Are older games harder?

• Thread starter Kakea
  • Start date

What do you remember having fun playing more?

• Total voters
8/16-bit or 32/64-bit games...

I'll pick 8/16-bit, despite the fact my most-played console is 64-bit (PS2).

I do not think older games are harder, but they are for sure better made then some of the new ones. Lets compare Mario Party 64 To Mario Party Island Tour. To me, Mario Party 64 was way better made and the minigames were sooo much better! I think some older games are harder than newer games, but it is not always that way. All hail the old games!

If you play through easily the it must be only the technical limitations that made them harder then...

Not ALL of them are hard, but ones like Ninja Gaiden, Ghost n Goblins, Castlevania 1 and 3, Megaman in general and a lot of others are just relentlessly hard, some are just hard because of bad control so I can't judge them all.

It's safe to say Ninja Gaiden and Ghost n Goblins were though:The giant hawks that hit in gaiden were horrible and I heard the 3rd game was harder then the first 2(I havn't played Ninja gaiden 2 in years)and I saw Ghost n Goblins literary restarts and tells you the game was a illusion and makes you play for real(emphasis on real life since it was hard mode!)

In my experience yes, but there's a few exceptions like how Donkey Kong Country Returns is much harder than the original Donkey Kong Country series.

Reactions: Kakea
Yeah...Super Smash Bros was not as hard before then in melee/Brawlnthey added Crazy hand then Super Smash 3DS has Master core!!!? Which hurts you everyway it can!(Though susposedly you can skip it hitting them evenly)

Still can't beat Contra on the NES

I do feel like older games are somewhat harder, because I think I became smarter from the years of experience I've had in gaming.

I remember I would be stuck in countless dungeons in Zelda for days, but in a Link Between Worlds, I figured out everything pretty easily, and only struggled in 1 or two spots. This goes for other games too.

Some newer games are hard as heck though. I give up really easily because of my attention span. I sometimes Regret it, and try to play it back, only to give up on them again.

Yes for some for me but it depends on the game you're playing like megaman for Gameboy can't remember its name but it was very hard and yes some pokemon games were a bit longer and harder.

For when I played Zelda I couldn't find 2nd dungeon or finish the game til I played it on Collectors edition(I used Zelda Universe to help)and I finally could finish the game(Without skipping anything:before if I found the 2nd dungeon I still couldn't find the Almight key)

I finished Pokemon yellow EASILY when I first played (My pikachu was the BEST!) but after I played Black which was easier in some ways I couldn't level up my Pikachu or my team right and couldn't even get past the first Elite 4 member...I got used to how the newer game was and I couldn't even finish the first pokemon game thanks to playing the newer game and being able to use alot more potion heal ect.
where on the first I never used ANY potions except on the elite 4 and even then I had my team perfect I only used potions,I was used to training differently then I was better trainer when I was playing that!

After my relization in my last comment yeah:without any help they ARE harder and make you play differently!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do older games seem harder than games now to you are is it only because there couldn't save how far you finished some of them?
Yes older games are hard to beat

Without save points older games are hard to beat

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say yes they are harder but not on purpose. Older ha,especially are just that, older, so they lacked certain mechanics and design to be easy. Technology limited them so you couldn't have saving or a tutorial level. I think this made these games a little more fun. Just being put into an unknown world is a little bit cooler than the game holding your hand the whole time.

I think that the old games are a lot more harder than the new ones . I'd say this basically from experience on how some games play mechanics from series like Zelda and Pokemon have changed . Not that I really don't like easy , but I really like going up for a challenge , so the old games were definitely harder :p

They are, I've played Ultimate NES Remix, and replayed older games and punch out(the ONLY NES game I haven't played on the remix list! :D ) and some of the challenges were HARD!!!: if I couldn't restart and keep trying that particular part over and over I wouldn't be able be easily finish the game(s) Technically I DID finish MOST of the games before, with one or two I've never got a chance to play (again) Punch-out and Donkey Kong Jr being the 2 I barely got a chance to play)

New games honestly can be hard but I just don't think it'd as common as it was per say back in the NES or Genesis days, seems kinda dumbed down for the new demographic to me if that makes sense

I think that the older games were harder. Zelda 1 is much harder than ALBW(easiest zelda game). Nowadays, people can use th internet to figure everything out, not to mention all the in-game hints that are given for no good reason other than to make them easier for the little kids who "earned" the money to buy the games by asking their parents for the money or doing chores that they should have to do anyway, to pull their weight. In conclusion, the newer games, and even remakes of old games, were made to be easier.

Old games were made to be harder in order to keep the player playing. Games on the NES were designed to be extremely hard in order to make the game last a long time. How did they do it? With some cheap difficulty. Games like Castlevania, Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden have a factor that when you get hit, you get knocked back, sometimes leading you into a pitfall. Yet these games are still good.

I would say they were harder only because back then we didn't have the tech to help us get through a level like Walkthrough sites or gaming sites for tips. We had to goof around some or learn from our mistakes.

Which honestly is the most fun way to play.

F
I would say they were harder only because back then we didn't have the tech to help us get through a level like Walkthrough sites or gaming sites for tips. We had to goof around some or learn from our mistakes.

Which honestly is the most fun way to play.
For real! I hate when they SNATCH every control away and tell in small parts HOW TO PLAY THE GAME!!!:YOU WOULD PROBABLY FIND OUT HOW FROM PRESSING BUTTONS!!!! Sorry I got mad at MANY games I bought or watched others play...

F

For real! I hate when they SNATCH every control away and tell in small parts HOW TO PLAY THE GAME!!!:YOU WOULD PROBABLY FIND OUT HOW FROM PRESSING BUTTONS!!!! Sorry I got mad at MANY games I bought or watched others play...

I know how you feel, it takes all the fun away in gaming. That's why I avoid the gaming channels on YouTube or sites.

Back