Homebrew Are you going to use a custom theme ?

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date

Custom Themes: Will you get one ?

• I have one or I'll get one.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I'm not interested in Custom Themes.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
I love using the themes...when their given to me for free. I am currently using a Monster Hunter theme.

If I make one it's going to be Creepypasta or Magikarp related.

As soon an I learn how to actually put homebrew on my 3ds the RIGHT way, I'm definitely gonna get a custom theme, but it's sooooo confusing and I don't know what to do or where to put the correct files where. (send help .-.)
Seems simple enough following the steps one by one though. You just do exactly what they're saying and you're done.

I won't be using custom themes because they seem like too much hassle to unable and get. I'm satisfied with the paid themes from the theme shop. I'm not too bothered about the appearance of a background for the most part, anyways. It's a pretty cool addition for the gamers who are creative and allow them to get themes that they always wanted! :D

I think that the main reason why being hyped over this is partly useless is that all of this will be over after the next firmware update. Only people who have hacked 3DSes will still be able to use custom themes (among other things).

So yeah, great news, and I'd really love this to last forever, but let's be realistic for a minute...

I think that the main reason why being hyped over this is partly useless is that all of this will be over after the next firmware update. Only people who have hacked 3DSes will still be able to use custom themes (among other things).

So yeah, great news, and I'd really love this to last forever, but let's be realistic for a minute...
I don't think so. The reality beeing that every console ultimately ends up hacked, one way or the other. Nintendo (or sony, or microsoft) will try to do updates and staff but at the end, hackers wins :sneaky:
and this particular hack doesn't allow anything illegal anyway. It's just a bit of custumizing and a couple of homebrews, so I don't think it's really a threat to nintendo. Except maybe it it helps hacking it enven more but we'll see anyway.

No. Only reason I'm not is because I don't feel like unscrewing the back of my new 3DS to take the Micro SD out.

I don't think so. The reality beeing that every console ultimately ends up hacked, one way or the other. Nintendo (or sony, or microsoft) will try to do updates and staff but at the end, hackers wins :sneaky:
and this particular hack doesn't allow anything illegal anyway. It's just a bit of custumizing and a couple of homebrews, so I don't think it's really a threat to nintendo. Except maybe it it helps hacking it enven more but we'll see anyway.
Except that the 3DS has already been hacked several times (how do you think I got a custom theme on my 3DS before the original post was written ?) BUT the hacks were blocked soon after this.

The first hacks were for 4.5- firmwares only. The second hacks are for 9.2- firmwares only. Hacks for firmwares over 9.2 have for now always been ephemeral (or fully piracy-oriented but no one should care about those ones since we can't do anything else than steal money from people who do a job we love, which is stupidly wrong), and I am pretty sure this one won't survive long.

And yeah, people who bought a 4.5+ 3DS had to wait until 9.2 to get a viable hack. That's a long time. And if the next viable hacks take as much time to come (which I doubt, the less there are flaws, the more you wait usually), the next viable hacks will be there for firmware 13.9. That's a long time.

And obviously, as usual, those hacks will be blocked until new ones come...

Reactions: Afuldye
I didn't saw the things that way but you're right i guess. How long did pass between 4.5 to 9.2 anyways? Couple of years?

(or fully piracy-oriented but no one should care about those ones since we can't do anything else than steal money from people who do a job we love, which is stupidly wrong)
AND I totally agree with that. That's why I was saying that this hack doesn'treally poses a threat to nintendo. Also I don't really know much about hacking and it could open a door other things....

I didn't saw the things that way but you're right i guess. How long did pass between 4.5 to 9.2 anyways? Couple of years?
4.5 was out in December 2012 and 9.2 was out in October 2014.

AND I totally agree with that. That's why I was saying that this hack doesn'treally poses a threat to nintendo. Also I don't really know much about hacking and it could open a door other things....
Well, this use of flaws isn't a threat indeed, but maybe someone with bad intentions could use those flaws too.
Plus the fact devs might be proud, and when you hack their software, it's kind of the proof that not only they didn't code properly and didn't see their mistakes, but someone understood all of their code (which is hard, can tell you I can't debug other people's code), saw their mistakes, knew exactly what this did to the hardware, knew exactly what to input, where, and in what order to create the desired output. And I did that once in a classroom, with a teacher explaining basically what to do. Even with that, I can tell you it's hard :p

4.5 was out in December 2012 and 9.2 was out in October 2014.

Well, this use of flaws isn't a threat indeed, but maybe someone with bad intentions could use those flaws too.
Plus the fact devs might be proud, and when you hack their software, it's kind of the proof that not only they didn't code properly and didn't see their mistakes, but someone understood all of their code (which is hard, can tell you I can't debug other people's code), saw their mistakes, knew exactly what this did to the hardware, knew exactly what to input, where, and in what order to create the desired output. And I did that once in a classroom, with a teacher explaining basically what to do. Even with that, I can tell you it's hard :p

yes you're totally right. It must be very upsetting indeed. But it's to be expected as well, I mean we're all humanes and can do mistakes, and at the same time, no code is unbreakable.

Yes, because the Wii allowed full kernel+NAND access, while it's not the case with the 3DS. Here, we only have ARM11 userland access, and no access to most of the system modules or the kernel (but we may play with the NAND through some apps though).
Most apps only access the NAND for some very few services, and after calling the service, quickly shut off NAND access.

Back on topic, yes. I already have a couple of themes on my SD card, and currently running a Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core theme with the cursor sounds from FF and some OST :)

Oh, and instead of using the homemenu extdata tool, search up CHMM. It's MUCH easier to use. Keep the themes in a folder called Themes, and you can switch themes on the go, as you wish without copying any files to/from the SD Card.

So you can have an awesome custom theme with a sweet song playing in the background? I might have to check that out... the 2DS/3DS is better custom than vanilla. Plus, as much as I love Nintendo, they aren't the most creative when it comes to making themes and other things that aren't games :p

I have been wanting to make a custom theme for a while, so hopefully if I figure out how to do it and have the tools... If there are any I need... I will be able to finally have one. I'm sick of the ONLY free theme on the store being freaking Sonic Boom, that's like my least favourite game ever...

My current theme is "No Game No Life" with a song that I wish I knew the name to.

Of course I'm going to use custom themes. I've gotten a lot for the PS3 too. I've seen a lot of great themes on the site including a Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain theme, a Fire Emblem theme that was made for me, and many more. Unlike the custom PS3 themes though, there's A LOT of NSFW themes but some of them are honestly good.

I probably will, if only to satisfy my need to anime 3DS themes, would love a good Sword Art Online or Black Butler theme. Or maybe even start a small service of creating themes if I get good enough at making them. I won't do it for profit though, probably just for Play coins or something as simple as a thanks. But right now, I'm not really sure I'll go through with this :p

Reactions: DarkXorius
My current theme is "No Game No Life" with a song that I wish I knew the name to.
"This Game" maybe? That's what the opening for NGNL is called

"This Game" maybe? That's what the opening for NGNL is called

I got the bgm file from a different theme because I liked the song.

I got the bgm file from a different theme because I liked the song.
Oh cool, I got like 18 themes since my last post

Back