Do you automatically look down upon banned members?

• Thread starter 423
  • Start date

Content at Heart
Towns Folk
This is something that I've held off on making a thread for, but I think some people can relate. :p

Is your perception of banned members negative or unpleasant? For me, it depends on what they did to get themselves banned. If I see a random member who got banned for advertising their website or spamming the forums, there's not really much for me to judge them for other than "They made a mistake". If there's a legitimately terrible reason/back story as to why a member was banned, my view toward them probably won't involve much respect. xD

Reactions: 3905 and MindzEye
Yeah they're all animals

Seriously though, it depends on the situation. In general though I'm a pretty "dude idgaf" kinda guy, very forgiving.

I mostly just life at @Nanamine for getting banned on fc.

I mostly just life at @Nanamine for getting banned on fc.

Well getting banned is easy when cameron is in charge lmao

Reactions: 423 and Jack
Let's not make this thread go off-topic, boys. xP

Reactions: Mikaya
I agree with you @Goopa I wouldn't know what to think of banned members, I mean I would look down on anyone who broke any of the rules on purpose or accident depending on that rule.

Depends; usually if it's a smaller mistake then I generally think of it as an 'oh they made a mistake' and if they're a cool person, I don't really care - it's in the past, right? If it's a bigger thing and some big stuff's gone down, then I could lose a bit of respect for them but of course, if they're a cool person and perhaps if it happened when they were young and stupid, I don't really care because the internet can bring out the worst in us. I've been banned before from other forums and half of the time it's been because of admin abuse, so I try not to think the worst of my fellow members if they've been banned here and half of the time it's been because I was bored, young and somewhat stupid, which I've grown out of.

Generally, if you're a decent person to me, I'm fine with you and I'll try not to look down on you if you genuinely want to be a good member, because I've been there, done that and look at me now; a pretty decent member...

Right? :'D

Reactions: Sans, MindzEye, 3823 and 2 others
It all falls upon the rhetoric of the user. I gotta either speak with him/her or see how he/she talks/posts/other on the site.

Take for instance, Stephen9999, a guy I knew of in Miiverse. He may've been a little hot-headed, and I may've not gotten his sense of humor at times, but he was one of the wisest and coolest guys I knew. He had a ton of great ideas, quick wit, a takes-nothing-serious attitude...
...He and I exchanged all kinds of great chats last year. However, the guy's been banned and assumed perma'd. My point here is that I can't think anything about the user unless I've gotten to know or know of him/her. I do a lot of digging before I make an opinion of the profile, and work even harder to determine the person behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sans, 423 and Mikaya
If it's a temporary ban (Say for minor things like swearing or some other type of typing accidents) I don't because I've made that mistake in the mii universe and I'm sure you have too. But if it's permanent (For trying to alter the system, or taking down the Nintendo servers) then definitely; they bought it upon themselves by doing that...
...So I guess I do, but only in certain cases eg: Trying to mess up Smash Bros (Which should be an executable crime)

Yeah, they don't tend to be tall and it would be rude not to look them at their eyes because they are banned.

Reactions: 423
I wouldn't say I look down on them, I'm just not sure why members want to be banned or get themselves banned. I wonder if it's because they get bored of the site or just wanna cause trouble. Because it's easy to not get banned.

Then again, when I see someone banned I wanna know what they did. :sneaky:

If someone gets banned, that means they have gone far enough against the rules that a staff member has had enough. I, for one, look down upon members that get permanently or temporarily banned, unless of course they have made obvious changes since being banned.

And really, you'd just get a warning if you advertised your website. The only way you could get banned for something like that is by ignoring a staff members' warnings, which is a reason to look down upon someone on it's own.

Unless that staff is Rin.

Reactions: Mikaya
Feel like this post is directed to a certain someone who was here..

But I honestly dont know how I'd feel about banned members. I rarely interact with them enough to know if they had good intentions or not, but the fact that they got banned probably makes me think that they did some things that must've been a giant nope.

Either way, it's all history now

Feel like this post is directed to a certain someone who was here..
It originally was the first time I wanted to make this thread, but this time around is purely for discussion. :p

It originally was the first time I wanted to make this thread, but this time around is purely for discussion. :p
Lol knew it

Reactions: 423
Eh, I won't deny I automatically look down on them, it's pretty much a reflex.

It's like triggering alarms, whenever I see a banned user on any forum, i metaphorically get a message saying "he/she did something awful, better keep your distance"

Eh, I won't deny I automatically look down on them, it's pretty much a reflex.

It's like triggering alarms, whenever I see a banned user on any forum, i metaphorically get a message saying "he/she did something awful, better keep your distance"
One cannot determine what that awful something is with just a glance.
  • For example, I once told another user about the hot-button issue of Disk. Locked. Content.: Gamers were outraged that they had to pay extra for digital content already included on their discs. This was rampant in Capcom's games like TekkenXStreet Fighter. I made reference of how I sided with the gamers over the industry and kiiiiiinda said I was cool with them digitally obtaining their data by other means. I was then reported for "criminal content." (Note to self. Never say "Hacking" in some online message boards.)

Reactions: J9794
  • For example, I once told another user about the hot-button issue of Disk. Locked. Content.: Gamers were outraged that they had to pay extra for digital content already included on their discs. This was rampant in Capcom's games like TekkenXStreet Fighter. I made reference of how I sided with the gamers over the industry and kiiiiiinda said I was cool with them digitally obtaining their data by other means. I was then reported for "criminal content." (Note to self. Never say "Hacking" in some online message boards.)

One gotta be careful with what you say when sailing the web, even more with certain topics that can get an entire site shut down :jimlad:

Reactions: MindzEye
Yeah I agree with Oopa on this one. Banned members should only be looked down upon because of what they did. I mean, usually its something fairly bad, but it doesn't really matter too much anyway, because if it was really bad, chances are they won't be coming back.

But you wouldn't get banned for that here. The staff here only ban if it is a necessity, so I'd know that they did something bad enough to actually get themselves banned.

Reactions: Mikaya and MindzEye
Back