Do you care that the Switch dosen't support Wii U games?

• Thread starter King Of 3D
  • Start date
King Of 3D

King Of 3D

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
In my opinion, I personally am kinda frustrated about the whole thing with the "Switch" not being compatible with Wii U games, because what about the people who spent their money on Wii U games, and can't play them on the Switch! That would be a waste of their money for buying three Wii U games, but it also would be even more dumb (in my opinion) if they made it so you need to rebuy the Wii U games on the Switch! What do you guys think? Are you guys okay with the whole idea of the Switch not being compatible with Wii U games, or do you care about it? I'f love to hear what you all have to say, and like always have a nice day :)

Meh it would've been nice but if they are ported over I would prefer to buy the games again then not be able to sell my Wii u for a switch.

I don't really care, if people wanted to play Wii U games, they should buy a Wii U, it's that simple.

Neither do I mind that it doesn't support 3DS games.

Overall, backwards compatibility is completely unnecessary.

Reactions: 423
because what about the people who spent their money on Wii U games, and can't play them on the Switch!
You're most likely going to have a Wii U if you purchase Wii U games in the first place.

I don't really care tbh. It would be nice if we could transfer over our digital Wii U games and play it on the Switch (if that's even possible), but other than that, I'm perfectly fine. I can always sell my Wii U discs.

And I hope we get a lot more Switch games instead of Wii U game ports in the early days of the console >.>

Well, yeah, I do care in some sense, since I think usually they're supposed to be compatible with Wii U games and all, until I figured out that it's impossible regarding the lack of optical disc drive there. But then, I think I can go along with that if they're having more better games for me to enjoy with.

I really do not get why it is that big of a deal because as Marc said, you will have a wii u if you have wii u games. and if you don't have certain games, you can either download them on the switch (if possible) or get it for the wii u

TBH I don't really care about backward compatibility, but some sort of "Virtual Console" - digital copies of WiiU games playable on the Switch - would be nice.
Moreover, having a CD player could have been a problem for Switch's portability.

Not really, because I actually have a Wii U, lel. It should be fairly obvious as to why there is no backward compatibility: Switch games operate on cartridges. At most, there will likely be a Virtual Console for Wii U games on the Switch eShop.

Reactions: 3823
For me I never played wii, or wii u, and games did play you couldn't put on other systums anyways. I stoped at gamecube. So for me I be use too have get a new one just play games.

I don't really care. If I want to play Wii U games, I'll just get a Wii U. It'll be a little pricey, but for my entertainment, I imagine it'd be worth it.

I don't care. I will not be throwing out my Wii U when I get the nintendo switch, so if I want to play a Wii U game I will just go straight to my Wii U. However, I think it would be a problem with nintendo that they don't have it, except it seems they are remaking a lot of the big selling Wii U games for the switch so people who got the switch, without getting a Wii U can still play the Wii U's top games.

Backwards compatability mainly serves to keep the customers interested by allowing previously bought products of theirs being playable on the new console/handheld. Secondly, while it's true you'd likely own the console for the games, have you ever tried setting up a multi-console setup? It's certainly possible but by no means easy or cheap. Backwards compatability allows one to just utilise a single console for multiple games they own without having to keep everything wired up all the time (because in all likelihood you wouldn't be unless you had some specific reason like being a Let's Player.)

Basically for gamers who prefer simplicity and accessibility over complications and inaccessibility, BW compatability is a big deal. As for me? I'm not all that butthurt over the Wii U not being backwards compatible (mainly because I don't own one and the Switch uses carts so it's a foolish thing to try to implement anyway) but the lack of backwards compatability with the 3DS is a bit of a surprise. Still, as long as I could actually insert a 3DS cart into a Switch even if it didn't work, all I'd have to do is play the waiting game.

I'm pretty disappointed about this to be honest. The Switch is probably going to be my first home console, and I really wanted to play the Zelda remakes and some other Wii U games. I'm just hoping Nintendo will put them in the eShop.
What's it with consoles these days not having backwards compatibility? PS4, now the Switch .-.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Backwards compatability mainly serves to keep the customers interested by allowing previously bought products of theirs being playable on the new console/handheld. Secondly, while it's true you'd likely own the console for the games, have you ever tried setting up a multi-console setup? It's certainly possible but by no means easy or cheap. Backwards compatability allows one to just utilise a single console for multiple games they own without having to keep everything wired up all the time (because in all likelihood you wouldn't be unless you had some specific reason like being a Let's Player.)

Basically for gamers who prefer simplicity and accessibility over complications and inaccessibility, BW compatability is a big deal. As for me? I'm not all that butthurt over the Wii U not being backwards compatible (mainly because I don't own one and the Switch uses carts so it's a foolish thing to try to implement anyway) but the lack of backwards compatability with the 3DS is a bit of a surprise. Still, as long as I could actually insert a 3DS cart into a Switch even if it didn't work, all I'd have to do is play the waiting game.
Except the people who need that are a _very_ small niche market. Very few actually care about backwards compatibility, and the mainstream market doesn't enter there.

And, remember that just because it's of the ARM architecture, it doesn't mean it will be able to be backwards compatible with 3DS/DS/GBA, they'd still need to work these consoles' firmware into it, otherwise even Android phones would be compatible natively with them :p so just being able to insert 3DS carts won't cut it.

I'm pretty disappointed about this to be honest. The Switch is probably going to be my first home console, and I really wanted to play the Zelda remakes and some other Wii U games. I'm just hoping Nintendo will put them in the eShop.
What's it with consoles these days not having backwards compatibility? PS4, now the Switch .-.
The main issue is that the disadvantages of implementing BC (staying on a single processor's family, increasd costs...) Aren't offset by the advantages, if the last console didn't sell, then there's really no point in implementing backwards compatibility with it since it's library didn't make people buy it, either. Ultimately, companies want to move on and put as much power and efficiency as they can on their products, they want their consoles to sell and fly off shelves, and the Switch being able to play a flopped console's games won't really do that :/

Reactions: 423 and Moon Rain
Except the people who need that are a _very_ small niche market. Very few actually care about backwards compatibility, and the mainstream market doesn't enter there.

And, remember that just because it's of the ARM architecture, it doesn't mean it will be able to be backwards compatible with 3DS/DS/GBA, they'd still need to work these consoles' firmware into it, otherwise even Android phones would be compatible natively with them :p so just being able to insert 3DS carts won't cut it.

I would bet being able to just insert 3DS carts would cut it, just not from Nintendo's side of things if you catch my drift. I never said backwards compatibility had to include every system in the family line as it's apparent with the GB/C past GBA Micro and GBA itself past DSi. As much as I dislike the decision I do understand they need to move on but that's no reason not to include backwards compatibility with at least the last system in the lineup. The exceptions being of course when it would require literally shoving another cart/disc port into the new system e.g. N64 to Gamecube and now the Switch with Wii U.

Virtual Console allows a good chunk of their old games to be resold to a new market which is good for Nintendo (heck, even I like it. Certainly much better than the appalling state of the PS Store on PS4) but it really wouldn't kill them to throw in legacy hardware, especially since it should be cheaper now than it was upon the original system production. Ultimately though that's their call to make. If the ARM architecture does happen to be backwards compatible with older revisions then all the better reason to include it.

So yeah, say what you will about backwards compatibility not being required or that not many people care about it; you can't dispute however that being able to play four different handhelds through only two handhelds (GBA and 3DS respectively) isn't neat.

Who's gonna care if the switch is BC or not? I seen almost everybody on here with a Wii U title or two, and everyone else at least a 3DS. so there's no shortage of those consoles.
Secondly, I've noted on Miiverse the sudden spring of new or newb users celebrating their 1st time on miiverse. No doubt it was 'cause they got either of those consoles as early christmas presents. Why put two on one when you have two?

You could ask the same thing about the DS to 3DS, or the GBA to DS before it, and while that's true if you own two systems you'd probably be pushing it lugging both around with you unless you're a die hard gamer. Game consoles kinda get a free pass on this but not really since you'd still either have to set them up with all your other consoles or leave it sitting in storage which in itself is inconvenient. It's about putting it out there as a bonus regardless of circumstance for convenience.

But anyway, I believe a went a little off-topic when handhelds were introduced into the fray. Put simply I don't mind that the Switch doesn't support Wii U precisely because of the lack of a disc port, however if it's any consolation we might be getting ports of some popular Wii U games to the Switch like Splatoon, or possibly be able to buy Wii U VC titles. Only time will tell.

I honestly love the fact that the Switch doesn't support Wii U games, specifically for the reason that once the Switch comes out I'm certain I play my Wii U less and less. However, if the Switch doesn't support Wii U games then if I want to play certain games that I love, Mario Maker e.t.c., I will have to play them on the Wii U and actually put the Switch away for a while, which will be nice since they are stopping Wii U production after the Switch is released.

Reactions: MindzEye and Pandaxclone2
@etrian_warrior I'd be shocked if Mario maker doesn't come to the switch in some way shape or form. It certainly seems like they are trying to remake all the big Wii U games for the Switch to get more sales from it (We've seen both Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 for the switch in the reveal trailer). Also they are trying to push more Mario maker sales by making a 3ds version. I know it might not be the best system for it, being it only has one screen, but I'd be shocked if they don't at least try to get a switch version of marino maker.

@etrian_warrior I'd be shocked if Mario maker doesn't come to the switch in some way shape or form. It certainly seems like they are trying to remake all the big Wii U games for the Switch to get more sales from it (We've seen both Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 for the switch in the reveal trailer). Also they are trying to push more Mario maker sales by making a 3ds version. I know it might not be the best system for it, being it only has one screen, but I'd be shocked if they don't at least try to get a switch version of marino maker.
I get that, that was only one example trust me I have too many to list half of which probably will be remade for the Switch, but my point stays in the other half in that it doesn't change some of my great experiences with the games I've already played. For example, to this day Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is and always will be my favourite game, I doubt there is anything that can change that, and I still play it constantly even though Paper Mario Sticker Star is out years later. The point stands that with the experiences from the games I already have can I say that even with a version on the Switch that it changes nothing at all. Why upgrade something that isn't broken?

Back