Did you hold down A when trying to catch Pokemon?

• Thread starter Lovebeat
  • Start date
Lovebeat

Lovebeat

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Curious, because I use to do it every single time thinking it helped. Don't remember where I heard that holding down A increased your chances.

Not so much as a kid, actually never as a kid, but I do now days sometimes, especially on those stubborn, hard to catch Pokemon. I remember reading about that trick somewhere. Was it in that Game Boy Color Secrets guide or something? I don't remember it was sometime ago.

I hold down A as well. Not sure why though. I guess it became a habit after having done it for so long.

I just press A repeatedly... I actually do that whenever I'm battling in general. Maybe because I'm impatient or think things will go by quicker.

I'm guilty of holding down the A button. When I was younger I actually thought it worked, but now for some reason I still do it even though I know it does nothing.

I use to do this all the time thinking it helped :laugh:

I just press A repeatedly...
Same here. I remember when my older brother introduced me to Silver, and told me I had to rapidly press A repeatedly. So that's what I did. And... I still do it, whenever I play Pokémon.

I used to do this all time. Not that it has an effect or anything. xD

Yes. :p I thought this actually worked.

I did back on the original gameboy

I actually did this playing Pokemon SoulSilver the other night. I was in the Safari Zone trying to catch a stubborn Misdreavus, and after holding down A two or three times I finally caught the little stinker. As of right now it's level is in the mid-40's almost early 50's and I plan on battling with it in the Pokemon League's Elite 4.

I use to do it on the original Gameboy thinking it helped, but I stopped after realizing it didn't help my chances with capturing Pokemon.

Curious, because I use to do it every single time thinking it helped. Don't remember where I heard that holding down A increased your chances.
I used to in the original games (well, 'B', not 'A'), which coincidentally enough did in fact manipulate the RNG, therefore actually helping you catch the Pokemon (it wasn't just an illusion guys). AFAIK it works with any button input but I'd need to look at the research (which exists, not joking) to be sure.

I'm not sure whether doing it in the more recent games still has an effect (and I don't really do it in those). I would hazard that they've implemented a flag that prevents it, but I don't know for sure.

I always did it, and still do. It used to help in Diamond/Pearl (which were my first 2 Pokémon games, actually), and now even though it doesn't, I still do it simply out of habit, and I also do it just so the text will go by faster.

I used to tap A but I think it was actually just a mental thing whenever I thought it helped.

I still do, for me I found out that I have a better chance of catching mons when I hold the button down instead of tapping it.

I used to tap A and B over and over, thinking it helped me catch some of the Pokemon I caught. That's what the kids at school told me to do. Haha.

The only time I do that now is when I'm getting frustrated. xD

I used to always furiously tap A and B since I thought that would help me catch Pokemon or deal extra damage (since I saw a lot of other players doing it). I've stopped doing that now, unless I'm in a tense, heated conflict or trying to do something really quickly (even though tapping fast isn't going to do anything).

Yes (although I started with B up and then down A or the buttons the other was around). I also tried saying Gotcha in the DS mic because I am gullible. For some reason I still believe they work since I have no evidence for or against.

It worked in the original games (Gen I definitely, not sure about the the others) by manipulating the RNG, but it's frame dependent and difficult to pull off through regular play. Still a common optimisation used in speedruns, though.

Back