Do you care about games being censored on Nintendo consoles?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Nintendo of America recently revealed how the Switch version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will be censored and it's caused a lot of uproar. I think it's been extended to Japan too and they've responded by purchasing a lot of copies of the uncensored Wii U version.

So I'm wondering.. if a game gets censored, does that affect if you purchase the game or not?

Probably not. Some games have the exact different problem where they aren't censored compared to other versions [Super Neptunia RPG]. Also what was censored exactly?

Probably not. Some games have the exact different problem where they aren't censored compared to other versions [Super Neptunia RPG]. Also what was censored exactly?
most costumes show less skin, wich is a superficial change
and according to some people its looks like modeling in infomal clothes is a radical plot change from modeling in swimsuits, because its not like that part of the story is about...simply modeling
iks kinda ridiculous because the change is superficial, and it already happened in the EU version in wiiu
if you want to see more skin...internet has enougth places for that
however, if that cersorship is something important,like, lets say, imagine a scene were children are killed onscreen by the villain and they censor the scene,making us unable to see how horrible the villain is(not simply telling us), or "hiding" some aspect of the story of a character then i would be upset

Maybe not quite much because I'm also keeping an eye on the game ratings, but there's a slim chance censorship may affect my purchase positively, considering that at times I'm worried whether the games I wanted to get is appropriate for me or not. It's one of several aspects I'm keeping an eye on when deciding whether to get some certain games.

Prob
Nintendo of America recently revealed how the Switch version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will be censored and it's caused a lot of uproar. I think it's been extended to Japan too and they've responded by purchasing a lot of copies of the uncensored Wii U version.

So I'm wondering.. if a game gets censored, does that affect if you purchase the game or not?

Probably not, as i can watch any content that was previously censored on youtube, and its usually things like cutscenes and costumes and the like

imo, censoring games is dumb anyway. Age ratings are there for a reason, and if you're over that age then it's your choice on if you want to see that kind of content or not, you should be mature enough to go "oh cool character design" and not "oh mah gawd I can see some skin on her chest that's so cool and I'm acting like a child". If you're under the age rating, gtfo.

it's just emotional maturity tbh. It's just adult content. I find it stupid that violent gore can be shown but a female can't be shown in revealing clothing for character design choices or story devices without being censored or similar even though that's just normal stuff and imo a lot better than some violent gore in some games. I'd rather a kid see some nudity and gets the talk early, then get traumatised by strong violence and realistic gore.

I guess since it's the only superficial aspects... it's fine

I'm against censorship of any sort.
I get how it's often done to avoid too high age ratings that could hinder sales or block a release, but maybe it's the whole rating system that should be revised.

If a game is 16+ or 18+ it doesn't have any sense seeing people that complain about their contents affecting children.
What the heck, you're a parent, do your job and parent your kids.
Sit with them and play the games together or check the game in advance. Money used to buy games is yours, it's not like your 7 year-old kid has gotten somewhere else the cash to buy GTA.
My mom did this when I was a kid and I never ended up traumatized by any game and I could play all sorts of games.

I guess since it's the only superficial aspects... it's fine

The main problem with this it's that it starts with superficial things, but then in a following game a "controversial" phrase could end up being omitted and so on and we'll end up to the glorious censorship parade of a few decades ago.
Maybe I'm overstating it a bit, but we're in 2019 and we should be able to consume a media as it was intended by its creators without any filter on.

Reactions: Jisenku and 28142
The main problem with this it's that it starts with superficial things, but then in a following game a "controversial" phrase could end up being omitted and so on and we'll end up to the glorious censorship parade of a few decades ago.
Maybe I'm overstating it a bit, but we're in 2019 and we should be able to consume a media as it was intended by its creators without any filter on.
¿and what if the creators themselves changed their opinion of how the game should be witouth any external influence?
as far i remember, they only "controversy" this game has is because of the extremely superficial changes, no one has made a boycot because in the original japanese version there were more "revealing" outfits" and nothing like the FE fates controversy with a support conversation has happened

Developers are entitled to change their mind about their own creation, but it'd be better if they did it before releasing a game, except for quality of life improvement, that are always welcome.
But I doubt that one developer would say something on the line oh, this outfit is too raunchy, let's change it. Usually, it's not even a problem of bigotry per se, but censorship it's often something wanted by publishers since, as I said, some countries have different rating systems that would not want certain contents.
But then again, this leads to absurd things like what Sony did recently, when they cancelled some games' western releases (bye bye Omega Labyrinth Z) or even censored the Japanese versions of games that it's not even certain will reach the West, where this kind of content wasn't a problem at all.
(On a side note, in Japan there's the tendency to censor violent content, so it's not like censorship is only a western problem)

Also, even if no one rise a fuss because the game's niche or the changes are minimal doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

Nah, I couldn’t care less.

Nah, I couldn’t care less.
What if content that could have been essential to the story was lost? For an example, in Steven Universe, there were 4 different episodes leading up to the huge falling action (you know about it if you like English/whatever) only because of a gay wedding (it makes more sense if you have seen it... so people were so confused to find that most of the characters changing their minds on a lot of subjects. It was really weird

No I don't really mind if nintendo or any other gaming companies censor a game for a reason. They have a policy they have to follow so i don't blame them if a game if being censored or not. Tbh it's probably for the best they do censor some parts of the games so people won't have any ideas.

I don't care much about censorship really. As long as it doesn't effect gameplay im fine. It's honestly interesting seeing the censorship changes they made honestly lol. It's good for speculation.

I’ve run into a bit of censorship with certain games on the Switch, notably VNs. I think it’s a bit much, considering what they censor in those games (butt cracks, cigarettes, etc). It seems like they try to achieve a certain rating sometimes and so they censor it a certain way to get that rating, or they even have a T or M rating but censor it anyway. It hardly make sense.

The fact that these things don’t even get censored overseas is what really gets me. If they understand that ratings are out in place to assist people buying it, and so that the content can stay intact, why do they feel the need to censor so much?

I'm honestly against censorship at a localization level. I want to enjoy the game as the devs intended it and if a localization changes it because of personal feelings, That's where I draw the line.
Now the most idiotic censorship I've seen would definitely be the Fire Emblem Fates, More specifically the Saizo and Beruka C Support. In the Japanese game they talk about their personally back stories but in the Localized version its all "..." for the entire several text boxes which really ruins it.

Definitely not! I don't care how you make your games, I just want to play them! So I don't care about censorship. I only care about the quality of the game, and how much fun I'm having! It's up to the developers if they want to censor it or not, and it's up to the consumer if they want to buy it or not. Simple.

But if it's a game for kids, definitely! We don't want to show some parts (e.g. blood, liquor, bahookawongas) to little children!
But if it's a game for an older audience, like me, I don't care if it's censored unless it affects gameplay, story, and dialogue. I just want to play my games, I don't want to get confused.

I don't really care, because I don't really play any games that would be censored. I mostly stick to E and T on Nintendo consoles, because that's mostly what all of the first party games are. I play Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.

I don't really care, because I don't really play any games that would be censored. I mostly stick to E and T on Nintendo consoles, because that's mostly what all of the first party games are. I play Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.
If you understood what censorship actually was (no offense though, I understand that it's a weird concept), you would realize that censorship can be found in any type of game, no matter the original rating. Just because it's E for Everyone or T for Teen doesn't mean that certain elements aren't censored due to national controversy on a typical part of another country. Censorship doesn't necessarily mean blocking out NSFW content, it can be something as simple as changing the dialogue from the Kamek in the UK because it used a certain slur that's used against disabled people. The point is, that just because something is censored doesn't mean that its NSFW, it could just be a word used improperly, or a certian thing that has controversy that was used on accident, or without realization.

If you understood what censorship actually was (no offense though, I understand that it's a weird concept), you would realize that censorship can be found in any type of game, no matter the original rating. Just because it's E for Everyone or T for Teen doesn't mean that certain elements aren't censored due to national controversy on a typical part of another country. Censorship doesn't necessarily mean blocking out NSFW content, it can be something as simple as changing the dialogue from the Kamek in the UK because it used a certain slur that's used against disabled people.The point is, that just because something is censored doesn't mean that its NSFW, it could just be a word used improperly, or a certian thing that has controversy that was used on accident, or without realization.
I was mostly talking about the type of censorship imposed in this game, which was changing the the character's outfits to be more modest, and removing a couple DLC that included characters in swimsuits. On the point of you saying the thing about kamek's dialogue being changed, I see that as more of localization, to adjust for culture differences.

Back