Continued Discussion: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask/Twilight Princess

• Thread starter P2.0
  • Start date
Would it be cool if I share a theory I just came up with?
In OoT: Saria knows the song "Saria's song" right? And it just so happens that the skull kid in TP plays this song too. And on the skull kid's description in SB it mentions: "Kokiri children lost in the forest become these mischievous music loving creatures." My theory: what if Saria somehow wandered off one day and became the skull kid in TP?

That's one way to look at it. Another theory would be...
That the Skull Kid in TP knows this song because he is the exact same Skull Kid that you play the song to in OOT. Furthermore, that same Skull Kid may very well be the same one from MM, as he remarks that he knows the fairy boy. (I think he said something about you playing the song to him.)

@Ace :I don't think that's possible since Saria's the Sage of the Forest.

@Ace :I don't think that's possible since Saria's the Sage of the Forest.
She's not a Sage in TP as Link never pulled the Master Sword, Ganondorf never got his hands on the Triforce, thus Link never went to the Temples to awaken them since, uh, there was no reason to.

I believe it is the same Skull Kid from Majora's Mask, too, who also knew the song. People also only turn into Stalfos/Skull Kids when they have no fairies, too.

She's not a Sage in TP as Link never pulled the Master Sword, Ganondorf never got his hands on the Triforce, thus Link never went to the Temples to awaken them since, uh, there was no reason to.

I believe it is the same Skull Kid from Majora's Mask, too, who also knew the song. People also only turn into Stalfos/Skull Kids when they have no fairies, too.
Isn't TP the after events of OoT?

I had assumed so. (I think SS is pre OoT though.) But TP of course is Post. (to me it is anyway.)

Reactions: P2.0
I had assumed so. (I think SS is pre OoT though.)
Yeah, I think so too. \o/ But with your Skull Kid Theory, I'm more so leaning towards the Skull Kid that was from OoT and MM being the same one in TP. But y'know, I can't be sure.

Well with @Pandaxclone2's theory, I'm starting to see it that way too.

It is on the Child Timeline after OoT :p Ganondorf was never able to start the coup nor get the Triforce, thus he never governed Hyrule and Link never had to rescue the Sages since they were never in danger in the first place.

It can be seen in TP that the Sages are different (obviously) due to this. Meanwhile, WW occurs in the Adult Timeline and does acknowledge the Sages from OoT.

It is on the Child Timeline after OoT :p Ganondorf was never able to start the coup nor get the Triforce, thus he never governed Hyrule and Link never had to rescue the Sages since they were never in danger in the first place.

It can be seen in TP that the Sages are different (obviously) due to this. Meanwhile, WW occurs in the Adult Timeline and does acknowledge the Sages from OoT.

More info on this.

The ending of OOT is odd from an out of context perspective. Basically there's 3 timelines that spawned from OOT (Spoilers!):
  1. The Adult Timeline moves on after Link is sent back by Zelda. Because of what Child Link does in the past it splits off from this timeline and Link/The Hero's Spirit just vanishes, both mind and body. This is why in Wind Waker, Link doesn't have the Triforce of Courage within him from the get-go. He's not the chosen one until he proves himself worthy. Glass-stained windows of the OOT Sages are shown and there's ancestor Sage ghosts in the game that stem back to their respective species, linking the current WW Sages to the OOT ones.
  2. The Child Timeline moves on after the ending you see where Link is talking to Zelda. It's been stated here that Link basically tells Zelda what Ganondorf is planning and the Royal Family stops it as a result. Supposedly the Sages are different here because the ones in OOT weren't awoken in the Child Timeline, but bloodline has already been proven to be a factor for Sages (especially ALBW where the Sages weren't even awakened yet and presumably their ancestors haven't been for a bit.)
  3. The Downfall Timeline moves on after Link was somehow defeated along the way. Presumably during the final fight with Ganon since the backstory plot to LttP states the Sages sealed the Triforce away, which would mean Ganon as well since he basically owns it now. Here there's still a hero worthy of the Triforce of Courage but because Ganon owns it this means he doesn't have it immediately.
Finally, there's something all here that should be noted; when Link gets sent back to the Child Timeline, he comes back from pulling the Master Sword out of the pedestal. This would mean that Ganondorf could already get his hands on the Triforce of Power since he immediately acts on his plan as soon as Link pulls the Master Sword. The only way I can gather this would make sense is if Link, when being sent back into the past several times from an outsider's perspective hasn't actually pulled the Master Sword out yet.

...And now I'm thinking of Ganondorf just waiting around the corner for the kid to pull the Master Sword several times out and all he sees is him walk out, walk back in, hold the sword, rinse and repeat. That was probably frustrating for him. :rotfl:

Wait, while this is nice and all, what does this say about Skull Kid in TP? :eek:

Wait, while this is nice and all, what does this say about Skull Kid in TP? :eek:

Nothing really. It just clears up the confusion on OOT and which games take place after it. Best to have the facts straight.

Nothing really. It just clears up the confusion on OOT and which games take place after it. Best to have the facts straight.
Well, gee whiz. :hilarious:

If anything it at least gives a theory at the bottom of the post. :p

More info on this.

The ending of OOT is odd from an out of context perspective. Basically there's 3 timelines that spawned from OOT (Spoilers!):
  1. The Adult Timeline moves on after Link is sent back by Zelda. Because of what Child Link does in the past it splits off from this timeline and Link/The Hero's Spirit just vanishes, both mind and body. This is why in Wind Waker, Link doesn't have the Triforce of Courage within him from the get-go. He's not the chosen one until he proves himself worthy. Glass-stained windows of the OOT Sages are shown and there's ancestor Sage ghosts in the game that stem back to their respective species, linking the current WW Sages to the OOT ones.
  2. The Child Timeline moves on after the ending you see where Link is talking to Zelda. It's been stated here that Link basically tells Zelda what Ganondorf is planning and the Royal Family stops it as a result. Supposedly the Sages are different here because the ones in OOT weren't awoken in the Child Timeline, but bloodline has already been proven to be a factor for Sages (especially ALBW where the Sages weren't even awakened yet and presumably their ancestors haven't been for a bit.)
  3. The Downfall Timeline moves on after Link was somehow defeated along the way. Presumably during the final fight with Ganon since the backstory plot to LttP states the Sages sealed the Triforce away, which would mean Ganon as well since he basically owns it now. Here there's still a hero worthy of the Triforce of Courage but because Ganon owns it this means he doesn't have it immediately.
Finally, there's something all here that should be noted; when Link gets sent back to the Child Timeline, he comes back from pulling the Master Sword out of the pedestal. This would mean that Ganondorf could already get his hands on the Triforce of Power since he immediately acts on his plan as soon as Link pulls the Master Sword. The only way I can gather this would make sense is if Link, when being sent back into the past several times from an outsider's perspective hasn't actually pulled the Master Sword out yet.

...And now I'm thinking of Ganondorf just waiting around the corner for the kid to pull the Master Sword several times out and all he sees is him walk out, walk back in, hold the sword, rinse and repeat. That was probably frustrating for him. :rotfl:
Not quite, when Link sets in the Master Sword again to travel back in time, Ganondorf had already betrayed the King of Hyrule and everything was in commotion. Zelda had also already escaped with Impa.

Meanwhile, when Zelda teleports him back, while he does appear setting in the Master Sword, with the GoT opened, it must occur before Ganondorf betrays the king, as Link finds Zelda on the courtyard.

Chalk it up to Zelda being the Sage of Time. or maaaagic

As for the Skull Kid, thinking more about it, it's definitely the one from MM. The one from MM states he knows Link from the forest. This means it must be the Skull Kid Link teaches Saria's Song to, as well as the one Link gives a mask to, too.

Too many references in the one from TP to list tbh xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pandaxclone2
As for the Skull Kid, thinking more about it, it's definitely the one from MM. The one from MM states he knows Link from the forest. This means it must be the Skull Kid Link teaches Saria's Song to, as well as the one Link gives a mask to, too.

Too many references in the one from TP to list tbh xD

(Playing Devil's Advocate here) But by that logic Saria would be a candidate too. Both Saria and Skull Kid frequent the Lost Woods and it's not impossible for Saria to turn into a Skull Kid. Both know the song as well.

EDIT: By the by, the Skull Kid in OOT is the one you teach Saria's Song and give the mask to.

(Playing Devil's Advocate here) But by that logic Saria would be a candidate too. Both Saria and Skull Kid frequent the Lost Woods and it's not impossible for Saria to turn into a Skull Kid. Both know the song as well.

EDIT: By the by, the Skull Kid in OOT is the one you teach Saria's Song and give the mask to.
It wouldn't be impossible for her to be, but he's a bigger candidate by a landslide given that the one in OoT/MM is already a Skull Kid, has a history with masks (the one Link gives him and the actual Majora's Mask) is known to be mischievous (grabbing the mask Link shows him, stealing the Majora's Mask) and more.

Meanwhile, for Saria to be it, we'd have to assume she got lost in the Lost Woods, lost her fairy (while Link just plain didn't have one due to differe reasons, I don't think guardian fairies leaving on their own will is very common, like Navi's case) and didn't know how to return, had a sudden personality change or went mad over time, as well.

In TP, the skull kid plays around with Link, showing a mischievous personality. Summons puppets (possibly referencing how it got treated as a puppet by the MM) plays Saria's Song, knows his way around the Lost Woods and more stuff I can't recall atm.

So, while Saria COULD be the Skull Kid, the one from OoT/MM has many, many more reasons as to why he could be it, while Saria would have to stretch things a lot.

And yes, that's what I said :p

I should've clarified; I meant that it's just as likely for Saria to be the Skull Kid in MM as well as TP :p and your sentence with the Skull Kid at the end was confusing as to whether you meant it could be one of two Skull Kids or one, hence why I put that EDIT there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the Links related in some way? I know that the 'main' timeline is the OoT/MM/TP timeline but doesn't this link in some way with LttP and even Wind Waker? I remember reading somewhere that the LttP/Minish Cap/Oracles Link was like the ancient ancestor of 'main' Link.

Also I'm curious to see if they tie in the Breath of the Wild Link in here somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the Links related in some way? I know that the 'main' timeline is the OoT/MM/TP timeline but doesn't this link in some way with LttP and even Wind Waker? I remember reading somewhere that the LttP/Minish Cap/Oracles Link was like the ancient ancestor of 'main' Link.

Also I'm curious to see if they tie in the Breath of the Wild Link in here somewhere.
Nope, Link is reborn in different eras, sometimes he is indeed related by blood to his past lives though.

It's implied that there is some lineage of Knights of Hyrule, however, and that each incarnation is a descendant of this lineage so it's possible Link is always related by blood to his past lives. Nothing has disproven this so far.

Reactions: Ashkil
Nope, Link is reborn in different eras, sometimes he is indeed related by blood to his past lives though.

It's implied that there is some lineage of Knights of Hyrule, however, and that each incarnation is a descendant of this lineage so it's possible Link is always related by blood to his past lives. Nothing has disproven this so far.

So the only Links with a direct connection are the OoT/MM Link with the TP Link? Apart from this there is no canon connection?

Back