stuff mario dosent want him to. like in the game warios woods, its one of warios standalone games, but its not mario thats after him. wario stole something from toad and toad had to get it back. even the game where wario put the bucket on marios head and mario couldent get it off for some reason. wario has no grudge against mario. hes just being the greedy crook he is.

and wario was supposed to be a evil version of mario. waluigi just came from being a tennis partner with wario. so but since waluigi started to become popular they decided to keep him

Last edited by a moderator:
Wario's name in Japanese means "evil Mario" and Waluigi means "evil Luigi" (At least from what i've heard on YouTube)
but it's confirmed that they're cousins in Nintendo Power. That also confirms that Mario/Luigi had parents with a sister or brother. (Aunt or Uncle):)

i thought mario and luigi were orphans. since thier names are mario mario, and luigi mario. since thier called the mario brothers, mario is thier last name. so marios full name is mario mario, and luigis full name is luigi mario. i mean you can argue, but why else would they be called the mario brothers

and wario is most likely marios cousin. but waluigi is still not related to wario in any way other then being a crime partner.

Last edited by a moderator:
id say evil twins wario drive's a motercycile mario probaly drives a van or somthing like that and so i think there evil twins but i was wrong cosin's really i did not beleavie it.
wow just wao hoo wood of thougt that.

I remember reading somewhere that they are cousins, and that Waluigi wasn't related to them (or something like that).

Well Wario is said to be Mario´s cousin in Super Mario Lnd 2,if I remember right
It might also be like Dark Link,Dark Samus etc.......... just be a lame evil copy
Also Waluigi isnt related to Mario and Luigi

I have always wondered at that question when they first came out and released . It is a very interesting thing to talk about so yeah I guess they are cousins since you know , researching and all . it is quite Nintendo's prediction that they always make some sort of bad vesion of a main protagonist and main character . Like Dark Link and Dark Pit and Dark Samus . I guess that it wouldn't sound so right if there was dark mario so I guess they flipped the " M " and got " W " :)

@Jacknoir12 we don't have Dark Mario but we have Metal Mario :p

In the sports games, he is like an evil version of Mario too, with that freaking voice and all...

They're long lost cousins of course, and they have been reunited once more, although it's always a rivalry between them both. xD

the fact that both names rhyme with each other kinda gives it away that they're both related. :p

thier not really rivals. like wario dosent just go around trying to pick on mario. warios not per say a dark link to link. hes just an ordinary crook, and isnt really evil. like i cant remember the last time him and wario got into a fight. i do know warios has starred in a bunch of games about him saving people. like wario shake it, or wario land on the gamecube. so in a way he tecnicaly is like mario. exept for him to help you you need to pay him.

I thought the origin of Wario had to do something with a bucket. At least, that's what I've heard (from a non-credible source). I also thought Wario and Waluigi were alter-egos to Mario and Luigi. Wario being a cousin of the Mario Brothers feels somewhat unnerving to me. I'd have to look into this more. :/

wario is probably a cousin. waluigi not. it said so in mario and sonic 2012 olympic games quiz. but ya wario started out in mario land 2 i think. and later on they made the game mario and wario where wario put a bucket on marios head and he couldent get it off

Well, I don`t really know, but as spinner said, I always thought that Wario was Mario`s evil twin, and that Waluigi was Luigi`s. Wario has been kind of a minor villain to Mario (With Bowser being his main villain), but he hasn`t been in a Mario game other than Mario kart, Mario party and other SM spin-ofs. It would be cool to have him back as Mario`s "Alter ego".

well ya i agree, well unless you count the remake of super mario 64 for ds. but i dont. and waluigi was originaly made to be like luigis evil twin. as a partner for wario in mario tennis 64, so waluigi was like an acidental charecter. but i wander why waluigi never makes an appearence anymore. ither then mario kart of mario party

Back