Buy a NES today?

• Thread starter Demon_skeith
  • Start date
Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith

Hiding in yo PC looking at yer files!
Towns Folk
Would you buy a NES console today to play some classic games? What games would you play on it?

My Grandma actually has one, and I still play 2 games from time to time. When I do play it, I like to play Mario Brothers and Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

I prefer playing games on their original console, but I wouldn't buy a NES today.
I doubt there is a single NES today that would function perfectly, even one that has never been used before.
Most games on the NES are fun to play when you feel like going back in time, but a lot haven't aged well. I'm not a 'this game is NEW' kind of guy but the simple gameplay, 8-bit sound and choppy-as-heck visuals aren't something I much fancy playing now. Sometimes new is just better. Sure there are games that never age like Yoshi, but not every game is that graceful.

Reactions: Marc
As much as I want to sat that I would buy one, I probably wouldn't. As long as I have the original games on a newer Virtual console, I honestly would rather play them on my Wii U's gamepad. XD

Reactions: Marc
I prefer playing games on their original console, but I wouldn't buy a NES today.
I doubt there is a single NES today that would function perfectly, even one that has never been used before.
Most games on the NES are fun to play when you feel like going back in time, but a lot haven't aged well. I'm not a 'this game is NEW' kind of guy but the simple gameplay, 8-bit sound and choppy-as-heck visuals aren't something I much fancy playing now. Sometimes new is just better. Sure there are games that never age like Yoshi, but not every game is that graceful.
The one my grandmother has functions perfectly.

The one my grandmother has functions perfectly.
That's because it belongs to you :) :p

That's because it belongs to you :) :p
You said that you doubt there's a NES out there today that will function properly. :p

I'd prefer VC. Besides, my NES can't save right, IIRC. I didn't have a properly-saving Nintendo home console until the GameCube.

I'd prefer VC. Besides, my NES can't save right, IIRC. I didn't have a properly-saving Nintendo home console until the GameCube.
Age, wear and tear, faulty parts, what contributed to the memory save problem?

It existed before I ever used it. On the other hand, I don't know if I ever played a game that would have used saves, so it may just be the old N64.

If I had no other options then I definitely would buy a NES because I still like playing some old games from time to time. Old games just bring back a lot of memories.

No. I wouldn't buy it because I could probably find all of the game on the internet.

No. I wouldn't buy it because I could probably find all of the game on the internet.

You can play them, but that isn't legal...
And actually, I would say not...

I had one years ago, but I had to "put it down", ;)
As much as I want to sat that I would buy one, I probably wouldn't. As long as I have the original games on a newer Virtual console, I honestly would rather play them on my Wii U's gamepad. XD
Ditto!

Honestly, I probably would buy a NES to play classic games. :) As for what games, I am not sure. I guess whatever I find that seems interesting enough. :)

Honestly, I probably would buy a NES to play classic games. :) As for what games, I am not sure. I guess whatever I find that seems interesting enough. :)

Well, there is a "Everdrive thing" for play games from a SD in the NES.
It hurts 320 bucks... Also you have to buy the console :p

You can play them, but that isn't legal...
And actually, I would say not...

Why so serious? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Why so serious? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

When I hated? o_O

I doubt I would buy the console alone. But if I ever came across a bundle with both the console and some nice game, and at a nice price, I would get it.

Yeah I would, if I didn't have the console with me. I think it is worth it if you can find cartridges to use with it.

I know it can be frustrating to have to do the blow-dust-out & find-right-angle rituals to some of them but in the end it is part of the fun to return me to those days so if I am not in a hurry or a bad mood I don't mind doing it.

That doesn't I don't appreciate having the comfort of the Virtual Consoles, I know that a game won't randomly stop working, some games on the NES could sure do with some painless save spots but overall they are not break dealers because that is the way I met those titles and I can adapt back.

in addition to having the console I don't mind having the titles available on my 3DS, (future) Wii U, etc. More than one option is good.

Back