Best game for a new Zelda fan to start off with?

• Thread starter The Governor
  • Start date
The Governor

The Governor

Mandalorian
Towns Folk
I've only recently decided to give the Zelda franchise a try. Prior, I had just been watching other people on Youtube play Zelda games. Which game should I start off with?

Reactions: PorygonZ7727
A bunch of people that want to get into the The Legend of Zelda series always start with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64. That's my first The Legend of Zelda game, and because of it, I became a major The Legend of Zelda fan! If you don't own a Nintendo 64 to play the game, I suggest buying it through the Wii Virtual Console service if you have a Wii, and if not, then there's also a Nintendo 3DS remake of the game, which I guess is almost the exact same thing but with a few more extra content.

For first time players. Ocarina of Time is your best bet. If you don't have an N64 or virtual console for the Wii/WiiU buy the 3DS version if you have a 3DS.

To this day Ocarina of time is still considered one of the best games of all time.

I want to also know some great Zelda games.

I never played any Zelda games and look to actually play some :p

I'd say in this day and age, start with the Wind Waker HD remake since it's the one out in the market. If it was good enough for me in the Gamecube years back, then I think it's good for any person to start off with. Accessible and presents the typical adventure/puzzle/action formula of the Zelda series.

I do not recommend the Four Sword series as those focus on multiplayer and are more puzzle orientated.

Lastly, my favorite so far is The Minish Cap, and it's good to start off with too.

ocarina of time is overrated

Just kidding.

I'd go with the majority and say Ocarina of time too. That would be a good start. You'll really enjoy it. Plenty of gameplay to get through, too.

I'd say Minish Cap (GBA) too. I think that was the best Zelda handheld game, imo.

I would suggest Ocarina of Time. If you have a Wii, Skyward Sword is really wonderful as well. It's my favorite Legend Zelda game, in fact.

Own a 3ds? Then go play Ocarina of Time! It's definitely the Zelda game that is most Zelda-ish as ever. I wouldn't suggest starting with a 2D zelda cus well, most newcomers to zelda would prefer playing the 3d ones first. So go ahead and jump into ocarina :D

I recommend starting out with a 2D Zelda game, but if you don't have any access to one, I recommend starting out with OoT as it established the standards of a true Zelda title. This game received a 10/10 and is dubbed by many as one of the best games out there. This game is fun and not really too difficult.

I think that it'd be a lot more enjoyable to start with The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time first in my opinion . It was a really neat and memorable game to play . But asides from that , A Link to the Past is also nice to start with as well , since it's story was also memorable

I recommend oot.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64. That's my first The Legend of Zelda game, and because of it, I became a major The Legend of Zelda fan! If you don't own a Nintendo 64 to play the game, I suggest buying it through the Wii Virtual Console service if you have a Wii, and if not, then there's also a Nintendo 3DS remake of the game, which I guess is almost the exact same thing but with a few more extra content.
Especially Oracarina of time

For beginners of this day and age, I would say your best bet is either The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

It honestly depends if you like a retraux 2D styled Zelda game or a 3D Zelda game, but personally speaking ALBW is quite easy to play, has a big world to explore that at some point you can explore as you wish, has many neat items for you to use and in my honest opinion is quite replayable. However if you want something more immersive, OOT is your best bet.

Another neat recommendation I suggest you should get is both Zelda Oracle games (Labeled Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons) on the eShop for the 3DS. They may be Gameboy Color games, but they are really fun. They are each their own two seperate stories and worlds, so aside from some items and using the same game engine you don't need to worry about them being one game for the price of two.

You get the gameplay style ALBWs offers minus the marketed painting-wall ability, and it has characters and species from OOT. In Ages case it's moreso like a 2D OOT as it incorporates time travel as a puzzle element. Finally they have my favourite feature, the secrets code at the end of either title which you can then use to link Ages to Seasons and vise versa, thus making the second title more of a continuation of Link's adventures and you get bonuses if you link the games together.

Last edited:
I think that Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Legend of Zelda or Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

If you are looking for great gameplay and better graphics, play OoT, play the original if you don't want to spoil the story and Play LBW if you want in between :p

ocarina of time is overrated

Just kidding.
Pfft but it's true.

I would start off with A Link Between Worlds, it's an excellent and very fun game that's easily accessible and welcoming to newcomers, with some challenge if you choose to go Hero Mode afterwards.

I would go in this line Oot-MM-Lbw-SS-TP-LOZ-WOG-MAI-BOI

Ocarina of Time, or Skyward Sword. Ocarina of time is one of the more known games, one of my favorites, although it does feature some weird things, still its a great game. The story and the ability to transform from adult to child is pretty cool. The dungeons and temples are not insanely hard, but still challenging. They same goes for Skyward Sword, the graphics are great, bright, and sungeons feature lots more puzzles inside. To say I think any Zelda Game would be great!

I've only recently decided to give the Zelda franchise a try. Prior, I had just been watching other people on Youtube play Zelda games. Which game should I start off with?
Is best to play Zelda: Ocarina of Time as your first Zelda game, i heard many people went for a new fan to a hardcore fan of the Zelda series because of that game and Majoras Mask and boy oh boy those game turned me into a huge fan of the series, hope the Zelda Wii U will be good, since Skyward sword gave me a hard time to love it due to motion controls...

Wind Waker HD or A link between worlds. Wind Waker HD because it is a really fun game and has something about which makes you want to keep playing. It's good for new Zelda fans because it isn't rageworthy in difficulty. It is just an amazingly fun experience. A link between worlds just because I hear it is just like that too. Skyward Sword will still always be my favourite though.

I started out with Phantom Hourglass or Wind Waker, I can't really remember, but then I proceeded playing Majora's Mask and also Ocarina of Time. I think Ocarina of Time is the best choice for a new Zelda fan to start playing as it is pretty easy to start, and one of my favorite. Phantom Hourglass is also good but you might get confused in the storyline or find it too easy.

Back