Best game for a new Zelda fan to start off with?

• Thread starter The Governor
  • Start date
Well, I had tried playing Ocarina of Time first, but for some inexplicable reason I was kind of bored by it, bu after playing A Link Between Worlds (which is the first game I actually fell in love with on the DS), I had a new found love for TLoZ. So far I've played OOT, MM, Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Gonna start PH and ST soon.

I suggest Majoras Mask! It's so much fun and interesting! But if you play it without playing Ocarina, you'll understand none of it, so...
Play Ocarina.
Give it a whirl and test with it. If you play Ocarina, you'll understand the whole series. After playing Ocarina you can move onto Wind Waker & Majoras mask.

Hm, I feel the same about all this lol, i've never played a Legend of Zelda game in my life before *insert dramatic shock here* lol XD but I have been watching this hilarious let's play of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD by this youtuber named rabbidluigi (go check his channel, he's done pokemon, zelda, and mario games and stuff, he's hilarious haha) and idk I kinda feel like I want to start with Wind Waker HD, it just looks so amazing :eek: Even that new Zelda Wii U for next year looks amazing!

The best The Legend of Zelda game I've ever had the opportunity to play was The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. The game is pretty cheap these days, going at 10 bucks at the least. But if you have a Wii U, then play Hyrule Warriors, a great combination of The Legend of Zelda using Koei's Dynasty Warriors' hack-and-slash gameplay. I've never played it but I'm sure that you'll enjoy it yourself. Those are the best games I can recommend if you're going to start being a fan.

OoT 3D for the 3DS of course. Even though technically because of the title none of them would be the best because if you were new you wouldn't be a fan of Zelda and instead would maybe be into the culture but not the games at all unless they were not in the mainseries like Hyrule Warriors. But back to the point OoT 3D has an easy interface combined with more replayability than most Zelda games (I say most because the once free 25th anniversary Four Swords game tops that) and is widely known as the best in the series because namely it was the most groundbreaking for it's time and this version has much better graphics and the same basic gameplay so you can catch up with the kid who played the game in 1998 or later on remakes too.

Reactions: Mikaya
Well I guess you should start with Ocarina of Time for the 3ds. It is a game that everyone has dubbed a Masterpiece, while I think it was alright. The gameplay is great, for 3d standards and has a neat mechanic where you can Time Travel between 7 years. The Ocarina is a also popular for it's catchy songs.

Ocarina of Time. The game starts out simple, and gets more complex as you progress. The story is amazing and it will make you want to explore all the other Zelda games. And once you are done with that game, you can play the sequel, Majora's Mask. Best. Game. Ever.

I started out with phantom hourglass because I think that one is easy. If not phantom hour glass then I think any game with toon link is good

Reactions: PorygonZ7727
I think Skyward Sword is a really good start, as it seems it was made for being both someones first and last(in 2011) zelda.I think It's best you first play Skyward,then all others in order they were released,then Skyward again.If you for any reason can't get Skyward,then Ocarina of Time 3D (unless you play a lot of pre gen 6 games, belive me, you need 3D version),or if you can't get any version of Ocarina of Time, then A Link To The Past,or If you play a lot of retro games, then even better first Zelda.

I already replied, but, I wanted say one more thing.

Play the 3D Zelda series in chronological order. First to last. Cause, they connect. Ocarina connects to Majora, Majora & Ocarina connect to Windwaker, and Windwaker connect to Phantom Hourglass, etc.

This makes the series really fun. That's what I did. I played Ocarina, then Windwaker, and then Majora, and then a bit of phantom hourglass. It was really fun reseeing the characters & designs in the games.

Now I'm gonna play Twilight Princess ;3

A good gate-way game for LoZ would have to be Phantom Hourglass and/or Spirit Tracks. Its clever touch-controlled gameplay
makes it very engaging, map-doodling allows you to keep track of things you need to do - a plus for new fans, who's exposure to
LoZ's puzzles might be a little overwhelming at first - and its pace is both gentle and exciting.

Both those games have many of the lovable aspects of the best LoZ games, both have puzzle difficulties ranging from "Aha!" to "Face-palm!" and others in between, and their stories are bound to hook anyone to the LoZ bug. PH to ST are where I'd start.

A good gate-way game for LoZ would have to be Phantom Hourglass and/or Spirit Tracks. Its clever touch-controlled gameplay
makes it very engaging, map-doodling allows you to keep track of things you need to do - a plus for new fans, who's exposure to
LoZ's puzzles might be a little overwhelming at first - and its pace is both gentle and exciting.

Both those games have many of the lovable aspects of the best LoZ games, both have puzzle difficulties ranging from "Aha!" to "Face-palm!" and others in between, and their stories are bound to hook anyone to the LoZ bug. PH to ST are where I'd start.

Why not start with Windwaker? Cause, Phantom is the sequel to Windwaker.

Reactions: PorygonZ7727
I'm going to put my say in here. I started with the originals. All the way back in the beginning. So I would say get an emulator on your computer and start with Oracle of time and Oracle of seasons. But in the end its up to you.

I'm going to put my say in here. I started with the originals. All the way back in the beginning. So I would say get an emulator on your computer and start with Oracle of time and Oracle of seasons. But in the end its up to you.

I think he meant 3D Zelda games.

ohhhhhhhh lol I though that he meant any Zelda game ever. Well I'd say go with Ocarina of time or Go with Wind Waker they tend to be the easier ones. My best friend just recently go Majora's Mask and he died like 20 something times in a row cause he kept running out of time and he refused to look up the answers.

My best friend just recently go Majora's Mask and he died like 20 something times in a row cause he kept running out of time and he refused to look up the answers.

lol, what? I didn't think it was that hard, lol xD

I played through the whole game and never ran out of time.

Ocarina of time was the zelda game that started me into the franchise. I would suggest that one.

Why not start with Windwaker? Cause, Phantom is the sequel to Windwaker.
I was nine or ten when I first tried that game. Ended up getting lost in the huge sea a few times. That game isn't exactly s good start for a younger player or a sandbox layman, unless one is sure that player can handle it. The handheld PH is pocket-sized in more ways than one.

More importantly, one does not need to play the 1st of anything to understand and enjoy the 2nd. For instance, I really like Devil may Cry 3. Should I start with 1 to enjoy 3 more? (By the way, I tried 1 after beating 3. Oh how far Dante's gone from a RE spinoff to his own SSStylish half-demon.)

Now if you're recommending a game to a person who has tried puzzle and adventure games before, WW could be a place for them to start.

Last edited:
A link to the past or a link between worlds. both are pretty easy and fun to play.

I would say if you are interested in getting into the series, definitely start with either Ocarina of Time if you have a Wii or 3DS or the Wind Waker HD if you have a WiiU. Both of these games offer an excellent introduction to the 3D Zelda formula. Alternatively, you could start with Breath of the Wild, if you are interested in a newer installment.

Back