Are mario and wario related?

• Thread starter Fred1736
  • Start date
Wario and Mario are supposed to be cousins, but they don't like each other

I have always thought they were stepbrothers or something xD I knew they were polar opposites, so it made sense to me, but I suppose cousins makes sense too.

A highly potential inspiration for Wario first appeared in the 1985 game Wrecking Crew in the character of Spike, a construction foreman.[1] Although he bears a slight resemblance to Spike, Wario did not debut until 1992. The first named appearance of the character occurred in the game Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. He was designed by game artist Hiroji Kiyotake.[2] Wario's design arose from Super Mario Land's design team's distaste of making a game based around someone else's character. The creation of Wario allowed them a character of their own to "symbolize their situation".[1]

Wario is portrayed as an exaggerated version of Mario; he has huge, muscular arms, a large moustache, and a bellicose cackle.[3] The name "Wario" is a portmanteau of "Mario" with the Japanese adjective warui (悪い?) meaning "bad"; hence, a "bad Mario" (further symbolized by the "W" on his hat, an upside down "M").[4] Official Nintendo lore states that Wario was a childhood rival to Mario and Luigi who became jealous of their success.[5] Voice actor Charles Martinet, who has voiced Mario since 1995, is also the voice for Wario. During the audition for the part, Martinet was told to speak in a mean and gruff-sounding tone. He described voicing Wario as a looser task than voicing Mario, since Mario's speaking manner and personality are more free-flowing, rising from the ground and floating into the air, while one of Wario's cornerstones is self-pity.[6] Starting with Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, Wario experiences rejuvenating effects from garlic in a similar manner as Mario is powered up by mushrooms. Wario oft

n uses bombs, as seen in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, Wario Blast and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. The WarioWare series prominently uses bombs as a visual motif to represent the time limit.

In video games in which Wario makes a cameo appearance, he is often portrayed as a villain. However, the development team for Wario Land: Shake It! stated that he was not really a villain, and they did not consider him one during development. They focused on his behavior, which alternates between good and evil.[7] Etsunobu Ebisu, a producer of The Shake Dimension, considered Wario to be a reckless character, who uses his strength to overwhelm others. Tadanori Tsukawaki, the design director of The Shake Dimension, described Wario as manly, and said he was "so uncool that he ends up being extremely cool". Because of this, he wanted Wario to act macho rather than silly and requested that the art designers emphasize his masculinity.[8] Wario was chosen as the star of the WarioWare series because the developers felt he was the best character for the franchise because he often acted stupid.[9]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Wario was some kind of clone gone wrong. (friend told me that)
He's been wrong more then Right though >.>

I think they're cousins or not related, no way they're brothers

Reactions: Ninja-Patty
I theorize that they are cousins. This is something google can(maybe) answer. Ah, the power of researching stuff on the internet...

wario and mario are cousins. but waluigi isnt related to any of them. that simple

No, they are not related. Mario just happen to be Mario's rival. Since Mario is more of a good person, while Wario has a greedy and grumpy personality. They are just basically alter egos of each other. Like Luigi being the timid one and Luigi being the boastful one.

Mario and Wario are definitely cousins, confrimed by Nintendo and Wario and Waluigi are brothers :p

Like everybody else, I had always thought they were evil twins or from a parallel universe or something. those two need more appearences in games though, and reveal more than their past :p

I know they have rhyming names just like luigi and waluigi. Are they related and if so what relation is it (brother, cousin)?
Mario and Wario are cousins, Luigi and Waluigi are not, Wario Likes Gold, Waluigi likes trolling with sports, Luigi likes Daisy and Mario likes mushrooms and Peach. Not sure which game started telling that there cousins, but i think is MK64 that tells that.

Yes, nintendo has stated on many occasions that they are definetly cousins. Sometimes they downplay this statement and make them seem like nothing more than bitter enemies, but they have stated more times than I can count that they are cousins, the hero and the antihero, the selfless and the selfish, the good and, well, ugly. But despite al, this, they are cousins. No doubt about it. I mean, come on, they have literally the same name, just with a W instead of an M. That's it folks. The final answer. Done.

It was a fan theory that Wario as an evil clone of Mario in some German comic. But there is some relation between them of course. Wario stole Mario's castle. Wario was made by R&D1 and Mario was made by Miyamoto and his crew and Wario was made to be Mario gone wrong and making fun of Mario. Sure they may be cousins but unless there is canon supporting it I will consider Wario a clone.

Cousin's are the confirmed relation according to nintendo power which is cool, but I always thought they were just rivals and unrelated. And if related, evil twins. But as cousins you can expect them to be karting and partying with them, and even playing sports tournaments with them.

I always thought that Mario and Wario were like cousins, but opposite. Mario and Wario work since M is an inverted W, and Mario is skinnier while Wario is fatter (not making fun of fat or skinny people) Mario goes to rescue the princess while Wario goes to look for money and a fortune.

I think they may be cousins, though I can not make claims. I think they are not related in a way, its just a coincidence that they have the same type of suits and names. I think Wario is trying to steal Mario's fame (though it fails) and then gets desperate for the money. His brother helps him out and they try their best to get fame. I think they are not cousins, but rather them trying to get fame

I was so curious about that. I mean Wario looks like Mario's evil twin. But if there related? Well I'm not entirely sure about that. A lot people think he's cousins with Mario but I'm not sure if that's true. There is no proof if there related at all. But if they were related, that would be so shocking. Anyways maybe the answer will come out soon you know...but until then I don't know if Mario and Wario related.

Back