Do you care about games being censored on Nintendo consoles?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
On the point of you saying the thing about kamek's dialogue being changed, I see that as more of localization, to adjust for culture differences.

Slurs aren't a cultural difference, the only difference is that america has normalised the use of disability slurs to the point where the majority of (non-disabled) people don't care, that isn't a good thing.

Reactions: Jisenku
On the point of you saying the thing about kamek's dialogue being changed, I see that as more of localization, to adjust for cultural differences.
Like @Sky said, that's not localization, that's due to America normalizing offensive terms. A lot of what Americans think is fine is actually really offensive or just really sexual in other countries. I won't go into detail on what I mean, but you can find out for yourself. The point is that Americans have their own definitions for things, but it's also because America just doesn't care about cultural differences. That's why especially nowadays you find many bands that are being renamed, such as The Chicks, or Lady A (those are the renamed versions) because they related to a racial slur. Censorship is often for good reason, especially due to slurs found because Americans don't understand the meaning of certain things, myself included.

Reactions: 28142
Slurs aren't a cultural difference, the only difference is that america has normalised the use of disability slurs to the point where the majority of (non-disabled) people don't care, that isn't a good thing.
I think that that is a cultural difference, certain words are found ok in America, and they aren't ok in the UK. That's basically the definition of culture difference. Also, I don't think that that's from americans not understanding, it's just different things having different meanings in different places. It's like how in the south, a lot of people see the virginian battle flag (more commonly known as the confederate flag, but it isn't the confederate flag) as a sign of southern pride, but in other places it's seen as a sign of slavery.

I think that that is a cultural difference, certain words are found ok in America, and they aren't ok in the UK. That's basically the definition of culture difference. Also, I don't think that that's from americans not understanding, it's just different things having different meanings in different places. It's like how in the south, a lot of people see the virginian battle flag (more commonly known as the confederate flag, but it isn't the confederate flag) as a sign of southern pride, but in other places it's seen as a sign of slavery.
OK, but also understand that the Virginian battle flags were also used in support of white supremacism/nationalism (not just for slavery.) The point is, some things would choose to censor the flag just because it might get a bad reaction from some, but on the other hand, I understand your point about it being about Virginian/Southern heritage, and I respect that.

Also, on the topic of the cultural difference, the main reason why something is censored is because of cultural differences, and you are right, some words are ok in the US, while in other places they aren't. At the same time, I understand that you might not understand a lot about the different things that the US does that can be considered offensive. For instance, asking someone what their profession is can be considered rude in some places, maybe classist. Also, being naked in a sauna is very common in Europe, having a robe can be seen as prude.

The list goes on and on. The point is, the US does a LOT of things that we shouldn't do and people don't do in other countries. Also, interesting tip that I would reccomend you, if you are in South America and say that you are from America, it can be seen as rude & offensive, just say the US.

~just realized this got off topic quick... lmao~

I don't get why everyone from the UK (or any European country for that matter) has to be a dick about the US all the time. Oh gun control this, normalization of slurs that. I see it a ton on Reddit, and now on here too. If the UK is so great, why is it responsible for 62 separate independence days.

I don't get why everyone from the UK (or any European country for that matter) has to be a dick about the US all the time. Oh gun control this, normalization of slurs that. I see it a ton on Reddit, and now on here too. If the UK is so great, why is it responsible for 62 separate independence days.
Dude, I'm from the US... and I actually agree with her and most of the world on LOT of things. Also are you sure you're not mistaking the UK for Great Britain? Also yes, gun control should be way more regulated. The US is doing a lot of stuff wrong, but so is many other countries. We aren't all perfect, but the US sucks.

Also a lot more than just Europe hates us... the list is actually very long, Russia, Slovenia, Austria, Egypt, Iran, & Pakistan to just name a few

Does that make @Sky's opinion valid now? It shouldn't have to, but I'll give some validation to her anyway.

Dude, I'm from the US... and I actually agree with her and most of the world on LOT of things. Also are you sure you're not mistaking the UK for Great Britain? Also yes, gun control should be way more regulated. The US is doing a lot of stuff wrong, but so is many other countries. We aren't all perfect, but the US sucks.

Also a lot more than just Europe hates us... the list is actually very long, Russia, Slovenia, Austria, Egypt, Iran, & Pakistan to just name a few

Does that make @Sky's opinion valid now? It shouldn't have to, but I'll give some validation to her anyway.
I still don't think that she's right to basically call Americans horrible people for a cultural difference. I'm sorry if I offended you or sky with anything I said. I'm sure you're both nice people. I really hope we can leave it at here, because I came onto here to have discussions about games and make friends, not to argue.

Last edited:
I still don't think that she's right to basically call Americans horrible people for a cultural difference. I'm sorry if I offended you or sky with anything I said. I'm sure you're both nice people. I really hope we can leave it at here, because I came onto here to have discussions about games and make friends, not to argue.
lmao, I'm actually really enjoying this... I'm going to make a thread specifically about arguing about something, but making it so that people cannot talk about it anywhere else

lmao, I'm actually really enjoying this... I'm going to make a thread specifically about arguing about something, but making it so that people cannot talk about it anywhere else
I'm also enjoying this for the most part, but I don't really enjoy being talked down too.

I'm also enjoying this for the most part, but I don't really enjoy being talked down too.
My apologies, I was only trying to expand your mindset. i love how much bias the US education system has... it's funny just to see how much stuff is wrong with it

I want to jump in for a second and say that was never my intention, my intention was to bring to light why that difference exists, that is just what has happened in the US. Again though, it's not a cultural difference, if it was then it means that slurs are just part of american culture, I'm not sure that's something you'd want assosiated with your country :p It also makes it "ok" in a sense, which it isn't.

This also isn't an argument on who's country is best, believe me, I want to leave this country ASAP. Every country has it's own flaws but you just gotta recognise that and move on.

I want to jump in for a second and say that was never my intention, my intention was to bring to light why that difference exists, that is just what has happened in the US. Again though, it's not a cultural difference, if it was then it means that slurs are just part of american culture, I'm not sure that's something you'd want assosiated with your country :p It also makes it "ok" in a sense, which it isn't.

This also isn't an argument on who's country is best, believe me, I want to leave this country ASAP. Every country has it's own flaws but you just gotta recognise that and move on.
I wasn't really talking to you about the talking down on thing, that was more directed to BlueJ, just a couple of things he said like how he was just trying to expand my mindset really gave me vibes that he was just thinking he was above me. Thanks for clarifying exactly what you meant though.

Reactions: Jisenku and 28142
I wasn't really talking to you about the talking down on thing, that was more directed to BlueJ, just a couple of things he said like how he was just trying to expand my mindset really gave me vibes that he was just thinking he was above me. Thanks for clarifying exactly what you meant though.
I sometimes talk as though I'm higher than everybody else (especially on explaining things), and tbh that's probably due to some superiority issues that I have... anyways, I'm really sorry for making you feel like I was trying to talk down on you. I literally meant what I said, to expand your mindset because the US education system has a LOT of bias with it, and as such I wanted you to realize while the US is a pretty nice place, it still has A LOT going wrong with it, like most countries. I personally have a bias against the US, especially with healthcare because I heavily rely on medicine and medical procedures. As such, I think very poorly of the US's healthcare system & government as it stands today, so I might talk bad about the US, and be very critical of people who try to defend the US on certain points. I am truly sorry though if I hurt you in any sort of way by saying this sort of stuff. My honest apologies.

I still don't vibe with how they censored Fire Emblem Fates. They removed most of the lovey-dovey stuff from literally the only lesbian relationship in the whole game.

And like, why can't I pet girls? ;-; That's somehow not weird in Japan?? Idk, i think their excuses are scuffed.

Although it likely won't affect my purchase of a game, as these changes are often irrelevant to the gameplay itself, I detest censorship and would prefer if they kept the content in. If the changes were more prominent, like an aspect of the story being removed or completely overhauled, then it would start to affect my decision. I can't think of any ideas off the top of my head but I vaguely recall some dialogue in games getting changed to remove parts which could be deemed controversial.

Reactions: Jisenku
Back